Junkers F.13 - Revell 1/72nd scale with tweaks

35 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Everything you’ve touched is looking great, and that wood prop is the cat’s meow 😺 

Up here, on The Backside Of Beyond, we use a similar expression, but it ends with a different bit of the cat.

Chris

• Haha 2

Some notes:

Most photos show only ONE control wheel, on the left seat. When there are two, they are miss-captioned photos that are actually from other junker planes, or show a very different inst. panel, possibly of later day.

I will go for the one wheel.

In reality the bulkheads were leaning backwards, to "accompany" the seats recline angle, but the kit has them perpendicular to the floor, which is what I will do, in order not cause fit issues down the lane.

Some minor details on the nose are not particular accurate. I was thinking of opening the "hood" as I naively did on my old model, but that poses many issues that relate to those inaccuracies which will require a lengthy fixing, plus the engine that I so proudly exposed in that old model is frankly less than basic, and will require a new one; thus, I will keep things OOB here.

Again, in that old model I "opened" a door, which was a bold bet that I somehow got away with, since it breaks the self-alignment nature of the parts.

On this occasion the doors will remain closed, but I discovered that the windows could be "rolled down" in reality, so I will do that to show a bit of the interior with more easiness.

The kit has Junkers logo decals for the prop, but, in the hundreds of photos of the era that can be found online of the type, I couldn't see those anywhere. In some occasions there are other logos, but not Junkers'. So no logos on my home-made prop.

The kit, as many of us know, has a few accuracy issues, but only some will be addressed (as shown above) for the sake of sanity and practicality.

Revell, from Germany, the birthplace of this plane, by the way, having access to all kinds of data, online and in local museums and archives, could have done a better job. Even in 1992.

I love that they released these very attractive and affordable kits, and in so many liveries and configurations, though.

• Like 3

The small parts are being painted and set apart:

IMG_9976+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The inst. panel decal is good and looks better than the older issues of this kit, being thinner:

IMG_9977+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The prop with spinner and l.e. metal guards:

IMG_9978+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The seats from cabin an cockpit as explained before were differentiated a bit and given seat belts.
No photo I have seen shows belts on the "sofa" seating:

IMG_9982+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The kit's prop is usable, but will benefit from some thinning, removing of part lines, and correcting slight mismatches:

IMG_9985+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

Sometimes adding little details helps to enhance the visual appeal of the models. Here is a small access hatch that may work:

IMG_9990+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The hatch is replicated on aluminium foil:

IMG_9991+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Then carved out. The foil part will be posed open:

IMG_9992+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This is finally looking as if some progress has been made:

IMG_9993+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12

Nice little interior.  No bathroom facilities in this one, but scope for some “backseat action” 😉

AW

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Moa said:

The Pitot and its mast are rendered somewhat simplistically in the kit...

It is properly known as a venturi meter, and operates differently from a pitot tube. 
(Says young grasshopper to the old master)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andwil said:

Nice little interior.  No bathroom facilities in this one, but scope for some “backseat action” 😉

AW

Thanks!

I have a photo of an interior with an additional fuel tank where the fore seats are, which should have extended the flight time considerably.

Bucket, anyone?

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

It is properly known as a venturi meter, and operates differently from a pitot tube. 
(Says young grasshopper to the old master)

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

I use their names correctly! I swear!

A moment of distraction... and my reputation is ruined!!!

How would I remove this stain from my honor?

Sigh...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Moa said:

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

I use their names correctly! I swear!

A moment of distraction... and my reputation is ruined!!!

How would I remove this stain from my honor?

Sigh...

For penance I suggest you should open up the hood and super detail the engine. 🛩️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Moa said:

... will take forever...

I gotta do something to slow you down. I’m still working on my Electra and you’ve built how many? Three? Four? Since I started. 

• Haha 1

The ailerons are now glued:

IMG_9996+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The kit has an engraved line that marks where the firewall is and that hood went up, but again, if you do that (as I did years ago) things are oversimplified as they are.

The hood was corrugated inside, and needs two parts on the sides that need extraction from the fuselage side parts. Plus details.

Complicated.

IMG_9997+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

I gotta do something to slow you down.

No worries, I can do that myself:

The shed for the diorama that I am building to display this (and other) models arrived:

IMG_9998+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_9999+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0001+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Alotta plastic, here:

IMG_0002+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

I am not completely sure I want to go for an open hood and all, but thanks to the insight provided by friend Sönke, for which I am enormously grateful, apparently a Mercedes engine was used at one time with this livery. That prompted me immediately to go to the drawer where I keep my Matías Hagen from Argentina (From 72Topia,  https://www.facebook.com/72topiaScaleModelKits/?ref=page_internal   ) fantastic resin castings, and what do you know, there are Mercedes there, and a  large number of other fantastic goods that I had half-forgotten I had:

IMG_0003+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Mercedes to the left, Hall-Scotts to the right, and delicate radiators:

IMG_0003b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The other side:
IMG_0003bb+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Totally exquisite castings in 1/72!

Salmson 9AD:

IMG_0003c+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0004+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0007+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Armstrong Siddeley Mongoose:

IMG_0008+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Decisions, decisions...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Oooo. Just seen this. I am assembling, not modelling, this kit at the moment. Lots of info in this thread I could have done with a month ago. For example, I wasn't aware of the Danzig connotation of the markings so went with them OOB.

