1/700 Flyhawk Deluxe HMS Prince of Wales

Have you looked at your masts yet ? I have both the Denmark Strait version and the as lost version and in both kits the mast supports, Parts X43 and X44 are broken in both kits. How are yours ?

23 hours ago, foeth said:

Incidentally, there was no pompom director fitted in the aft superstructure...

Thanks Foeth, albeit too late for me I’m afraid. Surprised they got this wrong in the kit!

2 hours ago, smyfe said:

Hi, what a great build so far, I am building this myself at the moment. Many thanks to your pictures as I had somehow managed to swap the main directors with the pom pom directors, now sorted thanks to you. As a side note, and this is by no way intended as criticism, the handling davits on the searchlight platforms should have the little cones cut off, they are part of the sprue. Keep up the great work, following closely.

Hi Smyfe,

Thanks. No offence taken at all, always glad for input. But, again too late for me as the superstructures have been painted now. I did wonder about these, they weren’t sprue attachment points so assumed they were detail - I really must start checking stuff! If you haven’t done these yet, they are incredibly delicate - I broke two before I’d got any on the model...

Guy

ps looking forward to seeing yours!

2 hours ago, smyfe said:

Have you looked at your masts yet ? I have both the Denmark Strait version and the as lost version and in both kits the mast supports, Parts X43 and X44 are broken in both kits. How are yours ?

Yes, mine seem Ok apart from one small break that I can repair, although in my last Flyhawk kit the masts were totally unusable as they were distorted beyond repair. I think it’s just the fine nature of the moulding. Although I am worried about mine bending under any tension from the rigging. I think these really ought to be brass. I had a look but couldn’t find any brass replacement masts for the PoW in this scale? Any ideas here?

Incidentally, I wouldn’t expect much help from Flyhawk, as much as I love the kits I had a issue with a 1/72 tank of theirs - the wrong hull part.

I emailed and they sent me one back saying go back to the dealer - but it was from China so no chance there - I emailed a further 7 times requesting the part - all ignored.

Guy

54 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks Foeth, albeit too late for me I’m afraid. Surprised they got this wrong in the kit!

Then leave it on 👍 As far as I can tell they used the original builders plans and minor details of the actual ship were missed (director, ships boats). Nothing really important as the actual kit looks really good. (And then I read about two masts so perhaps I missed something too 😁)

Edited by foeth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Yes, mine seem Ok apart from one small break that I can repair, although in my last Flyhawk kit the masts were totally unusable as they were distorted beyond repair. I think it’s just the fine nature of the moulding. Although I am worried about mine bending under any tension from the rigging. I think these really ought to be brass. I had a look but couldn’t find any brass replacement masts for the PoW in this scale? Any ideas here?

Could you use some of Albion Alloy's brass rods and tubes ?

• Thanks 1

Yes, thanks Richard. I’m thinking I will look at beefing them up. But I haven’t paid too much attention yet as I’m leaving them til last.

Thought I’d post a few pictures as I’ve done the lion’s share of the painting. Came out a little darker than I’d planned but I’m not unhappy with it. Next up is piecing all the components together and trying not to drop any as is my usual modus operandi 🤔

500764-E8-B01-C-469-B-B25-E-18-D3-D37-C8

DA0-FDC4-C-B6-DD-453-C-A999-C74-A0121-CB

9-E736-B92-CA55-4015-AD32-FBD68-AE48033.

14-BBFB4-A-1642-4216-B892-9-EA5-A7-C6635

6-FBAC27-D-8279-4871-897-F-ABED5-F30-D63

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 13

Finally time to have a crack at the Walrus Seaplane. I’ve been looking forward to this bit 😁

The kit comes with PE rigging and struts in a one piece folded section - with the human eye this could look pretty good, but under magnification it’s obviously way over scale so I thought I’d try and make the struts and will attempt to rig it like a normal bigger scale kit, either with monofilament or thread. I’ve pre drilled holes for the rigging and will have a go, I could always go back to the PE if it doesn’t work out. 

