Fairey Barracuda Special Hobby

Colin W

Hi Chaps,

I have the opportunity to join in this GB as we are still locked down and my Buccaneer is progressing faster than expected. Initially I didnt think I had anything qualifying for this period then realised that this was appropriate. This follows on from my Fairey Fulmar in the Navy GB earlier but I won't be folding the wings on this one. I did manage to buy the correct kit this time as a lot of the resin is included.

20200408_132548

This is my second kit as I bought the Sierra Scale Vacform many years ago.

20200408_132621

The vacformed plastic is OK but the 'injection moulded' accessories leave a little to be desired. I think this is the worst example of 'Flash' seen in 40 years of modelling.

20200408_132714

I doubt I'll be using any of this but the Sierra Scale kit includes some excellent instructions with pictures and drawings so I'll get something from it anyway.

Colin

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Nice choice Colin. 

Ive always fancied having a go at one these Barracuda kits but haven’t ever plucked up the courage to dive in so will follow with interest. 

James

• Like 1

Welcome Colin, a rarely seen type at the best of times, glad to have one in this GB with what I believe is the first FAA subject.

Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

I'm focused on the Buccaneer GB at the moment but I have built a lot of the interior using the kit resin and some bits from the spares box. 

20200518_110519

Colin 

• Like 1

It looks like you made the right call, choosing to build this kit over the Sierra vacform :winkgrin:,  It's looking very nice so far.

Cheers

• Haha 1

Sorry but slow progress on the Baracuda as I've been finishing off my Buccaneer GB and Kids GB. A few days to work on this before the Corsair STGB starts. 

20200528_150119

Fuselage halves together and wings attached. Joints treated so should see some more progress this weekend. 

Colin 

• Like 7

Real progress over the weekend as the interior is complete and the canopy is fitted. Quite a bit of work required for the windows, landing light and small wing root windows. Job done for now and a coat of Mr Surfacer next. 

20200601_154904

Colin 

• Like 4

Despite having a choice of two kit undercarriage legs I decided to make my own. The brass rod goes 3mm into the undercarriage support so will be a lot stronger than the kit part. 

Grey legs are special hobby, the Sierra Scale part, encased in the white blob, is significantly longer. 

20200602_112608

Colin 

Quite a bit of progress in the last few days. Under surface painted with Mr Colour 26 and upper surface camouflage with EDSG 331 and Slate Grey 25. I decided to airbrush free hand to add to the worn effect. 

Weathering started with a mixture of the two main colours and some post shading. Upper wing aerials replaced with brass rod and Pitot strengthened in the same way. Wheels inc tail added. Needs to rest for a while before the glossy coat ready for decals. 

20200604_212849

Colin 

• Like 6

Minor details added under a coat of Future. Including undercarriage doors and Pitot. I was looking for options of torpedo or bomb when I realised that the kit has no representation of the cooling system exhaust. Not even a panel line. It's a bit late to do much so I fabricated an exhaust flap from brass sheet and added to the underside of the nose. What a gross omission from the kit! 

I decided to get some value from the Sierra Scale kit so used the decals. I have no recollection of ever making a model with SEA markings before so novel for me.

20200605_170308

Matt coat next along with the unmasking of the canopy. 

Colin 

• Like 8

Well I'm calling this completed. Final model has been weathered to represent a year of service in the Pacific Fleet.

A very poor kit which sadly summarises the Fairey Barracuda. Over 2800 built and not one preserved. Only songs like "The Barracuda 2, Will be the death of you.." remain to tell what the aircrew thought of it. The kit is missing some vital areas like the radiator exhaust and despite a bit of resin, the cockpit is sparse. No representation of the bomb or torpedo mechanism means the patrol version is the only one easily built. I pondered whether to scratch build something but decided I'd had enough.

Pictures posted in the Gallery but a few more here.

IMG_6018

IMG_6013

IMG_6008

IMG_5975

IMG_5972

IMG_5971

Thanks for a good Group Build.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 8

You look away for a couple of days and he goes and completes the model on you! :doh:

Well done Colin, great result and thanks for participating in this GB.

Ungainly looking thing on the ground at least - it's that undercarriage that gives that impression I guess?

• Thanks 1

Great work Colin.

My Dad worked on the Barracuda (Aircraft electrician) - he didn’t like them at all..  

Quick question, weren’t those officers examining  the Barracuda in 1945 previously seen examining a Fulmar in 1940?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Quick question, weren’t those officers examining  the Barracuda in 1945 previously seen examining a Fulmar in 1940?

Yes indeed, they can be found in several places on Britmodeller inspecting a wide range of aircraft.  ......

Clearly you haven't viewed my entry in the Buccaneer group build yet! 

Colin 

• 2 weeks later...