CFS Genet Moth - A-Model 1/72

Decals. I knew I would not use the roundels, because I did no like their bright blue. Later I found the underwing roundels were too small anyway.

20201003-DSC-0261.jpg

Then I thought I would be able to use at least the serial numbers. False, I am sorry to say. The underwing serials are missing the hyphen and they are too big. Around 26" in height, whereas they should be close to 20" based on the available photos. And the rudder and fuselage serials were of the same size and they are not on the sheet, for some reason. So the only passable ones would be the rudder serials, but as the Modeldecal replacement has slightly different font, I decided to replace them too.

However, it means using 38 decals instead just 6☹️.

19279120-6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Crikey, a shame about the Decals,  although with your replacements you will end up with the accurate model .  Poor show from the model company on their research .  However they should also be praised for releasing a kit of the type too.

Chris

• Like 2

Big surprise for me today. You know the golden rule for the RAF underwing serial numbers - readable from the front on the port wing and from the rear on the starboard one. Before I started placing the decals, I checked the well know picture of J-8816 in inverted flight, see the post above. And damn, the numbers were the other way round there. Which confused me, especially as only the port wing is clearly visible, and all (two) colour Genet Moth profiles that I know, show the underwing serials in standard rotation. Understandable, Ordnung muss sein under all circumstance.

So I started digging and pretty soon unearthed the photo of J-8820, confirming the whole issue. First time I have noticed exception like this.

underwing-serials.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

38 serial number decals instead 6, means 32 more opportunities to make some kind of silly last minute mistake. Plenty of excuses for procrastinating my RFI post until all Moa's Fabulous Moths are safely hidden at least on the second page of the RFI thread😀.

However, I planned to make the post tomorrow, so today in the morning I was preparing the kit for the final clear varnish coat and decided - just out of precaution - to dust it off with compressed air. To my surprise, central part of the port Xtradecal underwing roundel came off and flew away in unknown direction. I tried the other side too, just to find out the decal peeling away on the first touch. I removed the roundels completely and will give them second try. No harm done, I have enough spares, unfortunately it means another delay.

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 3