1/16 Bushmaster PMV - paint applied

GMK

More adventures in CAD while I wait for more print materials. 

The bottom of the engine bay wasn’t quite right, so I’ve refined the design & added some of the details. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Started to give some attention to the troop compartment. There’s four major structures, two seat frames, the radio rack (left side, not yet started), & a stowage cabinet (RHS, to the rear). As I plan on having everything closed up, I recessed the gaps between seat frames, rather than doing a faithful replica. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by GMK
Additional images
  • Like 4

Thanks to the current delays on shipping, the parts required to repair the 3D printer will take a fortnight or so. Ah well, time to improve the design to make it more accurate. 

Clean sheeted the upper hull:

spacer.png

The interior details for the basic hull print are now ready. Will do seats, instrument panel, & centre console next. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

More progress on the design & some assistance from a mate in generating decals!

Upper hull is more or less done:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Added the aircon ducting:

spacer.png

Then, some decals. Primary research from one of my Timor trips (2002):

spacer.png

Which was scaled to 1/16 by a mate & printed as decals on his printer. This pattern is used on the spare wheel cover & mud guard covers. 

spacer.png

Last camouflage is Australian Disruptive Pattern Print (DPP - commonly referred to as DPCU), used for the seat covers. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

So close to finishing the front end. Almost time to fire up the printer again. 

spacer.png

The hull isn’t symmetrical, which can make things interesting to resolve. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Having more or less finished the hull, I’ve moved on to the crew compartment. Here are the left- & right-hand side seat backs. The larger shoulder brace is oriented toward the front of the vehicle. Once I’ve completed the seat base, design for the rear compartment will be finished. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

An uptick with work has forced design to a lower priority. Simple & quick mini-projects are the order of the day. 

Not being ready to tackle tyres, yet, I’ve stolen the identical-to-Bushmaster tyres from the Trumpeter 1/16 M-ATV kit, leaving only the hubs to be modelled. 

Step 1: sketch the cross section of the prototypical hub.

spacer.png

Step 2: rotate the cross section around the axis & add detail.

spacer.png

Step 3: Once completed, details were added & subtracted as required to make the spare. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

Taking a week off from work - time to break the back of the design while waiting for prints to finish. 

Stowage bins for the left side of the vehicle was today’s task. New hull design meant that previous work was no longer fit for purpose. 

The basic design was pretty quick to do up, with the recess on the underside of the larger bin intended to be filled by a corrugated surface. 

spacer.png

One problem experienced with the last iteration was a lack of positive location on the hull. Gluing two acutely angled surfaces while trying to keep the top & bottoms parallel to the ground was ridiculous. Enter alignment tabs. 

First, the hull:

spacer.png

Then, add recesses to the stowage bins themselves. 

spacer.png

Should fit a treat. 

• Like 4

Cheers, Ray, I appreciate you taking the time to comment. 

Getting there. Having the printer offline more or less compelled me to work in the design. It also created a bit of a backlog! The current print is a 38-hour duration endeavour and that’s only a 124mm long hull section. 

8 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

When I retire, I might have to get into this CAD stuff :D Your work is very inspirational!

Cheers, mate. Can’t recommend it enough. I put learning CAD off for forever. Regret it, immensely. 

• Like 1

More design work. There’s quite a backlog for printing building up. At least another 100+ hours for the lower hull alone. 

Right side stowage was next. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So how many hours of printing did that lot take Greg?

I shudder to think, Ray. Hundreds & hundreds of hours. 

The “real” print is up to 271 hours as of now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Very impressive.

What a complex beast of a subject!

Thanks Steve. I’m lucky to have more references available for this one than you have for one of your projects!

• Like 1