Airbrush Ready Gloss Varnish

Lewis95

Hey all, 

Can anybody recommend an airbrush ready Gloss coat? I DON'T want a lacquer based one but finding information very minimal. I also don't want to use Johnsons as frankly, I don't trust it. 

Using Tamiya paints and this will be going over their 11 Chrome. 

Tamiya's Chrome is more of a Silver IMHO, but that's besides the point.

Back to the gloss matter: you don't varnish Chrome. It changes for the worse. I've tried lacquer varnish, water based, alcohol based... They all changed Chrome turning it into a bright Silver.

43 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

Tamiya's Chrome is more of a Silver IMHO, but that's besides the point.

Back to the gloss matter: you don't varnish Chrome. It changes for the worse. I've tried lacquer varnish, water based, alcohol based... They all changed Chrome turning it into a bright Silver.

So would I just apply decals to the raw paint then? 

• 3 weeks later...

For other metal finishes you can clear coat using Alclad's Aquagloss, it's an acrylic clear. (You didn't say if you are airbrushing or using a hairy stick so I have assumed airbrush). Mr Hobby's GX1xx range of clear coats are a similar composition to the Tamiya paints you are using and are very good but I haven't had very good results with the same Company's Mr Hobby Aqueous Clears, they always stayed tacky for too long so I stopped using them. 

Duncan B

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2020 at 11:16, Duncan B said:

For other metal finishes you can clear coat using Alclad's Aquagloss, it's an acrylic clear. (You didn't say if you are airbrushing or using a hairy stick so I have assumed airbrush). Mr Hobby's GX1xx range of clear coats are a similar composition to the Tamiya paints you are using and are very good but I haven't had very good results with the same Company's Mr Hobby Aqueous Clears, they always stayed tacky for too long so I stopped using them. 

Duncan B

Just seen this reply buddy. I wanted an airbrush ready Gloss coat for airbrushing in a pinch. I actually ordered a bottle of Alclad Aqua Gloss a little while ago :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewis95 said:

Just seen this reply buddy. I wanted an airbrush ready Gloss coat for airbrushing in a pinch. I actually ordered a bottle of Alclad Aqua Gloss a little while ago :)

The Aqua Gloss is quite good normally. However just been using it today and it had a strange reaction on a couple of pieces and it started to pool. First time I've ever had any issues with it but I grabbed a brush and some water and soaked it and scrubbed it off without damaging the paint underneath. Waited for the water to dry off and sprayed a couple of light coats on and it was fine second time around. Can't really explain what happened because I was spraying about a dozen pieces all painted with the same paint and it only reacted like that on 2 pieces!

Duncan B

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

The Aqua Gloss is quite good normally. However just been using it today and it had a strange reaction on a couple of pieces and it started to pool. First time I've ever had any issues with it but I grabbed a brush and some water and soaked it and scrubbed it off without damaging the paint underneath. Waited for the water to dry off and sprayed a couple of light coats on and it was fine second time around. Can't really explain what happened because I was spraying about a dozen pieces all painted with the same paint and it only reacted like that on 2 pieces!

Duncan B

Might be the humidity. In the UK it's over 80% in places at the moment. 

• Like 1