16 hours ago, Bill Livingston said:

You needed to remove the moulded on catch before adding the PE one. Thats the reason it doesn't sit cleanly and the brackets are at an angle. I think if you take it off you can redo it... There are two spare brackets on the fret... so you just have to rescue the bar and lever catch

Your painting of the grey steel crow bar is a lot neater than mine will be though... its absolutely excellent,  perhaps we should build this part together!🤣

How did you paint the moulded on crow bar so well though? I need to learn how to do that!

Youre right bill now it has 2 bars and levers 

i didnt see it doh!

the Crow bar i used a soft silver pencil

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dansk said:

the Crow bar i used a soft silver pencil

Thats a very good idea... I will do the same. Thanks for that!

(You should try to redo the door... you have spare brackets and its worth the trouble. The big worry is the bar and catch... its very fine and if the bar is glued in place, it may not be worth it. Too risky.

I used a tiny dot of superglue, applied with the tip of a scalpel, to glue the brackets in place after scraping off the moulded on detail and then sanding it flat, and then, once the brackets had set, fed the bar and catch through with tweezers and then used gloss varnish to 'glue' the bar into the brackets. Its actually not that hard to do...).

Hiya Bill

My skills are not where yours are i’m afraid - the door latch is still a bit wonky under a macro lens, a bit bent, but looks ok in reality. Im just not good with photoetch that small fiddly. Gonna run with a wash on it now. Actually i might leave the door closed. If i did it properly from the beginning i think next time i might be better. Thanks for the good vibes and help though 👍🙏

49912748398_faab68c0a4_h.jpg

My spitfire got treated to a coat of primer this evening.

I can see some areas still need attention though.

49914040037_117a3eac46_h.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

You're making good progress Paul. 

Is that the Eduard Brassin engine cowl in action?

it is

its a replacement they sent me

(exactly the same as the non fitting first one)

i pulled it off after this shot, it wasnt sitting right

gonna try modding the original one again

47 minutes ago, Dansk said:

it is

Amazing that Eduard failed massively on this cowl, reading the comments on this subject in past as well decided me to keep the kit part.

Strange that it hadn’t been corrected after all this time ..

I love your spitfire and how it comes together 👍🏻

cheers, Jan

52 minutes ago, Dansk said:

it is

Same as what I did on my first Eduard Mk IX build. I got their resin cowl and now it resides in the Spitfire spares box. After your first build you really do not have an issue with the split cowl anyway. 

• Like 1

Ok the undersides have had a nice coat of medium sea gray.

i’ve done the same for the radiator housings.

49923625258_68c123f6ea_h.jpg

im unsure whether to attach these housings now or after invasion stripes?

Where the invasion stripes painted under the ‘entrance’ and ‘exit’ of the housing? If so it might be easier to paint that area before i attached them.

• Like 3

I'm not sure either, but I haven't seen any with the stripes painted on the inside... I doubt they would have done it during those few hours overnight, and I doubt they would've at a maintenance unit when there was more time to do a proper job. I think it is safe to say, paint over them, no need to paint inside them.

I attached mine, but put masking over the radiator faces in such a way that I could reach in with tweezers and pull out once the main painting had finished. If you look at my build there is a photo... they pulled out very nicely, so thats a technique I will use again...

Looking very good by the way... nice preshading effect.

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didnt photograph the grey unfortunately bill.
But heres todays update.
We have stripes now!

49934067641_770f4c315e_h.jpg

49934374287_5c4a28a77e_h.jpg

49933552573_f2a31d4449_h.jpg

49933552583_f438a9723f_h.jpg

49934067621_2355ca46b1_h.jpg

I made a couple of booboos

This was the last bit of white at the rear there, and i goofed and drowned it. I’ll leave it as its underneath and the rest of the white is semi opaque. Weathering might hide it. The drip in the panel is now fixed though.

49934374277_a19f04ade8_h.jpg

White Overspray on the nose here...(now fixed)
49933552253_598880c36d_h.jpg

Overspray here...

49934067596_1b4624d3e9_h.jpg

I’ll Fix next round

Now shes had a pre-decal gloss coat.
49934374292_365924e101_h.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Very nicely painted Paul!

I see that you (as me) haven't added the hooks for the belly fuel tank. Any other reason for it except that those are fiddly to get in place properly?

Thanks christer

which part do you mean? I havent added all the aerials and small parts and lights etc until the end as i always knock them off. 

this version has bomb racks also to be added later

Edited by Dansk

Having recently gone through exactly the same process I have to say you have done a wonderful job. 

The stripes look excellent and I'm impressed with the result... they are very neat and yet still not stark which is a very difficult balance... and I think you are right, weathering will deal with one or two issues that you seem to be slightly concerned about - while most of us will be hopeful that they will achieve as good a result as you have... I know I will!

That last photograph looks really clean and sharp and a perfect base for the decalling and weathering process. First class... This is going to end up as an absolutely stunning model. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

Very nice Paul - what varnish are you using for the gloss coat? You've achieved a very good finish with it.

Steve

Thanks chaps 🙏 its got some rough edges in the flesh though but i appreciate your nice words 🙂

steve i used klear / future floor polish airbrushed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1