Thinning vallejo model colour for airbrush?

Chris Bryant

Hi guys! 

I've recently joined the airbrush club!  But I do have an awful lot of hataka blue line and vallejo model color paints, and I figure rather than replacing them I'd use them! Just wondering if anyone has experience using these paints in an airbrush and how they thinned them for use? 

Thanks guys! 

Hi Chris, I’ve been going through this very thing! I’ve recently bought an airbrush and although I’ve bought some Vallejo Model air paints, most of mine are still Vallejo Model color. 

I found it a bit hit or miss initially as I was trying to thin in the airbrush paint cup. I’ve since been mixing in a small jar to get the paint properly thinned with water and it’s been fine since then. 

I have found that just using tap water to thin is absolutely fine. I haven’t found a consistent ratio as some of the paints seem thicker than others, so it’s a bit trial and error until I get a nice flow. Their Model air on the other hand are fab straight from the bottle.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi.  With Vallejo Model Colour paints I like to give the paint bottle a good shake with an electric shaker, then  dispense a little into a small plastic cup (cheap ones from Reject shop for eg), and add Vallejo thinner for a milky consistency, PLUS a drop or 2 of Vallejo FlOW. Have a good stir, and then pour into the airbrush.  

Seems to work well with me.  I also might add a little thinner when using Vallejo Air paints.

• Like 1

I use Vallejo Model Color paints in my airbrush a lot, just thin them to the right consistency and they'll work fine. Vallejo's own thinner works well, water can also work.

As with every acrylic of this kind, a drop or two of retarder for acrylics will be very useful to avoid having the paint dry on the needle tip. I use Liquitex retarder but others will work too.

Regarding the thinning ratio, it's hard to give numbers, as a lot will depend on how "thick" the paint is in the bottle, what pressure you use and so on. The general advice is what Ratch said: thin to the consistency of milk and you'll be fine. That works with every paint really... personally I mix paint and thinner in a small plastic cup (old contact lenses containers are great for this), the right consistency is the one that will let the paint flow on the cup walls leaving a good trace. If the paint doesn't flow then I need more thinner, if flows too fast or the trace is too transparent, I have thinned too much. As often happens, the best advice is to try different mixing ratios and see which one will work best for you and your airbrush

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VMC can also be thinned with Mr Hobby Self Levelling thinners. It does stink a little so if you have an extractor then all will be good. It levels really nicely but you do still require a touch of flow improver/retarder to stop the tip dry. 

Others have given good information already but wanted to add my two penneth. 

I also have a similar question, but related to HATAKA

Bought the box with bright Ambulance helicopter colours. HTK-AS76

spacer.png

Any experience with these???

A friend of mine had troubles getting these bright paints to cover in an even coat.

And some advised that the "red line" series are for the airbrush but I can't see that on the box. So presumably thinned already.  Still , when I would like to thin a bit more, what thinner to use?

Tips welcomed!

Meindert