Revell F-14D Super Tomcat 1/72

This is the Revell F-14D Super Tomcat 1/72 kit. I've been waiting to do an F-14 since I got back into modelling a few years ago.

The last one I built was the Airfix one in the late 1970's, I remember it was white plastic and was one of the first models I actually painted with the intentions of it being a model for displaying rather than a toy. This kit had a lot to live up to as it was competing with fond childhood memories of a kit that by todays standards, would probably not be nearly as good as I remember it being.

Revell have nothing to worry about as far as the build goes. It went together very nicely, and although I'm not an F-14 expert, it was accurate enough for my liking. It was completed straight from the box using the kit decals and painted with Vallejo Model Air paints (which I'm now used to after the switch from Humbrol enamels and love).

I managed to get some outside photo's the other day, hope you enjoy.

49738648347_96cd220cc3_b.jpg 49737773068_53a3e1339e_b.jpg 49737773078_f4770c238b_b.jpg 49738648362_e1765e50e9_b.jpg 49738320576_ab5b5230d5_b.jpg 49738320566_9ba89645ee_b.jpg 49738320586_2d8cb791d4_b.jpg

• Like 18

Gorgeous looking tomcat :) love the subtle weathering, looks superb 

• Like 1

Nice rendition of Revell's kit!

I remember a neighbour building the Airfix kit, back in the day - we were quite impressed with the detail at the time (which says something for how kits have improved in detail since then).

Well done on your Revell example!

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Beautiful Tomcat! I did build the Airfix F-14 when it came out, and it has followed me all the way here (it does need de-dusting!).

And indeed the Revell Tomcat looks much more detailed.

You have done a great job. Congrats are in order.

I assume that you have airbrushed your Vallejo paint?

Well done.

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Beautiful Tomcat! I did build the Airfix F-14 when it came out, and it has followed me all the way here (it does need de-dusting!).

And indeed the Revell Tomcat looks much more detailed.

You have done a great job. Congrats are in order.

I assume that you have airbrushed your Vallejo paint?

Well done.

JR

Yes I did use an airbrush. After years of building kits when I was younger, having that 20 to 25 year break that a lot of us seem to have had, then getting back into it, all using Humbrol enamels and a brush, I switched to an airbrush a couple of years ago. Then got fed up of the protection needed and the smells associated with spraying enamel paints and last year switched to Vallejo Model Air after a bit of research. Occasionally if I can't get the right colour I'll use mig acrylic. Now I don't even need to ventilate the room when I spray as they give off no smell and no dangerous fumes. All the metallics I use are Alclad 2. On this model the jet exhausts are painted with Alclad 2.

• Like 1