CMR Granby Buccaneer

This is the Czech Master Resin 1/72 Buccaneer S2B from Operation Granby.

49884095596_faa0ccc66c_b.jpg

I hope it turns out as well as my Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer that I built many years ago.

49891159798_6affec2629_b.jpg

I bought this many years ago and it has sat on the shelf ever since, so what better way to make a start than joining the group build.

The main fuselage halves needed a lot of cleaning up and will need plenty of filling, what filler is recommended?

Overall the quality of the detail looks superb, plus there is an etch set, masks for the canopy and it seems enough decals to build any of the aircraft deployed on Granby at any stage of the campaign almost down to specific days.

49891666381_3be862e511_b.jpg

• Like 9

Nice, look forward to seeing this take shape. As to fillers, I prefer Milliput when working with resin as I can refine it with a damp cotton bud (Q-tip on your side of the pond!) before it cures and therefore cut down on the sanding. And anything that reduces sanding with resin isn't a bad thing.

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Nice, look forward to seeing this take shape. As to fillers, I prefer Milliput when working with resin as I can refine it with a damp cotton bud (Q-tip on your side of the pond!) before it cures and therefore cut down on the sanding. And anything that reduces sanding with resin isn't a bad thing.

Mark.

Thank you.  I think I have some miliput around somewhere.

Dont be fooled by my profile name, my family comes from Cardiff and I live in Berkshire!  I did live in San Francisco for a long time though.

• Like 2

I'm keen to see how this one compares to the new Airfix kit in terms of detail and fit. If your earlier 48th scale Bucc is anything to judge from you clearly know how to build a model :speak_cool:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Col. said:

I'm keen to see how this one compares to the new Airfix kit in terms of detail and fit. If your earlier 48th scale Bucc is anything to judge from you clearly know how to build a model :speak_cool:

My thoughts too.  My initial thought was the new Airfix kit would make this one redundant.  I’ve not seen Airfixes latest 1/72 offering but the level of detail from CMR looks very impressive and crisp, including etch and masks and so many options down to which day each aircraft flew that I think it will still be relevant.  The amount of clean-up is a right pain though, and I suspect the fit of  Airfix main fuselage parts is a lot better.  We shall see!

• Like 2

On 5/14/2020 at 3:18 AM, sanfrandragon said:

The main fuselage halves needed a lot of cleaning up and will need plenty of filling, what filler is recommended?

Hi, Milliput is great as Harry notes above , though take care when using it on resin. There are a number of different types of resin and some can be quite soft. Milliput dries very hard and you can find yourself grinding away the resin rather than the filler. 

HTH

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49911232058_8c273906a1_b.jpg

49911232168_da0fe9f736_b.jpg

Cockpit done, fuselage closed up, the fit was awful, I’ll post some pics later, so I’m in the process of filling and sanding.  I used Vallejo putty in the end.

I'm thinking of making this as XW533/A Miss Jolly Roger/Fiona not only as a namesake of my wife, but also because the nose art looks good and this aircraft carried a Paveway with some nice graffiti.   My wife is Fiona of course, Miss Jolly Roger in my dreams.

Gutted that if I choose a load out with a Paveway I can’t use the wing tanks which look superb or the sidewinder.

• Like 6

Tidy work. The cockpits looks suitably busy.

15 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

My wife is Fiona of course, Miss Jolly Roger in my dreams.

Same here :innocent:

16 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

Gutted that if I choose a load out with a Paveway I can’t use the wing tanks which look superb or the sidewinder.

Sounds as if you need another kit to use that option ;) 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

wish I could say it was hand painted but it’s just printed etch!

Puuting that stuff is Still modelling ,and it looks mighty fine

• Thanks 1

I am pondering whether to finish the aircraft as ready for take-off, or to make use of all the nice detail show it with nose open, speed brake open and wings folded.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Also I was wondering whether to use a black or a light grey primer, or given the panel detail in some places, especially around the nose, is so fine, whether to use any primer at all?  I may test how the Xtracrylix Desert Pink goes direct on to the resin.  Also, given the aircraft looked pretty grubby, perhaps black pre-shading in some places may work, although I've never done it before.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Cockpit done, fuselage closed up, the fit was awful, I’ll post some pics later, so I’m in the process of filling and sanding.  I used Vallejo putty in the end.

I'm thinking of making this as XW533/A Miss Jolly Roger/Fiona not only as a namesake of my wife, but also because the nose art looks good and this aircraft carried a Paveway with some nice graffiti.   My wife is Fiona of course, Miss Jolly Roger in my dreams.

Well done with the cockpit and getting the fuselage together.

The wing tanks were only fitted to the Gulf Buccs when they were on their ferry flight to and from the region. During the war they either flew with the pylon fitted and nothing attached, or with the Paveway. I only found this out when displaying a Bucc on my Gulf War display and someone who was on the detachment said nice model but should not have had the tank and explained why.

You have also chosen one of the more colourful schemes.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

I am pondering whether to finish the aircraft as ready for take-off, or to make use of all the nice detail show it with nose open, speed brake open and wings folded.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Also I was wondering whether to use a black or a light grey primer, or given the panel detail in some places, especially around the nose, is so fine, whether to use any primer at all?  I may test how the Xtracrylix Desert Pink goes direct on to the resin.  Also, given the aircraft looked pretty grubby, perhaps black pre-shading in some places may work, although I've never done it before.

