Returning to Far East RN Corsair photo reconnaissance information

Jim Kiker

Good evening all,

After a long layoff, I have returned to a long-term interest in the Royal Navy's Corsairs in the Far East.  Specifically, I want to build Lt Col Ronnie Hay's Corsair II, JT427.  I've collected a fair bit if information on this plane and mention is regularly made of the this a/c having both a vertical and a left oblique camera.  I also have the old QSM magazine article that features a sketch of the camera ports.  What I lack is either a photo showing these ports or an official document that verifies the camera locations.  Correct or not, I would like know what the QSM drawing was based on.

I realize this an older, regularly re-visited topic, but I am hoping that something new has been discovered which can be shared.  Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!

Cheers, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker
Spell checking

Hello Jim,

You can see the oblique camera port in this image, at the rear of the roundel, there looks to be a vertical port underneath it,...in front of the lower ai vent;

Corsair-E3-S.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jim Kiker said:

Hi Tony,

Thank you for sharing this picture; it's the first I've seen of it and it will be big help!

Cheers, Jim

No worries Jim,.... good luck with the model, I take it that you`ve seen a photo of Ronnie Hay`s Corsair? There is a pic in this link for the excellent Fundekals;

http://www.fundekals.com/corsair_RN.html

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hi Tony,

Indeed, I know the fundekals men and as you may know, they make great decals on top of their excellent research.  I have long been intrigued with Hay's Corsair, since it seems to have carried a TSS scheme in equivalent colors.  So, it's TSS with a twist!  And now at last I think I have the camera location nailed down.

Thanks again and cheers, Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 8:16 PM, Jim Kiker said:

Hi Tony,

Indeed, I know the fundekals men and as you may know, they make great decals on top of their excellent research.  I have long been intrigued with Hay's Corsair, since it seems to have carried a TSS scheme in equivalent colors.  So, it's TSS with a twist!  And now at last I think I have the camera location nailed down.

Thanks again and cheers, Jim

Hi, JIm,

All Corsairs in TSS have it in substitute colors, those in ANA Bulletin 157. ANA613 Olive Drab, ANA603 Sea Gray and probably ANA601 Light Grey.

Fernando

54 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

There was ANA 610 Sky, AFAIK that is what was used in the substitute colors, along with OD and Sea Gray.

@Dana Bell  is the chap for this though.

Yep, that was the thought behind the word "probably". For some reason, many sources deny the use of the obvious ANA colour, the one you mention, for undersurfaces of both Wildcat V/VI and Corsairs in favour of 601, It might be a case of a well-entrenched myth.

Fernando, sixty-ined in Buenos Aires

On 6/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, Fernando said:

Hi, JIm,

All Corsairs in TSS have it in substitute colors, those in ANA Bulletin 157. ANA613 Olive Drab, ANA603 Sea Gray and probably ANA601 Light Grey.

Fernando

Apart from any that have been repainted in MAP colours.

I am sold on sky undersides and not light grey as per Dana's book: Dupont 71-021. All of the Kodachrome photos from 1943 or early 1944 show sky.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2020 at 5:53 PM, 85sqn said:

Apart from any that have been repainted in MAP colours.

I am sold on sky undersides and not light grey as per Dana's book: Dupont 71-021. All of the Kodachrome photos from 1943 or early 1944 show sky.

I understand Corsairs were painted in ANA colours, and not in Dupont "equivalents", but photographic evidence is a good one. Regards

Hi all,

It is nice to see this thread pop back up again.  Back to the cameras, does anyone have a picture or official documents showing the vertical camera lens/mount?  On American PR Corsairs there is a panel forward of the tail wheel door's front end and the camera mounts there.  I cannot remember seeing the RN's placement of the vertical camera.  Anyone?

Thanks, Jim