Airfix 1/72 Beaufighter X - fairings on the upper wing

Simon

Hello everyone

Just starting on the Airfix 1/72 Beaufighter, and for the Coastal Command version the instructions tell you to remove the two thin teardrop fairings on the top sides of the wing just inboard of the engine nacelles. Before I go ahead, I just wanted to check what they're for and if I do indeed need to lop 'em orf...?

beaufighter-fairing

Thanks

Simon

Yes. Remove these. These fairings are for late war and post war TF.10's that were manufactured with the Mk.XII type wing. The Mk.XII were never built but the wing mods were used. The fairings are for fuel lines that went over the wing spars. 

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Thanks for linking to that. I have that copy of AMW with the supplement, just forgot I did... :doh:

Interesting that the build in the article leaves the fairings on. I also see that it says "Note that the landing lamp [on the port wing] was filled and scribed, as this was plated over in rocket-armed aircraft." 

The photos of 236 Sqn NT950 MB-T seem to show the lights plated over, but I've come across a photo of MB-P of 236 Sqn (which I thought was taken before June 1944 as the D-Day stripes aren't applied) being loaded with rockets which has a single light on the port wing. The drawing have this on later Mk. XII wing from "late 1944" so maybe MB-P is a late 1944-built Beau which didn't need D-Day stripes?

Simon

Edited by Simon
odd text formatting, plus error correcting.

Back with another wing fairing question. Anyone know what this is?

beaufighter-fairing-2

The R.A.F. Museum's Mk.X has it fitted, and it seems to have an aperture in the front - an intake or strike camera? I just want to check it's appropriate for my mid-1944 Coastal Command Beau.

Thanks

Simon

Simon,

I think it might be for a strike camera, as IIRC, the gun camera on the Beau was in the nose, See the link to some excellent detail photos of the Hendon TFX that show the aperture in the LH wing only, so most likely not an air intake. Betting @tonyot might be your man for this one. The second link is to a video that shows the last Beaufighter engine run-up in Australia. Note the small external wing tank- I am making a guess here that it was used to supply fuel to the engine for the run-up, as the integral tanks were most likely not restored? Don't recall ever seeing a tank of that type on a Beaufighter before.

Mike

http://www.tearle.org.uk/roll-of-honour/war-stories-ww2/ten-gun-terror-the-bristol-beaufighter/

Thanks for the replies Mike and Tony. Was it fitted in addition to the one on the nose, or instead of? The Airfix kit has both.

This shot of LZ293 of 236 Sqn shows the one on the nose, which I'm guessing (always dangerous, I know) is the correct fit for my Beau (KW280 MB-M, August 1944):

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Beaufighter/CF-late/pages/Beaufighter-MkX-RAF-236Sqn-MBT-LZ293-Coastal-Command-England-IWM-CH18538.html

Simon

I wonder! Would a strike/gun camera have been located here on the thimble-nosed Beaus? I know that some had the thimble removed and replaced by a regular nose mounting an F.24 camera. 

Chris

• Like 1

Just looking at some more photos of Beaufighters on the IWM website, and these ones look like some had both fittings, nose and wing:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126567

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126832

This rocket-armed one has the wing camera but no nose one:  https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205212617

This torpedo-armed one has the nose camera but not one on the nose:  https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205093637

I'm wondering if the nose camera was for torpedo missions (both being on the centreline), and the wing camera for rocket attacks? And both fitted to those that would operated either torpedo or rocket missions...? :hmmm:

As for my 256 Squadron Beau, from the ORB entries in June-July-August 1944 it seems they undertook mostly rocket attacks, with an occasional 500lb bomb load instead, rather than torpedo missions.

Simon

Simon, I just built the two different kits and I think there is an error in the T.F. X instructions for the rear wingtip nav lights. I believe you should not use the ones indicated which have small tube-like extrusions but the alternates on the clear sprue.  The ones indicated are a later style and on the real aircraft are metal and the "tube" has a very small light at the end. That said, I'm not sure when it was introduced, maybe earlier on, but if that part is used, it should be painted over.

Cheers

19 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

Simon, I just built the two different kits and I think there is an error in the T.F. X instructions for the rear wingtip nav lights. I believe you should not use the ones indicated which have small tube-like extrusions but the alternates on the clear sprue.  The ones indicated are a later style and on the real aircraft are metal and the "tube" has a very small light at the end. That said, I'm not sure when it was introduced, maybe earlier on, but if that part is used, it should be painted over.

Cheers

It's a bit of a minefield this Beaufighter lark! I've managed to find some photos of KW-serial Beaufighters (I'm doing KW280) and they all seem to have the rear light plated-over with the small tube. 

There's also a great photo on the IWM website which shows an 'intermediate' version of the glazed rear light with the tube as well:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207959

Simon

• Like 1

Simon, I'm also slowly plodding through a build of this kit, to be finished with the kit decals for the Malaya-based aircraft. Don't know about you, but I find it a bit of a curate's egg really, with some really well engineered parts and tight tolerances in some places, along with some soft detail (engines for example) and over-complex components such as the 3-part engine cowlings which simply butt joint together. As the engines are such a strong visual element of the Beaufighter, I really thought there'd be crisper detail in there (even if a lot is buried, the gear casing & front row of cylinders are clear to see).