Anyhoo, as I am slightly ahead of you a few thoughts. 1. The rear bulkhead does slope backwards, the main does not. 2. The cockpit interior sides and front are not corrugated as they should be. 3. Talking of the cockpit the order of assembly is important in that the front bulkhead should go in first. If you leave it, the forward slope of the joystick(s) may be too acute causing it/them to leave no room for the instrument panel. So, my suggestion, bulkhead, instrument panel, joystick(s). 4. The fuselage and interior looks like a b** to assemble but I secured the back and front of the fuselage, put thin polystyrene cement onto the bulkhead tabs from underneath to allow for some movement and let the interior settle into position. Worked like a dream. 5. Decals as provided settle pretty well on the surface with Micro Sol/Set. They're thin and glossy. Only issue is they stick like limpets. 

Overall, when I opened the box I was slightly disappointed by the brittle silver plastic and uncertain fit. It had the feel of 70's Airfix. However as I started to put it together and dealt with moulding flaws such as flash and enjn marks I was won over. It certainly makes for an eye catching model.

Forgive my ramblings and I trust some of it may be useful if not to you as a master modeller then maybe to the others who follow.

• Like 1

In this new societal paradigm of "esse est percipi"*, businesses immediately adopted the strategy of "doesn't matter if it is good, as long as it looks good". Following that ilogic logic, Revell regaled us with a totally new revamped instruction sheet that looks great, and it isn't.
Look at this step (blue arrows are mine): where the heck, exactly, go the bulkheads and floor? ahead of the pips, after them, above them,, between them? No matter what I do, this does not really fit properly. I built this 16 years ago, and I must have solved this somehow, or the instructions perhaps were better.
GGGRRRRRRR!!!!!
*"Romani ite domum" 😄😆

IMG_0012+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Properjob56 said:

Oooo.

Interesting construction notes.

I did assemble this kit already, as noted at the beginning -and linked to that build, if long ago.

I had not trouble with the cockpit interference you mention, and if you look above what you posted, you will see it already built.

I am glad to hear about the new decals being good, the old ones were worse than despicable. I won't be using them, though, as I am commissioning a special set for the livery I am doing (posted above somewhere).

The front of the cockpit is completely bogus anyway, and there is some relief on the part, the sides as you mention are deprived of detail.

The good thing with this subject is that you have to be very lazy not to go online and look at the literally hundreds upon hundreds of photos available to check your particular choice. Revell did not. Good for them, on the other hand, to take care of this wonderful and generally neglected subjects.

I wish they would do a good W.33 and a nice W.34 and... the whole family in civil versions.

Cheers

I see you managed to avoid the joystick problem I alluded to in my earlier post. I'm worried tho about that back bulkhead standing perpendicular to the floor. As I said mine sloped and fitted well into the fuselage.

As to the blue arrows, the floor goes between the studs at the back, the main bulkhead goes in front of the stud just behind the cockpit, the floor I believe goes on top of the front bottom tab and the firewall rests to the right of the higher tab on the front.

Thw words grandmother eggs suck and teach spring to mind but don't forget to pin that exhaust as it seemed vulnerable to me to being pinged off.

Written before I saw your response

Edited by Properjob56
As stated
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, schulz_hl said:

No, the wing bands are white. Depending on the wing colour, German airplanes had to carry either black or white 75 cm wide bands around the wings as an indication that they were permitted to fly under Allied restrictions. See page 10 in this reference: https://adl-luftfahrthistorik.de/dok/zulassung-kennzeichnung-teil-4_1-luftfahrzeugrolle-b-zivilluftfahrt-unter-versailler-vertrag.pdf.

Sorry about your blood pressure!

Dear Sönke:

Thanks for posting the PDF, I have it, but others will surely find it very interesting.

My blood pressure is fine, because... if you look at this photo... you will see the WHITE numbers that differ in hue from the NOT WHITE band...

Hee-hee!

(Photo from ETH Zurich digital archives):

Preview.PreviewServlet.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Properjob56 said:

I see you managed to avoid the joystick problem I alluded to in my earlier post. I'm worried tho about that back bulkhead standing perpendicular to the floor. As I said mine sloped and fitted well into the fuselage.

As to the blue arrows, the floor goes between the studs at the back, the main bulkhead goes in front of the stud just behind the cockpit, the floor I believe goes on top of the front bottom tab and the firewall rests to the right of the higher tab on the front.

Thw words grandmother eggs suck and teach spring to mind but don't forget to pin that exhaust as it seemed vulnerable to me to being pinged off.

Written before I saw your response

Thanks for the pointers on the location!

I am actually mulling a revamp of the nose, as explained above.

Not sure yet, though, a lotta work.

I do have a nice Mercedes to pop in.

The rhino horn exhaust is still erect on the old build (no innuendo here 😆), and if I do the new nose with the hood up, the whole thing will be fragile, but duly noted.

Interesting little kit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, schulz_hl said:

The band was not there for decoration, it was an official marking. There were two options for this marking, black or white, nothing else. And black it is not. There must be another explanation for the tonal values, but I am sure that the stripes as well as the registration are white.

Are you trying to tell me that Germans do not have an artistic sense and do everything because there is some regulation that indicates so? a manual, may be? one with many many pages?

Just because it is you, and you are a dear friend, I will propose this:

The white band was painted long before the new D-1 regs were added, thus losing some of the whitness, becoming duller.

If I ever find that these were not white, but bare metal, you will be soooo screwed, and the amount of marzipan you will have to pay me, will make the treasury of  Volkania go broke.

White it is. Reluctantly so.

Now, where are those darn blood pressure pills?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1