1/6 3D Printed Robocain (Robocop 2)

" Things have become a little rougher, ugly and now we need a law enforcement unit capable of meeting the enemy on his own ground, and carrying enough fire power to get the job done."

" Ladies and gentlemen, with great pleasure, i introduce ROBOCOP 2"

The Old Man

spacer.png

Hi fellow modellers. A few months ago i decided to get the 3d print files for Robocain from Robocop 2. The problem was i never actually had the time to start the project. With the current situation that the world is in, I have more time at home and i can finally get started.

spacer.png

I know this project is going to take along time and i hope that you enjoy seeing my progress.

The model will be in a 1/6 scale, which will make him over 40cm high ( go big or go home, i guess ).

The printer i will be using is my trusty Creality Ender 3. The only things i have done is print a better parts cooling fan and change the board to make it quieter

spacer.png

I know their are some other people in the forum that are doing the same build and cannot wait to share our problems, and solutions to those problems with each other.

So my first pics

The majority of the first things to print were the actual support structure and framing for this guy. Most of this you won't see but between that and the M3 bolts, he's built to last and that's a good thing in my household.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So once the frame for the upper body is complete, you can then start to get some of the panels on. This is then gives you an idea of how your frame is and where trimming and straightening is required.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

The one downside to 3d printing is, if you don't get your settings dialled in, you will be sanding and sanding to remove the print lines. I suffered with this until i realised i had set my printer settings up wrong, so please ignore those nasty lines

spacer.png

So up to this point, the build has been small to medium prints that only took between 1/2 hr to 2 hrs a piece. The first big print was the 2 half's of his upper chest armour. With a combined print of about 12hrs this was the first big and visible piece to be printed ( not including the head part )

spacer.png 

The chest is 3 different parts and when i fitted them together they just didn't look right. Looking at pics online, it showed that the 3 pieces are one big piece. So i decided to glue them together and fill in the gap, which was the reason i think it looked wrong

Once the upper body was done, i decided to move to the minigun and ram arm

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Once this part was done, i couldn't resist connecting it to the upper body and see how it looks. Oh btw its starting to get heavy lol

spacer.png

Hope you have enjoyed this post and will post up when the next bit is done

Stay Safe

Edited by Plexi
Picture resize and proper information
  • Like 6

Hi all. The next part i decided to get on with was the feet. With it being alot of smaller parts ( due to the articulation ), it has taken me some time to get it all together. In the instructions it recommends buying some metal made beads for some detail parts. With these only available from South Korea, i decided to try printing them and seeing how they turned out. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

I have to say i was quite surprised that they actually printed at all and once the primer and paint are applied then they will be just fine

spacer.png

Another detail part that needed creating was the shock for the rear "heal" section. This was made from hollow 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm styrenne pipe. 

spacer.png

With those 2 parts done, the rest of the foot is basically just print, check fit and bolt together with m3, m4 and m5 hex bolts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I Hope enjoy my update and will post again soon.

As always, Stay Safe fellow modellers 

Edited by Plexi
Update post
  • Like 3

Well it looks pretty vicious and huge too! Keep calm and carry on printing.

I can't say I remember watching Robocop 2. Though I imagine I must have. Then again it was 30 years ago!

That's what I thought Pete. When I printed the head, it didn't really give the me the scale of the size. Glad you like and I will be posting up an update soon as have had to reprint some parts I wasn't happy with

Wow! :blink: that's massive.  Impressive work :yes:

I couldn't help but notice that the pics were loading slowly. :hmmm:

I tested some of the pics, and they were 1.7mb in size, which is huge when posting up on the internet.  You should be aiming to save your files to around 200kb optimally, give or take a bit.  To accomplish this, you can reduce the size of your pics, as anything over the recommended 1024 x 800 maximum we advise, it's wasted bandwidth and storage space useage.  Most people view these pics on phones, tablets and 1080p screens, so huge photos of 4000 x 3000 px will have to be shrunk down by the forum software (load on the server and delay for the user), as well as the extra bandwidth that is uses up (10x what's necessary).

The downsides of this from a viewer's point of view is the waiting time before you can view the pics, and some people might get bored and click away.  From the server's point of view, it's wasteful of bandwidth, storage size (we cache images to improve speed), and it's also wasteful of the server's resources, which means a slower experience for all of us.