SBS do a set of engines and cowlings for the Airfix Blenheim & I hope they follow-up with similar for the Beaufighter (and perhaps Beaufort if Airfix follow the same path).

Anyhow, enjoy your build, hope you sort out the details!

Edge

39 minutes ago, Simon said:

It's a bit of a minefield this Beaufighter lark! 

Every mass-produced aircraft has a history of modifications and minor alterations making them much more complicated than the general modelling world can recognise.  Let's all be thankful that Airfix (and Terry, and others) have made these differences clear, for those who might be bothered.

For an alternative point of view, just ban all "rivet counters" out to sap the joy from modelling.  It looks like a Beaufighter, doesn't it?  What's your problem?

Edited by Graham Boak

Fair point Graham. I realise that producing a kit with all the variations introduced over the life time of an airframe's production is nigh-on impossible, and yes, I'm grateful Airfix have produced a modern kit of it.

Yes, I am bothered, and yes, I am of course also thankful to the experts who answer all our questions. I must admit I do find the research and back-story almost as enjoyable as the build itself.

I certainly don't count myself as a rivet-counter (nor do I want them banned - each to their own).

Simon

Edited by Simon

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Yes, I am bothered, and yes, I am of course also thankful to the experts who answer all our questions. I must admit I do find the research and back-story almost as enjoyable as the build itself.

I certainly don't count myself as a rivet-counter 

Sounds well on the way to one, if you ask me (which you didn't).  Not sure what the difference is, expressed like that.

• Confused 1

Not sure what I've done to upset you Graham, if indeed I have...maybe I'm just interpreting your posts in the wrong way? :shrug:

Anyway...back to the Beau and Blenheim for me.

Edited by Simon

I don't think it was meant to be aggressive, but it did have the possibility of being read that way.  He's got a bit of a point, I think: at what point does "I do find the research and back-story almost as enjoyable as the build itself" cross the line to the pejorative "rivet counter"?  I struggle with that philosophical point myself!  Even when I was a kid (at least an older kid) I would come upon some question that would send me off to do more research, while my friends were happily getting bits glued together.  I suppose that the only real problem with counting rivets is if that interferes with something else one claims to want to do.  The struggle is real!

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Well put Gingerbob. I always thought the term 'rivet-counter' was meant as a disparagement - you know, like drawing red lines all over sprue shots as a certain French former-member on here used to do as soon as a kit appeared on the market.

Put like you put it, I think I also sometimes get sidetracked by doing that little bit more research, and may indeed have strayed over to the Dark Side a little. Where's my ruler and red pen...?

Maybe I've been in self-isolation too long...:banghead:

Simon

Incidentally (looking more carefully at your avatar) I'm currently doing a form of therapy by building a naked 72nd Gladiator (the new Airfix).  No glue, no decals, just kit parts.  One of the aforementioned friends proposed it, for us all to get SOMETHING together.  And still I spend hours doing research (not on Glads) instead of hands-to-model.  It is a good choice for me in that I think it'll look great even as naked plastic, but my goodness there's a surprising amount of cleaning up of soft and small plastic to be done.

8 hours ago, Simon said:

It's a bit of a minefield this Beaufighter lark! I've managed to find some photos of KW-serial Beaufighters (I'm doing KW280) and they all seem to have the rear light plated-over with the small tube. 

There's also a great photo on the IWM website which shows an 'intermediate' version of the glazed rear light with the tube as well:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207959

Simon

This image:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.73291667.16962972

Chris

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Simon said:

Maybe I've been in self-isolation too long...:banghead:

ooooh.. that's a familiar feeling :innocent:

anyways, as I bought the same TF.X yesterday, happy to see the why and when of some of those doodads and dingbats clarified.

Don't exactly know what is upsetting about looking for those details, because it sure as heck beats having 'mistakes' pointed out once done.

(For ease of mind, I classify 'rivet counters' as people who complain, but never build something - as opposed to detail-minded modellers who actually complete stuff & show it)

Edited by alt-92
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Edge said:

Simon, I'm also slowly plodding through a build of this kit, to be finished with the kit decals for the Malaya-based aircraft. Don't know about you, but I find it a bit of a curate's egg really, with some really well engineered parts and tight tolerances in some places, along with some soft detail (engines for example) and over-complex components such as the 3-part engine cowlings which simply butt joint together. As the engines are such a strong visual element of the Beaufighter, I really thought there'd be crisper detail in there (even if a lot is buried, the gear casing & front row of cylinders are clear to see).

SBS do a set of engines and cowlings for the Airfix Blenheim & I hope they follow-up with similar for the Beaufighter (and perhaps Beaufort if Airfix follow the same path).

Anyhow, enjoy your build, hope you sort out the details!

Edge

I've just had a look at the engines and cowlings. The three piece cowlings look a right laugh...although having done the Blenheim ones I think these may be a bit easier. :pray: I think the engines are okay, but oddly enough they seem less detailed than Airfix's Blenheim ones.

Yes, that's the photo Chris, thanks for posting.

Simon

• Like 1