Airfix 1/72 Beaufighter X - fairings on the upper wing

Simon

Not all strike wing Beau`s had a strike camera in the nose,..... maybe the one in the nose was for the rockets and the wing for guns? It could well be that either/or was fitted,..... best to check for the aircraft you are modelling really. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

(For ease of mind, I classify 'rivet counters' as people who complain, but never build something - as opposed to detail-minded modellers who actually complete stuff & show it)

That would be me, but honestly, I suck at building kits. I'm all thumbs and each one has 5 knuckles.

Chris

• Haha 4

Everybody sux at building models at some point Chris, looks like you got enough of those old crap kits to last a life time so, Mr. Rivet counter, dig one out and start slathering some glue and paint on it. Oh, and don't forget the obligatory finger print on the canopy while you are at it......:whip:

• Like 3

Soon, I hope to get back to my Hurricane. Now that the missus is getting physio for her arm/shoulder and can do a bit more around the house and with ( hopefully ) warmer weather getting here so I can get at the lawn/new garden, I'll have more time and more mojo. I have a few ideas for starting another kit, but I haven't decided which one. Airfix Beaufighter, Special Hobby Delta. Maybe an Airfix Wellington? We'll see.

Chris

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

Not all strike wing Beau`s had a strike camera in the nose,..... maybe the one in the nose was for the rockets and the wing for guns? It could well be that either/or was fitted,..... best to check for the aircraft you are modelling really. 

Cheers Tony, much appreciated. I don't have a photo of my specific Beau, but I'll think leave them both on.

Edited by Simon
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Soon, I hope to get back to my Hurricane. Now that the missus is getting physio for her arm/shoulder and can do a bit more around the house and with ( hopefully ) warmer weather getting here so I can get at the lawn/new garden, I'll have more time and more mojo. I have a few ideas for starting another kit, but I haven't decided which one. Airfix Beaufighter, Special Hobby Delta. Maybe an Airfix Wellington? We'll see.

Chris

Promises promises... And you already said something about starting a Bristol of some sort ! We’ll have no talk of this Delta or Vickers Wellington stuff. :nono: ...😉

• Like 1

Didn't Frog do a Bristol 138? I seem to remember owning one (perhaps I still do - who knows what treasures/dangers lurk in the dark recesses of the bottomless pit known as my 'storeroom', A/K/A 'The Black Hole of Calcutta'). Or did I dream it?

Regards,

Jason

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Didn't Frog do a Bristol 138?

Yes they did- I have two of the kits, and it's actually pretty accurate dimensionally, but needs a better canopy, a cockpit, a decent engine, and putting the oil cooler and supercharger details  inside that chin intake and making proper exhausts. I got as far as cutting out the entry door and making a master and vacuforming a new canopy, but at the time, I had no references for the cockpit and supercharger, so went no further. Thanks to the internet, there are plenty of very good detail photos, and there is a very nice aftermarket decal sheet for  it. I think I also found a good resin Pegasus engine and an Aeroclub metal prop. Hmmm, wonder if Modeling Maestro @Moa has done one?

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to the fairing on the front of the port wing, I've just seen this photo on the R.N.Z.A.F. Museum's new online photo archive, with the camera being loaded:

https://fotoweb.airforcemuseum.co.nz/fotoweb/archives/5003-Search-the-Collection/Collection/PR10373.jpg.info#?c=%2Ffotoweb%2Farchives%2F5003-Search-the-Collection%2F%3Fq%3Dbeaufighter

Regards

Simon

• Like 1