Hi all,
Been a little in the modeling mojo doldrums of late, so i figured another build online with support might help.

The last eduard spit kit i built for this GB was so forgiving to put together (apart from the cowl) and so enjoyable that i’ve opted to make another. This time a late mk IXc. 

49894953563_f76eae86db_b.jpg

I think I might go for the boxart scheme of mh712, ‘Pat’ from 302 squadron, a polish unit involved in d-day, hence the stripes, not sure yet.

49895469991_1005bfe738_b.jpg

Theres a few goodies i bought in addition to the box offerings...

49894954553_11d39ca2b1_b.jpg

Not much progress this eve but it’s a start, all of this has had a prime, although its extremely difficult to see! 😊

49894954548_e437802444_b.jpg

Wish me luck for a mojo restoration chaps.

• Like 9

That is a good start! You are in good company as there are a few Eduard offerings and like you most seem to be tackling two. Spit suits the stripes...and you did really well with your first kit! It inspired me 

• Thanks 1

Hi Paul,

Can't believe you're in the modelling doldrums. What a fine kit to choose as therapy!

Ray

• Like 1

Nice kit (another I have lurking in the stash - if this GB went on for a year, I would still have Spits hanging around :crosseyed:).

Best wishes with this one Paul, looking forward to following!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Nice kit (another I have lurking in the stash - if this GB went on for a year, I would still have Spits hanging around

In fact the Eduard kit is such a nice kit it is unlikely that the old Tamiya and ICM I have in my stash will get built in my life time. I have at least 25 unbuilt 1/48 Spitfires and unless it's in for heavy mods, the 2010's and '20's kit are all that are likely to get built. I will make two exceptions - the Airfix Mk 22/24 and FR 47. And now I am looking forward to another Mk I - the new Eduard rendition in a few months.

I found I avoid the modelling doldrums by:

1. Not starting something new, finish what I have. It's either that or toss it. Then you only have one thing on the bench. This is good discipline because you learn a lot of good techniques in recovering problems that may have caused you to stall. 

2. If stalled focus on some part or section like "OK, I'll make that prop and spinner and finish it today",

3. Go for a change of pace - I built a Dragon Tiger 1 last year and my did I enjoy that, what a pleasure to stick nearly a whole kit together and then paint and weather, and of course;

4. Build a kit that is just beautiful like what Paul is doing.

Paul looks like a good start, I'll follow your build with interest.

Ray 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wish you luck? Mate, you're smashing it. Great kit, great start, looks good and makes me want to start one too... but I'll finish the ones I'm building first. :) 

Following with interest

PR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here we go christer, Some progress on the cockpit here.

the kit is fantastic

Ready to seal up the fuselage next.
A lot of work but its mostly hidden in situ.

49903934358_5ba9649bd0_k.jpg

49904753992_bcbb750226_h.jpg

49904753977_3aef17e17c_h.jpg

Something quite interesting i think is that the plastic kit wheels (right) to my eyes look better than the resin AM (left)
Notice ‘Donlup’ to avoid copyright issues :)

49904454366_4c06d41582_h.jpg

Think I’ll go four-spoke from the kit...

Kit wheels have not had a wash here but resins have.

49904454336_ad3fac847c_h.jpg

ps cockpit had a very discrete dark gray wash and just a touch of dry brush. Thought i’s try to be reserved on this build.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I found I avoid the modelling doldrums by:

1. Not starting something new, finish what I have. It's either that or toss it. Then you only have one thing on the bench. This is good discipline because you learn a lot of good techniques in recovering problems that may have caused you to stall. 

2. If stalled focus on some part or section like "OK, I'll make that prop and spinner and finish it today",

3. Go for a change of pace - I built a Dragon Tiger 1 last year and my did I enjoy that, what a pleasure to stick nearly a whole kit together and then paint and weather, and of course;

4. Build a kit that is just beautiful like what Paul is doing.

Paul looks like a good start, I'll follow your build with interest.

Ray 

Thanks everyone and Thanks ray thats great advice. I kept starting new kits and trying to rush them - thats not good.

• Like 3

Heres photos of ‘pat’ from ww2.

i think i’ll try to echo them with weathering. 
also The tyres look treadless to me so going for the kit wheel is the best choice.

49904656461_ccd540f66a_k.jpg

• Like 4

Brilliant work, and just as I’d completed my IXe and was reaching to finish my SU-33 over on the navy GB, stumbled across this now I want to switch back to my IXc as your builds really look great...

• Thanks 1

Paul,

Excellent work on the cockpit.

9 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Interesting to see that the Brassin wheel hub was of the correct size for your examples.

And mine were not.

Ray

• Sad 1

This is looking fabulous... and that IP looks really good. I have not seen the 'Look' panels in the flesh... are they really that much better than the Eduard PE that comes in the Profipak? It looks a LOT better, but its not quite the same as seeing them side by side.

The weathering is going to be a bit of a challenge... especially the wear and tear on the wing root... its very worn and yet very spread out... The finished cockpit looks excellent... 

Thanks Bill

I can’t work out if i’m cheating using the Löök panel. It’s plug and play and maybe too easy. PE looks as good IRL but at least requires some construction.

• Like 1

When eduard bring out their new Kömplëtë cockpits series next year (100% done cockpit you just glue in place) thats when its really cheating 

...just kidding 😉

• Haha 3

You needed to remove the moulded on catch before adding the PE one. Thats the reason it doesn't sit cleanly and the brackets are at an angle. I think if you take it off you can redo it... There are two spare brackets on the fret... so you just have to rescue the bar and lever catch

Your painting of the grey steel crow bar is a lot neater than mine will be though... its absolutely excellent,  perhaps we should build this part together!🤣

How did you paint the moulded on crow bar so well though? I need to learn how to do that!

Edited by Bill Livingston