This isn't meant as a "telling off" BTW, more of a bit of useful advice to help you as well as help us.  If you can size your pics to the recommended limits, we'll be really happy, and so will the members :)

Hey Nice work!

im also building him :D

i've not quite been at it as long as you have but getting there!
you've done a nice job of the pipes either side of the Nuke Chamber i've done those not fun! 😅

did you ever work out what the Gundam metal option was for the Mini Gun? 
all I can deduce is that it some sort of gun barrel,.. i asked the artist but he just said he bought then in malaysia,..

and that was about as far as that conversation went,..

you can get away with printing them if you slow your speed right down,..

are you planning of the Screen Head too?

i'll update my post today if I get chance!
by all means drop a comment! My Cain Build

you only down the road from me too i'm just in Leeds
if you need anything just give me a shout! 😉

Dave

Hey DWaz. Yeah i was looking at those barrel ends too. Couldn't find them so i will print them today at a slow speed and post up how they look. I saw your thread and didn't want to post up something that is a " little more down the road. " Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out too 

18 hours ago, Plexi said:

Thanks Mike. I understand. It's the first time I have actually used a forum and posted pics. Will get it sorted later

Superb! ^_^ Keep on posting though, as it's going to be impressive when it's done.  :yes: I'm sure I saw someone build one once where they had actually put a small LED screen in the head to play video of Cain's deranged face.  Wish I could find it, but it's probably long gone.

• 2 weeks later...

So here goes my update.

Due to being lucky and being able to go back to work, i have not been able to post up until now

Over the last week i have been reprinting parts i was not happy with, disassembling the upper body and sanding down parts that needed it.

Some of the new parts i managed to get done are the spinal cord and cover.

With the spine taking 10 and a bit hours, i decided to set it printing before i left for work and once i got home, the cleaning process commenced

spacer.png

Of that 10 hour print, I would say 6 hours of that was just the support structure and to remove it would require a steady hand and some alcohol 😀

spacer.png

So after my mini archaeological dig, I can finally see the prize appear. Its a fine balance of removing the excess material without damaging the actual print. I had a few moments where i thought i had gone to far but was just removing a protective shell that the print had done.

After getting to this stage, I have decided this is going to be the worst part to sand down and keep the detail ( but that's for another day )

Finally in position on the body, i am really happy with the print

spacer.png

All of the spine and cover are held together with some 3mm round pipe so will make the process of dismantling and rebuilding a breeze and won't be spending time looking for where i left my allen keys after undoing the bolts used in other parts of the body.

I have also been adding smaller parts to the model and they really do add to the detail

Rivets and screw heads in the cross beam

spacer.png

Piping that runs from the chest and over the shoulder

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also added rivets around the radioactive symbol on the other side of the body. Special thanks goes out to DWaz Modeller for redoing the actual embossed logo

spacer.png

The final piece i managed to get done was the vent at the rear of the body. The pipes that connect it can be a pain and shouldn't be put together while tired, drunk or a combination of the two 😉

spacer.png

Hope you enjoyed my little update and will post again once i have a few more parts made.

As always STAY SAFE fellow modellers

Edited by Plexi
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I hope you are all safe and well

Its been awhile since my last update but here goes

From one of my last posts ( that was the foot ), i decided to carry on up to the waist, so the next thing i had to print was the "shin " section.

spacer.png

As you can see this is a 3 main part print with the grey item being 2 halves that are glued together. Again there is some sanding and trimming so they all fit together with no stress or deformation of where the screws connect everything

Once this part was done i then moved to the "thigh" section

spacer.png

This was a nice easy print of 4 parts and was all connected with M4 and M5 bolts. The hardest bit to do was to actually mount the hip cover

spacer.png

In the instructions, it says to use some Hex Grub Screws to attach to the leg section. The problem is, those holes are missing. The best i way for me to drill those holes was to tack the black hip cover to the leg section with some super thin, then drill the wholes through the guide holes in the black part. I got it close to where it needs to be and will tweak if needed

Once all of these parts got put together i then printed the connections to the waist section

spacer.png

Once again a nice easy print and sand job. I then added some detail bolts and the little cog that will connect to the main gear on the waist section. Those 2 together actually rotate and provide a nice amount of resistance when posing the model

spacer.png

The 2 waist section parts are a combined 13hr print, so left the printer over night and in the morning i could get started again. I also printed the armour covers and connected then with M3 Hex Grub Screws. I know these will need sanding but actually run out atm lol

spacer.png

spacer.png

So once i had all of these sub assembles built, i connected them all together. I have not fully seated some joints as will need to sand them and will be easier in separate parts

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And my final picture for this post, to give you a sense of the scale of this part

spacer.png

The next parts i will be printing will the other side of his legs. Even in this state of having 1 leg, i have a feeling Cain could negotiate stairs better than ED-209 lol

I hope you have enjoyed this post and will do an update once i have another part done.

Stay Safe fellow modellers

Plexi

Edited by Plexi
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hey! again bud,,.. Just dropped by to see how yours had come along,..
mine got kicked to the side for a bit i had loads of other 3D modeling work come up so didn't have time for mine,.
ive just started on it again,.. so i'll do some updates to the thread!

yous looks much cleaner than mine,.. i'm tempted to re-do it in SLA and keep this one black,.. but who knows

Cracking work so far! and cheers for the heads up :P
Keep it coming!! :D

• 1 year later...

Great work so far on this. I've stalled at the hydraulics that connect the legs to the torso. I'm building movable ones so I can change the pose.

I'll post some pics once I can figure out how to. DWaz can I ask if your radioactive symbol file is available ?