French frigate La Fayette 1/700

bianfuxia

IMG_20200513_233453281.jpg

Our lockdown which was due to end tomorrow has been extended to 8 June, a day after this GB ends. So I'm going to try to punch this one out too.

At least that was the plan until I opened it up:

IMG_20200513_233542068.jpg

This was an eBay buy, I got it pretty cheap and I am not going to hassle with going to the post office during the lockdown to send it back (assuming I even could). But just so you don't wonder if that's lens distortion or something:

IMG_20200513_233603628.jpg

As they say in the classics, "golly". 

So what would you do?

1. try a cut in the bottom, then move the flight deck so it's straight, then somehow fill the cut?

2. use some technique I am unaware of to push the resin into proper alignment (can you warm it up, or something?

3. Sand the whole bottom so at least it sits flat?

4. something else?

This is my first resin ship though not my first resin kit. Were it not for this issue, I think it'd be a super fast build. There's barely anything to do really.

Here's what's inside:

IMG_20200513_233531777.jpg

Most of what you see is actually the bits you don't use - the resin equivalent of sprue.

Anyway, we'll see how I go. Advice and suggestions welcome!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Agree, soak it in very hot water until it's flexible, weight it down on a flat surface, let it cool.

Sounds intimidating, but it works. Looks like you can practice with that pour block.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Agree, soak it in very hot water until its flexible, weight it down on a flat surface, let it cool.

Sounds intimidating, but it works. Looks like you can practice with that pour block.

Great advice right there 👆

Hi Rob,

For something of that size I would tape it to a block and put it in water at about 900C for a minute or two, Take it out and try pushing it down and put a bit more tape on to hold it down, then put it in a bowl of cold water. I have done this with thinner resin, but you may have to repeat two or three times to get it totally unbent - not sure it would be wise to try to do it all in one go. You might need to go up a couple of degrees in water temp, but do not use boiling water.

Good luck.

Pete

Hi,

That is what I do with smaller items, but perhaps you are right - I thought cooling it quickly would "set" it in place but being bigger this will hold the heat better I guess, so perhaps rapid cooling might cause stress problems due to the outside cooling faster than the core. Best play safe and just leave it at room temperature with a weight or clamp on, but don't squash it! That's why I said it might take two or three goes as you don't want to push down hard enough to distort it. Fortunately I have never had to bend resin as thick as this but somebody else no doubt has? 

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Hi nChris,

I have come across the "memory" thing before and it has worked. The problem with this particular part is that it looks to be about 1" thick in the middle, but thinner at the ends - not sure whether it will need a little help!

Pete