1/48 P-38 Lightning

I finished this one a week ago, just before the Beaufighters were started.  It's the most excellent Tamiya kit strictly out of the box.  As far as the build goes - it's a Tamiya so follow the instructions and all should be good EXCEPT the main landing gear and door retraction struts are designed to be installed  while building the booms, they cannot be added after main assembly and painting.  They are very delicate and fragile. I broke them all and lost the tiny pieces.  They were replaced with plastic stock. Not sure how to work around this but some smart builders will figure a way. Paints are Tamiya acrylics as recommended in the instructions.  I wanted weathering on it because the turbocharger stains are so unique and I wanted to try my hand at that.  I'm happy with that part but not so much the rest of the weathering.  I think I've lost my touch being out of practice for so long. 

Here she is...

WS-XpU8M_TLTyPSrHC8NxzbfbxaqQb44DMK7t--x

0VVQFbo7YtiX1MmGT7v2xQebK-jkBhrlY_bZqEp6

FvIRqdpJc4b05YZhYCHFTBUk-5z616RMueCV1xAu

nl6Y0p1_9a3GgV1a9Mu2aKS8HVF_CwZA2Llt_v1d

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Well done. I think the weathering looks nice. The great thing about model kits is, if you aren’t happy there’s opportunity to try again!

It looks like there is something on the starboard nacelle that’s out of place. Is that light blue supposed to be there, just above the polished surface?

Nice build, and thank you for sharing!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

Well done. I think the weathering looks nice. The great thing about model kits is, if you aren’t happy there’s opportunity to try again!

It looks like there is something on the starboard nacelle that’s out of place. Is that light blue supposed to be there, just above the polished surface?

Nice build, and thank you for sharing!

Hah!  Good catch. It's dried masking fluid used to mask the "mirror ". I will clean it up.  Thanks!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, whiskey said:

Not sure if it's just me but I can't see any pictures ☹️

I can't either.

• Thanks 1

I think I fixed the links?

Thanks

6 hours ago, whiskey said:

Not sure if it's just me but I can't see any pictures ☹️

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I can't either.

4 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Sorry i cant see your pics

2 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

no pics here either...

I think I fixed the links???

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Looks really good, like your dusty-looking finish 👍

But...I see you're using Google Photos for your photo links - these will expire within a few hours so would suggest you switch to a different hosting provider or all your fine work will quickly disappear! 

Here's some ideas...

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

Not sure how to work around this but some smart builders will figure a way

Pose it in flight!  (teehee).  Lovely job, by the way.

• Thanks 1

So you're out of practice? Wish I some day will near what you've left then .... I really like this "faded" olive drab. How did you achieve it?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Yes, the pics work fine now and show a beautiful P-38! 😀  Man, that cockpit looks super nice and overall, it's a really fine scale model!  :clap2:

Gary Brantley said it very well and I can only echo his words. Well done.

• Thanks 1