Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk Ib, HMS Eagle, Operation Pedestal

Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk Ib, HMS Eagle, 1942.

Altough overshadowed by the Spitfire during the Battle of Britain the Hurricane accounted for 60% of total losses by the Luftwaffe during that time. Built by 3 other countries as well as Britain, nearly 14,500 were built and it served till the end of the war in all theatres.

This Sea Hurricane was part of 801 sqn, FAA, aboard the aircraft carrier HMS Eagle, part of a convoy which sailed to Malta with supplies. Of the 14 merchant ships that left the UK only 5 made it to Malta and more than 500 Merchant and Royal Navy sailors and airmen lost their lives, HMS Eagle, along with two cruisers and a destroyer were sunk, but it was considered a strategic success because the Tanker SS Ohio delivered much need fuel for the defending air-force there

This is my 5th entry into the 'In the Navy' GB.  Airfix's new tool Hurricane MK I with an Alleycat Sea Hurricane conversion.  Everything went splendidly, the resin parts marrying up to the Plastic very well.  Everything except decals were in the resin kit including the Armoured Windscreen.

Vallejo ModelAir paint out of the bottle,  cobbled together the fuselage markings. I don't know if I got everything accurate but it'll do me.  I now apply all my decals with Johnson 'Klear' and it works great, draws the decal nicely down to the surface although sometimes I can't resist 'helping' a little!

Just light weathering, I know they get hammered by the sea and salt but I never like to go too far!

This is the first Hurri' I've done since I was a kid, I have a fair collection of Hurricane kits to do now somehow!

Davey.

Sea Hurricane 1 sea hurricane 2 sea hurricane 3 sea hurricane 4 sea hurricane 5 sea hurricane 6

• Like 32

That looks the business! I've ordered the same parts from Alleycat and did wonder how good they are when married to the Airfix kit. It looks great. How hard was the tail hook conversion? I'm doing almost the same model by attempting the Hurricane at the Shuttleworth collection. I've also bought one of their decal sheets containing this aircraft. I just need everything to arrive now, everything is a bit slow due to Covid mucking up delivery of 'made to order' castings and the like. I'm sure it will arrive soon, in the meantime I can look at yours. 😁👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Cracking job Davey.Colours look spot on.

Cheers Steve, I'm a bit happier with the Vallejo EDSG since I lightened it a bit .🙂

3 hours ago, HP42 said:

That looks the business! I've ordered the same parts from Alleycat and did wonder how good they are when married to the Airfix kit. It looks great. How hard was the tail hook conversion? I'm doing almost the same model by attempting the Hurricane at the Shuttleworth collection. I've also bought one of their decal sheets containing this aircraft. I just need everything to arrive now, everything is a bit slow due to Covid mucking up delivery of 'made to order' castings and the like. I'm sure it will arrive soon, in the meantime I can look at yours. 😁👍

Hi and thanks. The part with the arrestor hook is all one piece and simply replaces the kit part. Just be careful when cleaning up the rear of the main wing, I took too much off and ended up with a gap I had to fill. Also be sure to add the internal undercarriage side walls (plastic parts in the kit) before gluing on the separate leading edge wing root section, I had to cut mine in half to get them in! 

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, DaveyGair said:

Cheers Steve, I'm a bit happier with the Vallejo EDSG since I lightened it a bit .🙂

Hi and thanks. The part with the arrestor hook is all one piece and simply replaces the kit part. Just be careful when cleaning up the rear of the main wing, I took too much off and ended up with a gap I had to fill. Also be sure to add the internal undercarriage side walls (plastic parts in the kit) before gluing on the separate leading edge wing root section, I had to cut mine in half to get them in! 

Davey.

Wise words most gratefully received! Many thanks. 👍