1/700 Flyhawk Deluxe HMS Prince of Wales

Hi all,

Having become obsessed with modelling ships, and in particular- Flyhawk kits, I’m now on my 3rd ship! The Flyhawk 1/700 Deluxe Prince of Wales - Battle of the Denmark Strait kit. Hoping to carry on with the learning curve and hopefully, not make the same mistakes I did on the previous two.

She came in the post yesterday, and wowzer, what a kit. How Flyhawk squeeze in so much detail in a 1/700 kit, I’ll never know. The detail in the mouldings is quite staggering. This special version comes with brass deck fittings and barrels, resin and 3 sheets of PE. Although, the quality of the kit is such, I’m struggling to see the advantage of the brass and the 6 or so bags of resin are going to be redundant on my effort - 1. These are insanely small vents for the deck and I literally can’t see the difference from the moulded ones on the deck - even using my optivisor and 2. They’d get knocked off at some point. But, the deluxe version is worth it for the PE alone, which will offer some significant improvements.

177-F2986-A1-E1-4-F38-92-A9-6453063-E2-A

This is a lot of plastic for such a small model!

45-CB41-D1-2-DD2-45-D2-9-CD1-96890972-E2

I also ordered the Eduard 1/700 ensigns and signal flags and these are very nice indeed, although the Ensigns look enormous for this scale. See the size of the kit flags as a comparison. 

111-DBC06-D3-D5-462-B-A111-F2-A2-ABD3-A4

I got stuck straight in and have got the hull constructed, great fit, but very fine plastic which is easy to bend out of shape if not careful. I’m building it waterline, but it does come with a full hull option.

I've also got the Flyhawk wooden deck. I thought the Artwox one on my previous build was thin, but this is like gold leaf! Despite its delicate nature I took my time with the fitting and it went on beautifully. 

1-F338842-0-E3-A-4-D92-B539-E1-FE0-DB7-A

C3-FE8628-6651-4-E4-C-896-A-5990-F8-C4-D

C0-F92352-D862-4-DF4-B4-F1-C089-BF8-FDF2

451-BEA9-E-9-A99-4161-B707-692-DDBA52131

Drooling over this 😬

Guy

• Like 12

Ooh! I have literally just started this (not Denmark Straits but still deluxe) kit! 

It is an amazing kit, does this version come with a million extra resin ventilators? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

:popcorn: And here we go!

Waterline, so, seascape in the offering?

Geoff

Hello Geoff,

I’d like to try one, but for now, I’m going for a simple glass base, either subtlety wavy Cathedral glass or just plain ol’ glass with a painted underside, either sea-like or just black. I’m basically trying to get my ships to look like Dai Sasara’s magnificent efforts.

11 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Looks like they pack a lot in them kits  :popcorn:

beefy

They're rammed Beefy!

11 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It's a nice kit this.

It’s as good as any plastic injection kit I’ve ever made Jamie. I’ve stumbled across your nice build of it on another forum, did you manage to finish it?

9 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

Ooh! I have literally just started this (not Denmark Straits but still deluxe) kit! 

It is an amazing kit, does this version come with a million extra resin ventilators? 

Only the 6 bags! I’ve ditched mine, I just can’t see what they’re adding to the kit. I have however used the brass parts MB 1&2 and these are very nice, albeit tiny. I’ve left off the MB 3 though as, again I just think they’re too tiny to bother with. Lazy perhaps, but if you can’t see the difference under an optivisor, I just can’t see the point of the extra work.

I have just started the turrets and I will use the brass barrels after all. They are nicer on closer inspection.

8 hours ago, Richard E said:

Hopefully you won't mind if I pull up a chair and leave a stock of suitable refreshments to hand whilst I share your voyage.

Please do Richard - and don’t hesitate to chip in with advice!

Guy

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Guy,

No I never did. Nothing went wrong, I just get bored really easily. I placed it on a shelf safely and it's still there. I had thought about doing a little bit more sometime soon.

That’s a shame, it was looking great. I know what you mean though, sometimes it hard to keep up the same level of enthusiasm by the end, particularly for the rigging! I may try and rig this in stages as I go along before the superstructures are attached - it might make the process a little easier and spread the load! 

Do we know what the rigging was? Would it have been steel? Or painted? What colour would it have been? 

Thanks,

Guy

6 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Do we know what the rigging was? Would it have been steel? Or painted? What colour would it have been? 

Hi Guy I think you would be safe with black for the rigging POW was of the same class as the KGV I recently completed and I used the Kagero top drawings and the Shipcraft books for a lot of the information 

If you need more I could send a couple of PDF ?

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob 😀 I’m trying my best to slow down.

@beefy66 Ah thanks Beefy! That would be very helpful if you don’t mind... 

Just onto the forward superstructure - and the minute PE. Would these be range finders? The finished PE’d part against the kit offering. There are 5 of these on this section. 

