1/48 T-55 Tamiya

I've been excitedly awaiting this kit for some time.  I just had to crack it open and make a start.

While I generally love the new kit like many I though the rear engine deck could use a little love.  So out came the drills, files and styrene.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not all that accurate but a bit better than what was there and I think once painted will look okay.  I will start on adding handles and hold downs for the tool boxes and plumbing for the fuel tanks next.  I do hope that some aftermarket photoetch becomes available soon as I don't want to do this kind of hacking again.  That said it is a cracking kit.  Tamiya really do have this scale sorted out.

Dan

• Like 5

Cool, I have this kit near the top of the stash, and now there are two BM masterclasses for me to follow before I build it :)

Andy

Nice work on the fan intakes Dan. It definitely makes a difference. And I see that you've added the deep wading frame as well.  No doubt, when yours and my builds are finished, the market will be flooded with AM stuff. It's called Sod's Law! But I think that Tamiya have got a winner here. The AM boys can come up with so much stuff. Apart from an etched set, my request would be for a decent M68 105mm gun.

John.

Thanks Andy :) 

John - I just hope a simple PE set and turned barrel come out soon.  Everything else is pretty straight forward.  

Meanwhile a bit of progress on the old 55 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just old bits and pieces but its a bit more 'busy'  I'm glad I took some time to make a little jig to bend the two fender bars the same.  Usually I'd just eyeball it and it never looks quite right.  Much still to do but I'm still having fun.  Need to work out all the dimensions for those U shaped turret tie downs next.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 3

Looking good Dan. Are you going to try and replicate the missing positioning lights? I know that these people have produced 3D printed versions, but I'm damned if I can work out how you order them.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3D48th/permalink/862214774262041/

John.

I am going to use them John.  I'm actually the ( Dan Cooper) that did the design for the basic lights on 3D48th but John Charvat has taken that design for the lights and done a great set of brackets for them.   I'll be printing up a set of Johns' revision for this model.  You can't really order from the Facebook page.  It's more a group of folks sharing and modifying designs for parts.  ( Nice bunch of folks and super helpful if you are getting into the whole 3D printing/designing thing.   You need to have a 3D printer to make them at home.  Not too hard or expensive but still a lot of time and effort to learn the machines and get useful parts.  But you can do amazing stuff with those printers.  Those lights are TINY.  Still a ways off as I'm bashing the running gear right now.

• Like 1

Progress;
She's up on her feet.  I really like the way Tamiya do their link and length track.  Just a little clean up and then assemble as per the instructions.  I did glue the road wheels on with white glue so that I can take the whole track/roadwheel assembly off in one piece for ease of painting.  Added the track slap guards under the fenders out of Evergreen channel but you cannot see them without looking real hard under the fender area.  Some more details on the hull to do then onto the turret and then painting!

spacer.png

spacer.png

I liked the Churchill from last year so much I built three of them and I think I like this one even more.  ( Must build the Elephant too)  Who knows how many of these I'll build.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ScanmanDan said:

Who knows how many of these I'll build.

Ah, me too. The possibilities are endless, providing I can source an M68 gun in this scale.

It's coming on fine Dan, and you're pulling ahead of me.

John.

I want to do one with the dozer mountings shaved off and the fenders missing/damaged and no extra fuel drums.  In desert colours as a change from this one that will be green.  I do want to wait until some PE parts are available and some turned barrels.  Lots of ideas for different types to build.  I have to get those tiny lights on now and work out all those grab handles on the turret.  I did like your tool storage and siren and need to do something like that for mine :)( inspirational stuff).  I am having a great time and waiting for some of that newish AK Real Colour paint to arrive.  

• Like 1

Progress;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's the hull mostly done with only a few fiddly little bits like the front markers left to add.  There is more that I could do but ya gotta stop some time.  Besides I want to build a really beat up one with no front and rear fenders or fuel drums next :) .  I've made a start on the turret but there is a lot i want to do to that as well so a fair bit more construction before we get to the paint.  

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 3

It's running along quite nicely Dan. Excellent detail that you added. This kit is crying out for some etched brass. Hopefully, someone will step up to the mark soon. Possibly even some resin conversions. I'm hoping that someone like Tank Workshop will do a Tiran conversion.

John.

• Like 1

I'd like a dozer blade ;) 
and some etched engine deck screens plus that exhaust ring and shield
Some new turret hatches for later models would be nice too.

Lots of little stuff to make some neat changes.

• Like 1

Progress;

spacer.png  

spacer.png

That's the turret about finished.  I'm not too sure about the tie downs as I don't have and location dimensions etc.  I think they need to be made a touch smaller and thinner in gauge.  I might just go with this because I want to start painting and not get bogged down.  I really like this kit and hope to build a few more in the next year or so.

Thanks for looking in.
Dan

• Like 3

I'm always happier flinging paint. 😀

spacer.png  

spacer.png

Even if it is only primer.  I have found a few muffs to fix but nothing too bad.  I'm most please to have all the terrifyingly fragile 3D printed marking lights on.

spacer.png

Now I just have to not smash them while painting.  I need to play with the new AK Real Colour russian paints I just got before giving her a bit of colour.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScanmanDan said:

How's I do John?

Spot on! It looks really good Dan.It's just a shame that Tamiya weren't a bit more adventurous, and generous, with their choice of decals. Still, the AM boys have stepped up. Nice work Dan.

John.

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen. I have been distracted this week by some information Mr John Tapsell shared on FB re ammo boxes for the T-55.  So being easily distracted, squirrel!, I have wondered off to to designing Fusion 360 and then print on my Elegoo Mars some basic ammo boxes for the little scene I plan. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

These are just off the printer with a spritz of paint and a rough oil wash to give some idea of how they came out.  A couple of little tweaks and I think they will look okay.  With that out of my system I can go back to fussing with the paint.  Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 1

Slow progress with the painting because I'm playing with the 3D printer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Did some ammo and some stacked boxes I'll use on the base I have planed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've working on an open box design too.  But I'm struggling with my lack of design skills.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 3