Hawker Horsley, Vacform Tutorial

Right; I promised to show you all how to go about correcting the mismatch between the lengths of the fuselage halves without having to resort to too much filler. So being very much an Alien of my word, here goes.

I determined a suitable point at which to cut the starboard fuselage, on this model, just aft of the radiator fairing is a good point as the fairing is in the wrong place as well. I then mark the point where I need to cut the fuselage half.

050.jpg

I then took my razor saw and carefully cut the nose section away from the fuselage half.

I then lined up the starboard and port nose halves and determined the amount the starboard fuselage half needed to be moved forward by. In this case it was about .40 'thou.

A piece of .40 'thou plastic card was the glued to the starboard nose section and trimmed to shape.

Now on a flat surface, glue the front and back parts of the fuselage half together, taking great care to ensure that they are well aligned.

Finally, tape everything together and a few swipes of a sanding stick should see everything nicely blended in.

In other news, I finished off the ribs on the underside of the mainplanes and all the flying surfaces are now ready for use on the model.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

Sorry Guys Postimage are playing silly buggers, doubtless the pictures will appear in their own good time. Got fed up mucking about, images replaced with Flickr ones.

• Like 16

Great job that alien !!

Dully noted in my files, I used it for my XF4U but I've been too enthusiastic....

Resulting in a lot of sanding and filling....

Thanks for this thread !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Great job that alien !!

Dully noted in my files, I used it for my XF4U but I've been too enthusiastic....

Resulting in a lot of sanding and filling....

Thanks for this thread !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Hope you can see the pictures now. In fact can people let me know if they can see the latest lot of pictures please. They are pretty crucial to demonstrating how this fix to the kit was carried out in simple steps.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Martian said:

In fact can people let me know if they can see the latest lot of pictures please.

I can see them now, but for a brief while, they just appeared as URL listings. Very odd.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Ave Dear Alien,

When I'm in my service car, I can't see any pics, because my work PC is blocked by my boss...

So, I can read but that's all.

Now, I'm at home and pictures are clear and visible !!

CC

• Thanks 1

Thanks Guys, hopefully PostImage will be back to normal soon as I find it easier to use than Flickr.

Martian 👽

Pushing the nose forward like that is brilliant. And just for that. ( 🤔I wonder how many times I’ve done this now? ) ahem...

”Hot potato orchestra stalls, Puck must make amends” *tweak👃 😵 ooch   

Jont

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Pushing the nose forward like that is brilliant. And just for that. ( 🤔I wonder how many times I’ve done this now? ) ahem...

Jont

Its CC's fault this time!

Innocent of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Jont

Is that a quote from MacBeth?          :innocent:

• Haha 7

When we were looking at getting the fuselage halves ready for use, one of the things we did was to cut away the fuselage where the manufacturer had noted the lower wing was to fit. It came to my notice a while ago that, having thinned the wings right down, what might have been a decent fit had we not put so much work into the wings, would probably no longer be the case. And lo, it came to pass. The lower wing now sat too high in the fuselage. Having experienced this sort of thing before, I was neither surprised or phased by this and already had a plan to deal with it.

I began by cementing an oversize strip of plastic card on to the wing roots and when this ha set really hard, I very carefully began sanding it down, constantly checking the wing for fit until the trailing and leading edges of the lower wing were a near perfect fit to the fuselage. The fit is better than the picture suggests as I could not hold the parts together and take the picture, sorry, not enough tentacles!  This process also resulted in a really snug fit at the wing roots. This might seem a long winded process but the actual work took no more than an hour and the most time consuming bit was waiting for the glue holding the let in strips of plastic card in place to cure.

Next time we will be looking to get the fuselage ready for joining up and sorting out some detailing for the cockpits.

Thanks for looking and any questions, please ask.

Martian 👽

057.jpg

0058.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

• Like 14

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking good. *resisting urge To search for vacu form kits. 🧐🦑

Resistance is useless!

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Martian said:

Resistance is useless!

Martian 👽

Tin foil hats on!  The Martian is deploying his mind control ray.

AW

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking good. *resisting urge To search for vacu form kits. 🧐🦑

Do it, do it, you know you want to ............😈

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

Tin foil hats on!  The Martian is deploying his mind control ray.

AW

Judging by the rash of vacform builds, he did so some time ago!

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Do it, do it, you know you want to ............😈

He has known that from the start and if he doesn't, we have the secret weapon. (Hot potato, orchestra stalls etc).

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I wish some of my injection kits fitted that well!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Public announcement....

Latest on Martian contact..

Martian contacted me across the sub ether today to announce that, for a wee while anyway, he won't be able to update his build threads due to a complete and gratuitous total existence failure of his one and only Dell PC. Apparently they have to order the parts from somewhere here on planet Wibble and transport them to Mars along with a goodly supply of toilet rolls and a copy or two of King & Country (as backup). Elon Musk has offered the use of his shiny flying grain silo, better known as 'Starship', so everything should be back up and running in an Earth week or two. He apologises for any inconvenience caused at this time, any complaints should to be forwarded to the local Martian Postal Service offices where they will be promptly vaporised...

End of transmission... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, general melchett said:

Public announcement....

Latest on Martian contact..

Martian contacted me across the sub ether today to announce that, for a wee while anyway, he won't be able to update his build threads due to a complete and gratuitous total existence failure of his one and only Dell PC. Apparently they have to order the parts from somewhere here on planet Wibble and transport them to Mars along with a goodly supply of toilet rolls and a copy or two of King & Country (as backup). Elon Musk has offered the use of his shiny flying grain silo, better known as 'Starship', so everything should be back up and running in an Earth week or two. He apologises for any inconvenience caused at this time, any complaints should to be forwarded to the local Martian Postal Service offices where they will be promptly vaporised...

End of transmission... 

I heard on the grapevine that  there is an abundant crop of Martian Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot red wine on Mars so I hope this not and excuse

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Haha 2