1/48 Monogram PB4Y-1 Liberator

Another Covid completion. The venerable 1/48 Monogram B-24D. This machine is actually a US Navy PB4Y-1 Liberator used in anti sub patrol flying out of Brazil in 1943. This one languished on the shelf for too long. The original mold dates back to 1976. One of Monogram's big WW2 bombers.

A lot of scratchbuilt and kit bashed parts went into this one - detail in the bomb bay and kit bashed parts in the nose compartment and radio room. Brake lines and detailing on the landing gear. Accurate Miniatures depth charges and ammo can assembly for the dorsal turret. Koster white metal, resin and vac parts for the rear turret. Not perfect - and I see a couple of things I need to fix, but it's 99.99% finished!

20200514_223137_resized

20200514_223037_resized

20200514_222853_resized

20200514_223115_resized

20200514_223207_resized

20200514_222804_resized

20200514_222837_resized

20200514_223732_resized

20200514_223833_resized

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful rendition! I started down this road with resin engines, resin landing gear wheel wells and such (all of which is still on the shelf). Thank you for sharing this!  Great build and finish.

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Like 1

You've worked wonders with an old kit and made something very special out of it. Congratulations!

• Like 1

Very nicely done in colors not often seen. Your paintwork looks great, as does the landing gear.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Great job on a real classic; kit and subject!   Love the detail work and your paint job so much; super scale modeling here! :clap2: (I saw one of these kits in an antique mall in Giddings, Texas several years ago.  I looked it over but passed on their high price.  Always fun to see one built!)   Thanks for showing what can be done with it!  😀

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Love it! Fantastic job . I really like these more uncommon paint schemes. I have been toying with doing a 1:48 scale 4 engine heavy. Can't decide on which to do as yet. liberator, b17 or Lancaster. I love all 3 but need to perhaps research which is the best kit for me.  It will be a lot of money to spend and I've never made a monogram kitI've been impressed with the quality of mouldings in recent Revell and especially Tamiya kits. Some of the new tooled Airfix kits are very very well formed too.  I'm still learning the skills of filling , sanding and airbrushing at the moment so I want to attempt a big bird and make as good a job as you have. Well Done.. Andy 

• Like 1

You've done a great job on the old girl, she scrubs up well after all these years.

Monogram always were a cut above, I always considered myself lucky when I got one as a present as they were hard to find where I lived. Airfix, Revell or Frog & that was it.

Pete

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 12:20 PM, Alan P said:

Really good job! I'm 99.99% impressed 😉

Well done for preserving the raised lines, looks all the better for it. 

Love that comment - made me laugh out loud. Nicely built Liberator too!

• Like 1