1/72 Phoenix D.H.6

Some student work.   

Research: I am thinking I could use some parts from Airfix's Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c scout.

They both used the same engine.

Marked the parts to be cut out in pencil.

Then they were cut out using a hobby knife and a pair of scissors.

DSC4762-1.jpg

DSC4763-1.jpg

Look teacher SUCCESS.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 3

I’ve never seen a DH6 before even though it seems to be a pretty common trainer, according to Wikipedia there were over 2000 made. Any books I have  skip straight from the D.H.5 to the D.H. 9. 

Looking at those wings you might do better using an Avro 504k assuming the chord is similar. The BE has much rounder tips. The upper engine decking looks similar and it did use the same engine as the Be.

But you would at least get wheels and a prop and some struts from the Be.

Edited by Marklo

Legend goes that the wing was made like that so it could be made in one continuous run and sawn off to length at the factory. Only half in jest, since it did make it easier to manufacture. 

Bear in mind too that the DH.6 was probably the world's first purpose-designed military trainer. It's a landmark aeroplane even if it did try to kill its pupils.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 3

It was nicknamed the clutching hand, which doesn’t sound too good. But apparently it was considered too easy to fly which is why the Avro 504 pretty much superceded  it.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

The lesson for today has been completed.  I have successfully sanded the fuselage halves, fuel tank halves, seats, cockpit floor and the other bit.

DSC4764-1.jpg

Thanks for looking and thank you Martian for your lesson.

Stephen

• Like 6

Got the next lesson completed.  All the parts are now sanded and nearly ready for assembly, mmmmm.

I will cut the cockpit out tonight.

Have a look.

DSC4765-1.jpg

I have placed Bert Hinkler (Airfix pilot) in the rear seat.  He must be a giant or Phoenix have got the cockpit wrong.

DSC4767-1.jpg

Thanks for having a look.

Stephen

• Like 7

That's a nice, tidy kit. The one-piece wings will make them quite easy to deal with and using donor parts from the Airfix BE makes perfect sense for a first vacform.  The one-piece fin and rudder might be better replaced with sanded plastic card, otherwise one side will be awkwardly convex, but that's quite straightforward.

Congrats for getting stuck in!  Looking good so far.

Jon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonners said:

The one-piece fin and rudder might be better replaced with sanded plastic card, otherwise one side will be awkwardly convex, but that's quite straightforward.

I was wondering how to sort the back side.

That's what I do with my vacs. All the tail surfaces get replaced with items cut from stock sheet. However they were very thin anyway so in some cases it may be possible to sand down both sides of the kit item and get it acceptable.

Ian

• Like 2

Well the new tool Airfix Tiger Moth has two pilots but one has no feet to fit in!  Assuming the figure is 1/72 I think the issue is that a real pilot would jam his butt hard into the corner of the seat, and in a less reclined attitude?  However perhaps a solid plastic figure accurately replicates the real pilot being rigid with fear at the prospect of flying a Clutching Hand...

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 1

Don't forget that Martian's build has two-part wings so his method will be slightly different. You will have to sand a little more on the leading edge and tips to remove the "tuck under" and round it off. Trailing edge is easier as you just sand it to a fine edge. You will also need to ensure that all sign of the moulding detail for the upper surface is removed as the lower surface should be flat, with no indentations.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

was wondering how to sort the back side

You could follow one of the 'old-school' methods that involves filling the hollow side with superglue and baking powder, but that's a messy faff either better left for small parts such as struts or avoided altogether. 

As Ian says, it might be possible to sand the back of the single piece to create an acceptable section if it isn't especially convex but as you are inevitably going to have to sand it back, you might as well cut a new shape out of card (probably 1mm / 40 thou) and sand each side's edges to a streamlined section. It isn't that difficult.

Another option might be to cut and sand the part as it is, then glue it to a piece of flat plastic card; once it cures you can then sand the flat card side to shape and section using the kit part as a template. The result will be quite thick, but who's checking?

Jon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonners said:

cut a new shape out of card (probably 1mm / 40 thou) and sand each side's edges to a streamlined section. It isn't that difficult.

In 1:72 I use .5mm / 20 thou card for WWI subjects.

Ian

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, sjsald said:

This is looking good! I haven’t been brave enough to tackle a vacuform kit yet...

Vacuform kits are not hard, yet.   Like any other kit you need to TAKE YOUR TIME especially with the sanding and check often.  Today I have made some bulkheads out of scrap styrene.

Give it a go.  Plenty of experts here to help.

Stephen

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

Vacuform kits are not hard, yet.   Like any other kit you need to TAKE YOUR TIME especially with the sanding and check often.  Today I have made some bulkheads out of scrap styrene.

Give it a go.  Plenty of experts here to help.

Stephen

Thank you! I’ll give one a try 

• Like 3