CMR Granby Buccaneer

13 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

overhang the end of the fuselage by a couple of millimetres, which I don't think is right.

Agreed, that overhang shouldn't be there. Difficult to say for sure what the fix is without knowing the kit and all it's foibles, but maybe a sliver of resin off-cut to extend the mounting and then fair it in with Milliput?

Mark.

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Without seeing the whole area I'd say the fin looks to need moving forward a few milimeters :hmmm:

Yep, I should have shown a better picture, but I sanded off the leading edge of the fin and managed to lose most of the overhang at the rear before it wouldn't sit right on the fuselage.  There's still a small overhang but I can live with it.  In other news I managed to lose the resin block with the semi-oval plates that fit flush to the fuselage just in front of the air intakes.  I contacted CMR but they said it was Unlikely they would have spares and heard nothing since so I might have a go at trying to cut a piece of ultra thin resin scrap to size and fit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Col. said:

Tidy paintwork. Looks to be a bit of subtle weathering going on there as well :speak_cool:

Kind of.  The panel lines are so faint in some of the key areas they aren't going to take a wash so I drew them in with a felt tip pen before I put on the desert pink.  I did have a go at scribing some of the lines but my skill level wasn't up to it.

• Like 1

So Im thinking how to do the navigation lights on the spine, the fin and wing tips.  They are just moulded into the resin.  I have clear red and green paints but what should the undercoat be?  At present it’s the desert pink, but better might be white?  Or silver?

On 6/22/2020 at 7:28 PM, Jabba said:

I usually use silver as an undercoat, then apply the appropriate colour. 

Use this method as well and it yields acceptable results in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2020 at 7:03 PM, sanfrandragon said:

So Im thinking how to do the navigation lights on the spine, the fin and wing tips.  They are just moulded into the resin.  I have clear red and green paints but what should the undercoat be?  At present it’s the desert pink, but better might be white?  Or silver?

Quite a few Eduard etch frets have a series of cut outs around the frame designed to produce ID lights. I think the procedure would be to heat some clear or appropriately coloured sprue over a flame & then press against the cut out. This pushes the plastic through the cut-out & results in a well-shaped lamp.

Edge

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Edge said:

Quite a few Eduard etch frets have a series of cut outs around the frame designed to produce ID lights. I think the procedure would be to heat some clear or appropriately coloured sprue over a flame & then press against the cut out. This pushes the plastic through the cut-out & results in a well-shaped lamp.

Edge

That's interesting, I've never noticed.  I'll have a look at the old frets I have lying around, thanks!

• Like 1

Actually, for a Granby Bucc, no.  Sorry, didn't think of that right away.  In later service life the beacons were replaced with a more triangular shaped clear covering:

551452ED-495B-4802-8946-3C5DFF3E9D5F

28FB4893-068C-4BB9-85F5-0769D0710A7C

Both of these options are on the clear sprue for the new Airfix kit.  I am not sure how CMR dealt with it as I don't have the later service life boxings they did. 

- Jack

Edited by wadeocu
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wadeocu said:

Actually, for a Granby Bucc, no.  Sorry, didn't think of that right away.  In later service life the beacons were replaced with a more triangular shaped clear covering:

551452ED-495B-4802-8946-3C5DFF3E9D5F

28FB4893-068C-4BB9-85F5-0769D0710A7C

Both of these options are on the clear sprue for the new Airfix kit.  I am not sure how CMR dealt with it as I don't have the later service life boxings they did. 

- Jack

It’s the more triangular shape just moulded into the resin.  If I find a suitable fret it looks easy just to cut this off and replace with a clear piece of sprue, no need for any paint.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...