Hi Britmodelers,

here is one of my latest ship builds, the delightful WEM/Atlantic Models 1/350 HMS Starling built as HMS Mermaid. I was tempted to do HMS Peacock as my grandfather (Royal Horse Artillery) was sent from Malta to Palestine in 1948 on her for a mission, according to my family, to rescue Mountbatten's polo ponies! The nice colour scheme of HMS Mermaid won out though. The excellent book "Sloops, 1926-1946" by Arnold Hague provides an excellent resource for those interested in this elegant and extensive class of ships. Some modification to the basic kit, apart from the usual updating/upgrading with after-market parts, was required, mainly to the shelter deck supporting B turret and the split Hedgehog mountings. The bulwarks were extended aft as necessary. It still needs to be crewed, but an order from North Star Models (allegedly sent early March) still hasn't arrived here in Kiwiland.

As for painting, I used my own mixes from Schminke inks. I had ordered the new range of Sovereign RN paints from Creative Models Australia primarily to use as swatches/matches to make/use acrylics but these took nearly a year to arrive, post this build. Using basic principles I obtained paint matches from my local Resene range, of neutral/neutralish greys with the appropriate reflectance values (all but one spot on, the exception being only 1% out) first by getting the accurate chips from brochures, then sample pots (see below). By iteration I made various mixes of Schminke white, pale grey (actually a bluish-grey, suitable as basis for the 507 series, B6/B15/20), and black (quite neutral) to achieve tones matching the reflectance values. By adding drops of prototypical ultramarine and/or chome oxide green it was possible to get colours that probably would be damned close. In fact, when the Sovereign paints arrived a few weeks ago I was really pleased with my efforts regarding B30, G10, G45 and B55.

Cheers, GrahamB

P1010452 P1010453 P1010455 P1010457 P1010459 P1010458 P1010460

Resene paint swatches

P1010462

example of Schminke ink trials

P1010461

Edited by GrahamB
spelling
  • Like 46
  • Thanks 1

You did a remarkably good job of self-mixing those paints Graham. I have a lot of first hand experience and know how wildly off one can land. It's definitely an acquired skill and not everyone can do it. It needs a feel for it as much as anything else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really nice HMS Amethyst Chris! I can't remember when I saw the film The Yangtse Incident- it must be >45 years ago. My father recalls seeing some of these sloops just prior to, and during the Korean War when he was serving on HMS Belfast. I'm looking forward to the projected 1/350 HMAS Parrammata  (Grimsby Class) from Atlantic Models too.

Thanks Jamie - I appreciate the comments. Paints and colours are one of the great pleasures I get from this hobby. Of course, now that I have them, I'll be using the new NARN range in future builds. I'd almost finished the AJM 1/350 Scott Class Leader HMS Douglas when the Sovereign paints arrived and the big surprise was the relatively dark tone and saturation of the WA Green - I was anticipating the nominal 55% reflectance, matching WA Blue. I had interpreted the darker colour on HMS Douglas as possibly B6 (a known substitute in WA schemes)  instead of WA Green as suggested by AJM  but now can see that WA Green could have been the colour after all! It does look really smart though, and I'll post this model up soon.

Cheers, GrahamB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1