Hawk 81A-2 'Flying Tiger'

Kit - Airfix

Paint - All enamels & AML vinyl camouflage masks.

Decals - Academy, Kits World 48058, Kit & spares.

Extras - None

Curtiss Warhawk 81A-2

Sq. Ldr. John Van Kuren Newkirk

2nd Pursuit Squadron (Panda Bears)

American Volunteer Group

Burma, early 1942

DRGYAwQ.jpg

Iy4WmdH.jpg

4OpHKHj.jpg

zcYBnKi.jpg

8Qaw8vR.jpg

Y8qlvgD.jpg

EDN4qET.jpg

ki5VSJO.jpg

BrJ5CE2.jpg

One of those subjects that I've wanted in the cabinet for so long. When Airfix brought this kit out - like the B-25 - I ordered it directly and may have been one of the first folks here in NZ to get my dirty paws on it. Long-story short, it wasn't an easy build, all the locating tabs and pins needed to be removed from the wings in order to get a proper-looking dihedral, and even now I think it's too shallow, there was also a fair amount of chamfering needed where the root meets the top of the wing. No matter it's all done now and I'm really pleased with it. I found the AML camouflage masks by accident in the Hannants catalogue and bought them without hesitation - d*mn glad I did, because getting the Curtiss factory applied pattern would have been quite tricky. If you haven't tried them for your more complicated camo patterns, I'd say give them a go, they worked great for me - your experience however, may differ. Also first time using Kits World decals... won't be the last, they are superb, reminded me very much of the much-missed Eagle Strike sheets in the way they performed, clarity, register etc.

Not much else to say, other than the wing-fit issues, it's a delight, cannot see me doing another 'Curtiss', but along with the (already built) Defiant, Hurricane and Mk.V Spit, this is a superb addition to the Airfix 1:48 range, looking forward to the next one, (don't tell Frau, but I bought the (early) P-51D this morning aswell). Next from me will be a (very) 'Old Skool' Airfix build, which has already consumed more filler and sheets of wet'n dry than my last six builds combined.

Best from NZ, AFN

Ian.

• Like 25

Man, that looks great!  :clap2: Who doesn't love a Flying Tiger, or the classic P-40?   It's always been a favorite of mine; we had a TV repairman in my hometown who flew one near the end of the war and had a huge poster of him in it on the wall of his shop.  

You've got a real winner with that model sir!  :worthy:

At first view, I thought we had built twins😉

my Flying Tiger version

• Like 1