Junkers F.13 - Revell 1/72nd scale with tweaks

I may have to get one of these, I have it's bigger trimotor G23/24 brother in the stash. They would look good together, and I have the Ju52/3m and a Tin Goose just to add to the corrugated fun.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

Fascinating build. As usual.

I know you have lots of photos but maybe these you will like too (there are three pages of them):

https://audiovis.nac.gov.pl/search/e6e46d90c15519035f846682732b3fab:1/

Example:

And another one:

I do have them, but thanks nonetheless for having the impulse to help.

Appreciated!

Besides, good for other modelers.

Cheers

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 6:40 PM, billn53 said:

For penance I suggest you should open up the hood and super detail the engine

Nah- make the bounder build a Mach 2 kit! :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 4

Great build of a great subject.

Another notable historical aspect of the F.13 was that it was the world's first corporate aircraft. The Bata company, of Bata shoe fame, was the first company to use aircraft for business to shuttle their execs around and work as couriers.

Company founder, Tomas Bata, was killed in 1932 when the company F.13 he was flying in crashed on take off.

There is a full scale replica of Bata's F.13 on display at the Tomas Bata memorial in Zlin, Czech Republic, the ancestral home of the Bata company:

HbBXdrY.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, upnorth said:

Great build of a great subject.

Another notable historical aspect of the F.13 was that it was the world's first corporate aircraft. The Bata company, of Bata shoe fame, was the first company to use aircraft for business to shuttle their execs around and work as couriers.

Company founder, Tomas Bata, was killed in 1932 when the company F.13 he was flying in crashed on take off.

There is a full scale replica of Bata's F.13 on display at the Tomas Bata memorial in Zlin, Czech Republic, the ancestral home of the Bata company:

HbBXdrY.jpg

Incredible agility for such an old design, to be able to fly between those columns!

• Haha 6

The interior is ready to go in:

IMG_0017+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

But before that, the transparencies need to be glued from the inside. They are ok, but not crystal-clear:

IMG_0018+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I decided to keep things simple, because I really want to build that diorama airfield for this model, and that won't happen if I start opening the door, the hood, and such. The model will have a very vibrant paint scheme, and that shall do it.

I even found that I have two more Mercedes engines of different types from Small Stuff.

As we know, most photos show the BMW engine, but many F.13s had the Mercedes (and others).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Not many know that some Junkers and Fokkers had the traction axis off-set.

The noses are therefore asymmetric:

The interiors of your models are absolutely something to aspire too! Great work

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sjsald said:

The interiors of your models are absolutely something to aspire too! Great work

Well, in this particular case all the merit belongs to Revell and a few small jars of paint.

Nothing to do with me.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Positively delicious work Moa.

Thanks, Baron.

The plastic is a little bit crunchy, though. Me dentist is not happy at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wonderful build, as usual.

I thought that maybe you could be interested in a technique of making corrugated control surfaces such as rudders with thinnest possible trailing edge that Eugene Knupfer of Small Stuff has invented a while ago and that may be handy for your build

Here is the article, in Russian but with a lot of pictures so the idea is evident:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/2850-izgotovlenie-gofrirovannykh-rulevykh-poverkhnostejj.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well that was frustrating. I could not get the wing and fuselage to fit together. Now normally that would be as a result of my bungling but not this time as the wing and fuselage insert are not made up of pieces that have to be cemented and/or filled with a subsequent risk of misalignment. They are both unbroken. The discrepancy was 2mm which in the smaller scales is significant. So I've sanded ...and sanded, taken off the locating pins in case they were snagging, ...sanded, taken slices offf with a knife ...and sanded. They just about fit now but of course there are gaps that have to be filled.

I suspect the problem was that Revell have carried the corrugations across the wing unbroken and that discrepancy has resulted in the misfit. 

I'll be interested to see if you have that problem and how you resolve it. I've done it through brute force and ignorance otherwise known as bodging.

Karma's a wonderful thing. Found that the painting guide drawing is the exact same size as the model. So, for those like me who are using the kit decals, this is a huge plus as 1. The markings, esp the wing bands, can be placed precisely with no guesswork, and 2. The curved demarcation line between the black and aluminium at the front, which I was not looking forward to, can be done by photocopying the painting guide and tracing the demarcation line onto masking tape. Prob not exact due to the corrugations on the fuselage but good enough, for me at least.

Edited by Properjob56
update
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Pin said:

Wonderful build, as usual.

I thought that maybe you could be interested in a technique of making corrugated control surfaces such as rudders with thinnest possible trailing edge that Eugene Knupfer of Small Stuff has invented a while ago and that may be handy for your build

Here is the article, in Russian but with a lot of pictures so the idea is evident:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/2850-izgotovlenie-gofrirovannykh-rulevykh-poverkhnostejj.html

Thanks, Alexey.

Hey, Eugene is a genius with Superpowers, I am just a plain plastic bricklayer.

The talent of Eugene is beyond this world, I have many of his creations.

Now I will go and do some gardening until I forget what I just saw.

56 minutes ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi Moa

Look out for putting spacres in the top of the fuselage before the roof goes on. The stoppers moulded in are not quite right.

Doing it right will give a nice roof to fuselage longitudinal join.

regards Toby

Thanks, Toby, I will keep an eye on that.

Cheers

I am taking a little break as I just completed, and posted, one of the two Ju-86 airliners, and want to have a bit of time off to see if my butt gets back to its original rounder shape, instead of the flattened one that has now due to so many sitting building hours.

More to follow

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The transparencies went on, a few curtains, and the fuselage halves were then united.

The nose piece was also glued to add rigidity and alignment, as well as the nose floor (still not attached in this photo, but glued later). No issues to report at the moment, save that the engine stands a bit proud (the angle is given by default by the cockpit/cabin pan kit part, but this is easily remedied):

IMG_0068+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Photos show ceiling lights, so those are added (I know, who will ever see them):

IMG_0070+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

And look what Santa brought! (I will build this one on a different civil livery):

IMG_0069+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Moa said:

And look what Santa brought! (I will build this one on a different civil livery):

IMG_0069+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Wisconsin Central Airlines started with two Bobcats, before purchasing their Electras. I believe they were painted red overall, but have no idea of their specific markings, else I’d be sorely tempted....

• Like 1