Once again, the quality of the moulding in this scale is pretty awesome! 

Guy

0-F5-AB8-D1-3-AF9-4763-8-F4-E-E0608-E50-

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, Gisbod said:

I thought I’d try and make the struts and will attempt to rig it like a normal bigger scale kit, either with monofilament or thread.

wow! I cannot wait to see this!

• Like 1

Hi,

Apologies I haven’t posted any further updates, but I just seemed to get on a roll and suddenly it’s done! 

Re the Walrus, I actually managed to drill all the holes and rig her with monofilament and she looked pretty good! But.. when I shaved off the loose ends under the lower wing, the rigging pulled back through - I guess the wings are just too thin perhaps. But it’s definitely feasible to do if you have the patience! 

Anyway, became a bit of a saga as I then used stretched sprue- only to decide it looked overscale - stripped that back and ended up using Model Karsten fine wire- looks ok, but not as good as intended - and spent a whole day faffing about!

Thanks for following along...

Guy

ps just to prove I did actually rig it...

386-EC3-E5-BA1-D-44-A6-86-B4-DD3-AF5-F7-

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 6

On 17/05/2020 at 12:50, Gisbod said:

6096-FF66-D55-B-4-D46-A79-D-74-DDBFBA48-

Great work but forgive my ignorance.  What on earth are those two diagonal tubes that look like torpedoes half embedded in the deck?

On 18/05/2020 at 13:02, Gisbod said:

EBD50-D7-D-A2-E8-4476-AF96-508-D360834-A

The cranes look first class.  The thing that again intrigued me, and seems to be correct as far as I can tell from photos of the real cranes themselves, is why did they have the secondary extension to the crane underneath the main jib?  It struck me that then the main weight of the load is taken on effectively an unbraced structure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Great work but forgive my ignorance.  What on earth are those two diagonal tubes that look like torpedoes half embedded in the deck?

The cranes look first class.  The thing that again intrigued me, and seems to be correct as far as I can tell from photos of the real cranes themselves, is why did they have the secondary extension to the crane underneath the main jib?  It struck me that then the main weight of the load is taken on effectively an unbraced structure.  

No idea re the tubes, they’re largely hidden on the finished model as the forward superstructure sits over them.

Re. cranes - I’m no expert, but the lower extension seems to allow the load to be lifted close into the crane and still be manageable...

889-B5059-B767-49-E8-AE36-5264523-AE3-A6

Guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An explanation courtesy of one of my father's friends who was a crane operator before he retired.

The extension is called a jib, jibs are secondary arms that extend off of the end of the crane's boom (it's main arm). They allow the crane to have extra reach, but they often reduce the amount of weight that a crane can hoist, jibs often use a lattice design in order to reduce the amount of weight that they add to a load.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you.  Actually looking at Guy's picture, I think in this case it is the opposite from the traditional jib extension (which I fully recognise normally is used to extend the range of the crane).  That particular design appears to be there as a "spacer" to allow the crane simply to lift the Walrus high enough yet at the same time hold it away from the crane.  Without it, I can see the risk of damage to the wing would be high.  IIRC, in cruisers, the crane is further away from the catapult and so the problem goes away.

Good photo BTW 👍

• Like 4

When you have a single-lift point the center of gravity of the hoisted object is effectively moved to the top of the crane, plus the load/cable may act as a pendulum. With the jib that point is moved downwards and the entire operation may become much more stable? Just thinking out loud, but if I look at that Walrus and space they had to maneuver I can image what would happen if a very high point of hoisting meets a strong gust of wind? An extension is not really needed because you can manage that by tilting the main crane a bit?

Edited by foeth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, Gisbod said:

ps just to prove I did actually rig it...

386-EC3-E5-BA1-D-44-A6-86-B4-DD3-AF5-F7-

And people said I was mad doing something similar with 1/350 Swordfish.  Bravo, Sir!