Yes. Get another kit and do both options :D 

This may be one of the few examples where a black or dark grey pre-shade actually produces a realistic effect rather than simple colour modulation.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Have to agree with the previous posts, that cockpit is looking pretty good from here!

I'd say leave the airbrake open, maybe have the wings folded and don't open the nose. Why? Of all the images I have in my references of Granby Buccs, I cannot recall seeing any with an open nose. It simply wasn't something the RAF ever needed to do other than when maintaining any of the gubbins inside. Folded wings was something the RAF utilised, but the majority of images I have of Granby show the wings spread when the aircraft was parked up. One example of one with folded wings that springs to mind involves an aircraft being towed along and then having an engine ground run, presumably after some maintenance process that then requires the engine be tested. And finally, having the airbrake left open was quite a common occurrence so would be perfectly feasible and would be an ideal way to show off a little of the detail.

As to weathering, by the time the Granby jets returned to the UK, they were filthy. A good number of them retained their Gulf colours and appeared at airshows across Europe during the summer of '91 and many pictures are around of them at the likes of Airliners.net etc., so maybe use them as a starter and dial the weathering back just a tad for an in-theatre look?

You'll find some fantastic pics here of Gulf war jets, including angles you won't see from the selection of ground pics by the same photographer/curator.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Have to agree with the previous posts, that cockpit is looking pretty good from here!

I'd say leave the airbrake open, maybe have the wings folded and don't open the nose. Why? Of all the images I have in my references of Granby Buccs, I cannot recall seeing any with an open nose. It simply wasn't something the RAF ever needed to do other than when maintaining any of the gubbins inside. Folded wings was something the RAF utilised, but the majority of images I have of Granby show the wings spread when the aircraft was parked up. One example of one with folded wings that springs to mind involves an aircraft being towed along and then having an engine ground run, presumably after some maintenance process that then requires the engine be tested. And finally, having the airbrake left open was quite a common occurrence so would be perfectly feasible and would be an ideal way to show off a little of the detail.

As to weathering, by the time the Granby jets returned to the UK, they were filthy. A good number of them retained their Gulf colours and appeared at airshows across Europe during the summer of '91 and many pictures are around of them at the likes of Airliners.net etc., so maybe use them as a starter and dial the weathering back just a tad for an in-theatre look?

You'll find some fantastic pics here of Gulf war jets, including angles you won't see from the selection of ground pics by the same photographer/curator.

Mark.

Thanks for the advice Mark.  Those photos you linked to are pretty special, are they yours?  I particularly liked the Buccaneers re-fuelling!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

Those photos you linked to are pretty special, are they yours?

Sadly not mine, but they're amongst the best (if not the best) open source images I have found of British GW1 jets in theatre anywhere on the net. Pretty much everything else that comes close is in books.

Mark.

Watching your build and a few others of CMR kits, Ive grown curious as to general quality and cost. Im thinking of getting into a resin build. I like your build so far and the Buccaneer would be one Id consider. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Watching your build and a few others of CMR kits, Ive grown curious as to general quality and cost. Im thinking of getting into a resin build. I like your build so far and the Buccaneer would be one Id consider. 

I havnt see the latest Airfix offering but with the CMR kit I have been pleased with the level of detail in the casting and the shape of the slipper tanks and intakes is beautiful.  The panel lines are very faint and might disappear after just one coat of paint.  I have got a bit fed up of sawing the major parts off their casting blocks and the fit of the body halves has been poor and needed much filling and sanding.  I’m slightly nervous of having to cut out the vac formed canopy as I’ve never done that before, the edge isn’t clearly defined and one mistake and it’s not going to fit.  What is good with the CMR kit is the extras; etch including cockpit panels, masks for painting the canopy, extra parts for wingtips and air brakes according to which aircraft you want to make and individual painting and decal charts for every aircraft on the deployment, and broken down again by deployment phase as the nose art was different, together with detailed load outs for each phase, including there and back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

What is good with the CMR kit is the extras; etch including cockpit panels, masks for painting the canopy,

Thanks for responding, the masks may actually help you on your canopy issue. Place the mask on and paint the interior black/dk. Grey. Once done then remove the bulk of the form but leave extra on the edges. Place that on the build and you can mark where to trim, sand file the rest away. I use scissors to remove the bulk of the form the sand and file the rest to get it to shape when i use vacu-formed canopies. This can be done before you paint the plane BTW. Then you can glue the canopy on sand fill and paint with the plane. After everything is done then you can remove the masks. The masks may actually protect if you have to fill & sand when attaching to the fuselage. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks for responding, the masks may actually help you on your canopy issue. Place the mask on and paint the interior black/dk. Grey. Once done then remove the bulk of the form but leave extra on the edges. Place that on the build and you can mark where to trim, sand file the rest away. I use scissors to remove the bulk of the form the sand and file the rest to get it to shape when i use vacu-formed canopies. This can be done before you paint the plane BTW. Then you can glue the canopy on sand fill and paint with the plane. After everything is done then you can remove the masks. The masks may actually protect if you have to fill & sand when attaching to the fuselage. 

Dennis

Thanks for the tip Dennis.