On 6/30/2020 at 8:40 PM, Andreas.R said:

Hello Nick!

The most realistic water and wake effect I've ever seen, really impressing.

A superb build. 

Regards 

Andreas

On 7/2/2020 at 3:07 AM, AdrianMF said:

What they all said above! It’s not often that you see a model (with crew) that looks so true to life. Smashing work and a lovely sea base too.

Regards,

Adrian

On 7/2/2020 at 3:24 AM, Tojo72 said:

Outstanding work,love the weathering and the crew.

Thanks all, much appreciated 👍

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 3:07 PM, Orion said:

Hello Nick,

Realistic sea base and excellent finish of this famous ship.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

On 9/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, foeth said:

Excellent work on my favourite subject! 👍

Thanks both, glad you like her.

Cheers

Nick

Awesome work on this HMS Hood. I 've had a look through some of the build log too and there are some great techniques. The 3-D printing for helm-indicators is amazing - making these is something I've shied away from, especially in 1/700.

Cheers, GrahamB

• Thanks 1

Wondering how I managed to miss this one.  Excellent job, I shall be stealing liberally for mine.  Looking at your pictures of the model in its seascape, it's easy to see where Hood's reputation as a wet ship came from.  I gather her freeboard was much reduced from that of her original design.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! this is top draw work indeed. I'm not really in to ship models per se (aircraft are my main interest) but this is an real inspiration, wonderful detail and some lovely touches.. i wonder if you could estimate how many hours you put in to this?  What's the length of the model in cm? 

The last ship model i did was the Airfix Cutty Sark.. i was advised to put it in the shed out of the way by my mum!  It was a winter's evening so dark  and my Dad dumped a full sack of potatoes on to it by accident, he'd brought home on his way from work! oops.. one 3-D Cutty Sark became a 2-D Cutty Sark! oh well.. 

Pity the real Hood had such a tragic end!

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:46 PM, GrahamB said:

Awesome work on this HMS Hood. I 've had a look through some of the build log too and there are some great techniques. The 3-D printing for helm-indicators is amazing - making these is something I've shied away from, especially in 1/700.

Cheers, GrahamB

Thanks Graham - not sure how'd they come out in 1/700, threading them in 1/350 was quite tricky!

On 9/16/2020 at 12:19 AM, JosephLalor said:

Wondering how I managed to miss this one.  Excellent job, I shall be stealing liberally for mine.  Looking at your pictures of the model in its seascape, it's easy to see where Hood's reputation as a wet ship came from.  I gather her freeboard was much reduced from that of her original design.

Cheers Joseph. There are some great pics (quite scary actually) of the quarterdeck awash in heavy seas.  She got about 2000tons heavier than designed during construction and ended up with 2ft less freeboard than intended (from AOTS). 

On 9/25/2020 at 5:46 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

WOW! this is top draw work indeed. I'm not really in to ship models per se (aircraft are my main interest) but this is an real inspiration, wonderful detail and some lovely touches.. i wonder if you could estimate how many hours you put in to this?  What's the length of the model in cm? 

Thanks for the comment. Hours wise I have no clue I'm afraid. She took about 18 month to finish (I work away a lot so limited bench time). She's 75cm long and 89 on the base.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks Nick for your additional information. It's a real beauty and worth all the hours you must have put in. I asked about the size as I have to have something bigger these days eyes and motor skills. Seems 1:350 might be the scale for me if I decided to do a ship!  Good luck with the next project ! 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 11:55 AM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thanks Nick for your additional information. It's a real beauty and worth all the hours you must have put in. I asked about the size as I have to have something bigger these days eyes and motor skills. Seems 1:350 might be the scale for me if I decided to do a ship!  Good luck with the next project ! 

1/350 works for me too, not too small that I can’t see it and I’ve got sausage fingers! Good luck if you do decide to give one a go!

On 9/29/2020 at 5:36 PM, Dancona said:

I love everything about this, the subtle weathering, the cleverly animated crew all doing something not to mention the seascape, its a great reference,  wonderful attention to detail simply brilliant !

cheers

David

Thanks David 👍