A look back - Heller's 1/72 Boeing 707

Subject:                437 Sqn. Boeing 707 (officially known as a CC-137, but commonly referred to as simply a '707'); s/n 13704

- fitted with Beech IFR wing pods as it was one of two 707's in the fleet so fitted (s/n 13703 being the other one).

Kit:                        1/72 Heller Boeing 707-300B

Aftermarket:         Leading Edge CC-137 decals covering all five 707's that comprised the Canadian Forces fleet along with two resin Beech IFR pods, (long OOP, unfortunately)

plus True Details KC-135 resin wheels (the nose wheel hub was suitably modified)

Kit Modifications:  Nav and Flight Engineer positions on flight deck, scratched (well, I know they're there...)

full IFR lighting package using MV lenses added along fuselage

The quality of the photography may not be up to par, but there is a reason.  These photos were originally taken back in the day before digital cameras, when a 35mm SLR camera actually used something called 'film' that had to be developed before one saw the resulting photo.  :)

In addition to the above stated mods to the kit, the fwd cargo door was scribed in (effectively making it a -320C) and the window spacing near the door's edge was adjusted accordingly.  If you look closely at the cabin windows, the interval between windows 7/8 and 12/13 is much closer together than all the others.  A half of an aux. tank from a 1/144 Dauntless provided the SATNAV dome on the on the fuselage spine (just ahead of the blade antenna) that was fitted to both IFR equipped 707's.

Unfortunately, the IFR lighting package is hard to see in the photos, but it's all there.  It's comprised of individual spot lamps placed strategically on the fuselage and the outer engine pylon.  If anyone is really interested, PM me your email and I'll scan the detail photos of the real 13704 that I took during a photo opportunity at CFB Trenton.  Also, with the fitting of the IFR pods, the 'plumbing & electrical in the wingtips had to be modified, resulting in the retractable landing lights normally in the wingtips, relocated alongside the dual landing lights at each wing root.

This kit unfortunately, has left my collection.  The last I saw it, it was destined for 437 Sqn. via a third party.  Good news is, I have it's replacement with everything I need to replicate the original, waiting in the stash.  In case anyone is wondering about the size of the model, the top of that base is 28"or 71.12cm, square. 

Scott

437-Sqn-707-1.jpg

437-Sqn-707-2.jpg

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 19

That's a very sharp looking model. Colorful yet comparatively simple scheme. I think it's awesome!

Very nice, Scott. I lived in Belleville and remember the day they arrived at CFB Trenton and all flew over Belleville inbound to the airbase. One of my friends father was piloting one of them, having transitioned from the CC-106. The Boeing's were a constant site in the skies. I'd love to get your reference info you mentioned.

Edited by TBC

TBC;  You were in Belleville, I was in PMQ's, at CFB Trenton, with my parents.  As a kid, I remember the Yukon's having to turn their engines over for a period, every night at mid-night and when they were replaced by the 707's, the silence made for some pretty restless sleeps.  :)

If you haven't already, send me a PM with your email and I'll begin scanning my photos.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

Very nice.  This is a huge kit, and a big effort to handle, especially with properly "rigging" the engines so they all point in the same direction.  You did an excellent job with it!  Orange-red paint is not easy stuff to work with, either. 

The only problem with the otherwise highly satisfactory Heller 707, to keep in mind when you build your next one, is that the cockpit sits a bit high on the fuselage and seems tilted upward.  The cockpit side windows should be roughly even with the pax window line.  I learned this the hard way when I built mine as a Pan Am jet and had to swoop the pax window cheat-line up a bit to meet the cockpit. 

TheyJammedKenny:  Thanks for the comments and the heads-up regarding the cockpit.  I don't recall any problem with that build, but I'll keep it in mind.  As you can see by the scheme, there's no point of reference as you mentioned with the Pan Am scheme.  As for the red-orange paint … that's actually Model Master (enamel) Insignia Red on a white undercoat.  That's the standard colour for the wing/tailplane search panels on aircraft in the ATC (Air Transport Command) scheme.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

The few times I saw these, they were always dirty, but that was near the end of their time with the CAF. Think I only saw 704 and 705.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

Abandoned Project sez … Makes me think twice about getting one though I am sorely tempted.

Awww, go on … ya know you want to.  :))

The size has been duly noted, that is big beautiful beast of a model

When (notice I didn't say "if") you're building anything this size, the first thing to consider is if you have enough 'elbow room' at your work space to manipulate it without constantly hitting a wall or similar. It can get very frustrating.  Guess how I arrived at that advice...  🙂 

Very nice. I like the base and the paint scheme is great

Thanks for the comment.  I always like to share my models with others. 

FWIW, the base is just 2 planks of 3/4" (1.9cm) thick pine, dove-tailed together to form a 28" (71.12cm) square base and stained to taste.  The cloth patches that are on the base were actually worn on the crew's flight suits, The one with the white background is the Squadron's heraldic crest, while the smaller circular one was only worn by the crew's of the two IFR capable 707's.  The large Squadron heraldic peel n' stick decal the model is sitting on, is actually the exact same one they put on the aircraft, just to the right of the front and read cabin doors.  Look closely on the model and you'll see them.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley