CFS Genet Moth - A-Model 1/72

With about (estimated) one more week to go in the Hawker Demon build, I think it is safe to start another thread. I need something more relaxing after the resin ordeal, so I decided for something small, uncomplicated and polystyrene. A-Model offers quite a few members of the 1/72 DH-60 family, I have not found that many builds of them on the internet, so let us find out if there is some reason for it. First, photo of the kit parts and the reference material from my collection.

20200515-DSC-0188.jpg

I will not follow the kit painting instructions, and I will rather finish the airplane as seen at the Hendon Pageant in summer 1927.

dh-60-moth-g1.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 13

This is not nice, it will require quite some trimming work.

20200523-DSC-0197.jpg

Neither is this.

20200523-DSC-0201.jpg

So I started searching for Genet replacement on the internet, but found nothing really useful. I even asked the nice people in RADIAL ENGINES & WHEELS, if they can supply five extra cylinders from their Lynx engine and received positive answer. Nevertheless, in the meantime I first rummaged my memory and then my spare parts box, and found quite usable resin Lynx from an older Avro 504N kit. As, in fact, I need just the cylinders, I think I will be able to select the five most suitable out of the seven available.

20200523-DSC-0207.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Started with the cockpit. It is relatively simple, even on the real thing, so added just the rudder bar and compass, and modified the rear bulkhead to accept the seat harness shoulder straps. The rear bulkhead will need a bit more care as it is evidently too narrow and leaves a gap on the port side.

20200531-DSC-0007.jpg

• Like 7

Interior completed. Compass and quadrant (not on the photos because on the port side) from surplus Eduard Tiger Moth PE set, seat belts Eduard Steel, that - I will keep repeating - are joy to work with, compared to the standard PE belts. The rear bulkhead was too narrow and I had to extend with a plastic stripe. Colours are pure guesswork based mainly on the restored Moth examples.

20200607-DSC-0012.jpg

20200607-DSC-0015.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Too much office time, too little modelling time.

I was not happy with the shallow dihedral, therefore I cut the lower wings along the joint with the "fuselage bar", increased the dihedral, glued the joint and let it dry for a couple of days.

20200620-DSC-0023.jpg

That I should have done at least slightly differently, caught me up today, when the port wing snapped during quite an innocent manipulation with the kit. The repair work in progress.

20200620-DSC-0030.jpg

And I started working on the nasty engine cowl by cutting and adjusting the angle of two out of the five side plates. Next I will modify the shapes of the cylinder slots, which were in fact rectangular and then I can start working on the engine.

20200620-DSC-0031.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

I planned much simpler approach for the cowl, I wanted to fill the inside with a plastic knob and add the cylinders from the outside, However, it did not look right at all, so I ended up building a kind of crankcase from scratch. 

20200705-DSC-0045.jpg

20200705-DSC-0054.jpg

The last photo for today does not present special sort of ikebana, but the five resin cylinders ready for detailing.

20200705-DSC-0062.jpg

• Like 7

Lied to you, I apologize. It is an ikebana. And with extra care it even started blooming. In auburn.

20200711-DSC-0074.jpg

Nice detail on the underside of the fuel tank. What a pity part of it is on the wrong side. Or, in fact, it is on the right side, whereas it should be on the port one.

20200711-DSC-0072.jpg

• Like 7

Engine cowl on, not without some fight. I can for sure understand the pitfalls of the transition between the circular tip of the cowl and the ovoid fuselage behind, but here, in my opinion, the kit manufacturer left too big part of the solution for the modeller.

20200711-DSC-0077.jpg

Just now she looks like quite an attractive little Moth-fighter,

20200711-DSC-0078.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

After returning from vacation, managed to correct the underside of the fuel tank, fix the undercarriage, start detailing the tail section, knock off the undercarriage, fix the undercarriage again and finish detailing of the tail - approximately in that order. Time to start painting.

20200729-DSC-0092.jpg

20200729-DSC-0088.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 10

Masked for white, red and blue, painted and unmasked, fortunately with no more than usual portion of unmasking surprises. The red is in fact "redder" than it appears on the screen, but I had no time to play with the background. Leaving for short vacation tomorrow morning and my modelling activity has been most recently observed with raised eyebrow.

20200808-DSC-0113.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Completed the first painting round and installed the cylinders. Quite a fiddly job, I must say, they are 3.5 mm tall including the exhaust pipes. The propeller is only temporary installation.

Next week I am going to attach the upper wing.

20200830-DSC-0123.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Adding the final details of the kind that is dangerous adding too early in the build because of the frustration from knocking them off repeatedly.

20200926-DSC-0205.jpg

20200926-DSC-0208.jpg

Would you know, what the gizmo on the top of the upper wing fuel tank was good for? Have not noticed it on other but CSF Genet Moths, and further search on the internet brought just inconclusive results, see example below.

8283f3a19fc407102c5ac292b6423f1b.gif

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 7
  • Haha 5

Hi Stuart, the colour is standard Humbroll 60 Matt Scarlet. For some reason my camera interprets it with orange tint under artificial lighting indoor. The best would be, making the photos outdoor under nice soft natural light, which unfortunately - according to the latest weather forecast - would (probably) not be here sooner than March 15th, 2021. So I made an indoor photo with flash and colourful background instead, where the red is now closer to what I see with naked eye, though now it seems a bit too dark again.

20200926-DSC-0241.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 9