FBA187-B5-74-A9-45-EC-B425-F781-ABF97-B4

And, as ever, a sense of scale:

92-D00-DD3-B507-4-B2-A-BDFC-93-AEB6-A146

Having great fun with it so far! 

Guy

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks Rob 😀 I’m trying my best to slow down.

@beefy66 Ah thanks Beefy! That would be very helpful if you don’t mind... 

Just onto the forward superstructure - and the minute PE. Would these be range finders? The finished PE’d part against the kit offering. There are 5 of these on this section. 

FBA187-B5-74-A9-45-EC-B425-F781-ABF97-B4

And, as ever, a sense of scale:

92-D00-DD3-B507-4-B2-A-BDFC-93-AEB6-A146

Having great fun with it so far! 

Guy

That's amazing...I didn't know Humbrol came in 5 litre tins!

• Haha 7

The small parts represent the directors for the multiple 2-pounder pompom mountings, fitted with the aerials Type 282 RDF (later called "radar").  Type 285 was fitted to her HA.DCTs (two above the bridge, two on the after superstructure), with six Yagi arrays, rather than the two fitted for Type 282.

Edited by Our Ned
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s all Greek to me! But learning a lot 👍

Think I’ve finished construction on the superstructure. Everything fits beautifully making it a little easier in this demanding scale!

228-B3903-CED1-4-F3-C-9476-88-F0-B87-F71

0-F4-E6-DBC-D644-485-E-9302-F98-F66-FD45

7-CE1-F1-AA-ACB2-48-C2-B6-DD-BCB4955-E84

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 13

Turrets were next on the list.

As nicely as the plastic barrels were moulded, you still can’t beat the clean look of brass.

The railings were a bit tricky as the ones here don’t have a bar along the bottom so the only point of contact is the upright post - basically nothing. I glued these numerous times only for them to fall off again. I might give them an overcoat of ‘Klear’ to give a bit more adhesion? Sneezing here not recommended! Any tips welcome.

EEB681-B3-1-D8-D-4850-9276-8909-CE1-E17-

9-D2-B6-CC2-274-F-4-B6-B-B7-D8-BBF22-EDF

Guy

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

Turrets were next on the list.

As nicely as the plastic barrels were moulded, you still can’t beat the clean look of brass.

The railings were a bit tricky as the ones here don’t have a bar along the bottom so the only point of contact is the upright post - basically nothing. I glued these numerous times only for them to fall off again. I might give them an overcoat of ‘Klear’ to give a bit more adhesion? Sneezing here not recommended! Any tips welcome.

EEB681-B3-1-D8-D-4850-9276-8909-CE1-E17-

9-D2-B6-CC2-274-F-4-B6-B-B7-D8-BBF22-EDF

Guy

Stunning work as always!

It might be worth trying to make a small nick with a hobby knife in the plastic where the uprights go, then apply a dot of CA to the nicks before popping the railings on.

It might not be great on the railings but it worked on my ventilators

Joel

• Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

It might be worth trying to make a small nick with a hobby knife in the plastic where the uprights go, then apply a dot of CA to the nicks before popping the railings on.

It might not be great on the railings but it worked on my ventilators

Joel

That’s actually a really good idea Joel, amazed I hadn’t thought of that myself - thanks!

Another sub-superstructure done. The Pom-Poms are pretty stunning straight out of the box and the PE is the cherry on the cake 😊

6096-FF66-D55-B-4-D46-A79-D-74-DDBFBA48-

Guy

• Like 7

Last superstructure done - aft (minus life boats etc).

my PE skills have definitely improved from the last build, hopefully they’ll continue to do so. That said, it’s super macro photography so go easy! 😄

227-EF9-E4-1128-4-E65-A5-AB-CA5-AFABEA4-

73-E21-AF9-6377-43-C2-8660-CB772-D24-EC7

82233906-4694-4671-A862-48948-CC8681-A.j

1-EEA5-EAA-EC12-438-F-8916-8317-AAC16064

I’ve managed to do the cranes too - which I was dreading, but actually, they’ve turned out ok.

EBD50-D7-D-A2-E8-4476-AF96-508-D360834-A

So here’s where I’m at (can’t resist ‘playing’ with the model and keep adding the structures to see what they look like!)

FD3-BDBA4-CFB4-4-C87-9-A61-EE767-E1447-E

70981-B9-C-7-E0-D-47-C6-AA47-C89-C02-AC3

Thanks for looking in,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hi, what a great build so far, I am building this myself at the moment. Many thanks to your pictures as I had somehow managed to swap the main directors with the pom pom directors, now sorted thanks to you. As a side note, and this is by no way intended as criticism, the handling davits on the searchlight platforms should have the little cones cut off, they are part of the sprue. Keep up the great work, following closely.

• Like 1