MFH 1/9th Brough Superior

Nick,

FANTASTIC details  and FLAWLESS  workmanship. 

:wow:   :wub:      :heart:

Applauding you because you found it awry  and yet you stuck to it.

And created a SUPER  looking Motorcycle!!!

:clap:

...you did an IMPRESSIVE job. Totally STUNNING to look at, and you did an AMAZING  Job on the finer details too like the VEL and the badge..

Much KUDOS ....

:worthy:        :worthy:

• 7 months later...

I've just bit the bullet and had a major camera upgrade and needed something to point it at, so dusted off the old Brough (literally!) these are all 5 shot HDR images and my first outing with the new full-frame setup. 

I'm starting to like the new camera now after not being sure for a few days! 

50938275978_861288ad7c_6k.jpg

50938279573_c60bf86c46_6k.jpg

50939083342_06e9b21321_6k.jpg

50938975381_3f34a1d8d4_6k.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 14/05/2020 at 19:38, JCH said:

I'd love to see a model that went smoothly.  You need to add a shot with fingers so the scale truly shows.  I'll be damned if you didn't photograph a real bike!  Beautiful photography too.  

Exactly. You know it's a good model if you can't tell its a model! 

This. Is. Amazing. 

I only just found this thanks to fellow biker*... holy bovine!

Sublime.

Absolutely perfect.

I just need to don the old flight jacket and take it for a spin if you don't mind.

*Gary Medland - comment above!

Edited by AlexB
More info...

What amazes me, in your new HD images above you can see a couple of scratches on the back of the front mudguard. And even that enhances the realism!

The only thing I can see that stops it being the real thing is the top of the carb doesn't have a throttle cable. But please don't take that as a criticism, only an observation. Unfortunately in my job I have to try to see 0.1mm errors by eye, so I'm used to looking at details. This is without doubt the most amazing model I have seen, and is almost indistinguishable from the real thing. 

Bravo sir, Bravo! 

P. S. I'm doing a Victor, and it is nowhere near this standard! Seeing details doesn't mean I can do the details! 🤣 🤣 🤣

6 minutes ago, Gary Medland said:

What amazes me, in your new HD images above you can see a couple of scratches on the back of the front mudguard. And even that enhances the realism!

The only thing I can see that stops it being the real thing is the top of the carb doesn't have a throttle cable. But please don't take that as a criticism, only an observation. Unfortunately in my job I have to try to see 0.1mm errors by eye, so I'm used to looking at details. This is without doubt the most amazing model I have seen, and is almost indistinguishable from the real thing. 

Bravo sir, Bravo! 

P. S. I'm doing a Victor, and it is nowhere near this standard! Seeing details doesn't mean I can do the details! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Thanks for the kind words - you missed a couple of other things -the jubilee clips on the fuel lines moved during cleaning and there is a hair shed from the brush used for cleaning across the top of the Speedo - I pride myself on being my own worst critic 😎

I remember now, I did intend to scratch the throttle cables but just never got around to it. 

I had terrible trouble getting paint to stick to the white metal this is made from right from the word go, and tried many, many different primers, chemical cleaners and various other techniques to get it to stick at all. It seems it’s still very delicate and seeing as it’s had no handling since I finished it, I’m surprised at the extent of the nicks, scratches and missing paint now. I’ve never had this problem before, so I assume it must be some weird white metal alloy peculiar to MFH 

As you say, I’ve kind of got away with it as it somehow lends a bit more authenticity in a way. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nick said:

So time to trot out the giant pen

50957661382_afcdaa999c_k.jpg

told you it was a model 😎

Regards

Nick

To be fair, I was certain yours was a bigger one. That's tiny! 

Even more impressed now..... 

• Like 1

I've  said it before ... the ultimate compliment that can be given is that it can't be  distinguished from the real thing.    Wonderful model and craftsmanship Nick. 

Been thinking about you lately as I'm off and running on F360 ... all thanks to you! 

Frank

4 hours ago, albergman said:

I've  said it before ... the ultimate compliment that can be given is that it can't be  distinguished from the real thing.    Wonderful model and craftsmanship Nick. 

Been thinking about you lately as I'm off and running on F360 ... all thanks to you! 

Frank

Hi Frank, thanks for your kind words. 

great to hear you’ve finally made friends with fusion 360, I’m glad you stuck with it. 

regards

Nick

Stunning replica Nick, did you get to see the example at the Bovington Tank Museum for reference?

What did you use for the chrome on the tank?

Just seen the price for this online...ouch!

Mike

Edited by mick b

On 2/26/2021 at 9:00 AM, mick b said:

Stunning replica Nick, did you get to see the example at the Bovington Tank Museum for reference?

What did you use for the chrome on the tank?

Just seen the price for this online...ouch!

Mike

No I just based it on photos and spending time around old machines generally.

the ‘chrome’ is mostly elbow grease.
I experimented with a number of different finishes I could achieve by treating the white metal this kit is mostly made from in different ways, before the build-proper, including highly polishing for the tanks. 

I know the cost is a bit hurty, but everybody should treat themselves to at least one MFH kit before they die IMHO, they’re unlike anything else, stunning in many ways but still bloody difficult to pull off well, very, very different to the likes of Tamiya for example which falls together in comparison. 

regards

Nick

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...