Tamiya Cromwell in 1/35

This is my second attempt at an armour kit and I am intending to go to town on trying thing I have not done before.

As a result there is a fighting chance it will end up rubbish but hey, where is the fun in not trying?!

49891288973_56c8b4c449_k.jpg20200513_212629_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The kits itself went together insanely well, I started popping bits together on sunday night and before I knew it I had run out of bits to stick together...

I wanted to try some shading effects so I primed in light grey (the only colour i have) and then sprayed vertical and overhanging surfaces in black.

49891285428_23311bdf6e_k.jpg20200511_220911_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

After putting on the main colour, I am not sure that the shading is visible but I did it on the little dude for good measure anyway.

49891285233_2c36383be6_k.jpg20200511_223853_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

This is my first ever attempt at a figure and whilst my attempt won't be great, at this point I think it looks pretty darn cool!

49891285653_b2fce75f10_k.jpg20200512_200016_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 5

Depending on how far "going to town on it" is, you might want to alter the engine deck panel lines, as they are for an earlier mark of Cromwell, not the one depicted on the decals.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2020 at 09:27, Bullbasket said:

Depending on hour far "going to town on it" is, you might want to alter the engine deck panel lines, as they are for an earlier mark of Cromwell, not the one depicted on the decals.

John.

Thank you.

By going to town, I actually meant trying as many new weathering techniques as I can.

I am rubbish at weathering and have never done anything like this so it will probably suck but I need to force myself to try.

It took ages because I have been distracted by other stuff but it is finally painted and decaled. I have tried a little light chipping but after a quick wash it seems pretty well invisible.

49939510436_be36a22bff_k.jpg20200517_120703_Film2 (1) by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 3

Are you telling us, that Tamiya star went over those bumps on the turret "just like that - ofkorski?"

There goes that perception of Tamiya's "thick stuff decals". 😆

Carry on, I've got one "in stock", any hints on building are always welcomed :-))

Zig

• Like 1

On 28/05/2020 at 11:52, zigster said:

Are you telling us, that Tamiya star went over those bumps on the turret "just like that - ofkorski?"

There goes that perception of Tamiya's "thick stuff decals". 😆

Carry on, I've got one "in stock", any hints on building are always welcomed :-))

Zig

They did conform pretty well, I had to run a knife around the edge of the dome to get it to conform but it followed the dome and the ring thing really well.

I terms of hints for the build, I can only say go for it!, the plastic goes together so well it is almost unreal!

I did an oil wash and after leaving it a week to make sure that is was sorted I got playing with some chipping for the first time.

I watched a tonne of youtube videos on it and decided to go with a few layers of sponge chipping and then brushing on some rust colours in the centre of larger chips.

I might have overdone it a little but I love it!

49957629007_871366a47b_k.jpg20200531_220131_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I think grime streaks come next!

Edited by OutcastJoel
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

looking nice... what did you use for the mud? am going to build an old Italeri M3A1 Scout Car next and want to do a bit more on weathering technique on it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

what did you use for the mud?

Thank you very much!

I used Vallejo mud texture for the thicker bits applied with a battered old brush and then airbrushed over the whole lot with a very thinned mix of brown and beige

• Like 2