Whirlwind HAR2, XJ409, No. 228 Sqn, RAF Leconfield, May 1960.

Finally able to complete the second of my RAF Rescue helicopters after the superb RAFDec decals arrived. XJ409 was delivered to the RAF in 1959, serving in the rescue role as an early HAR2 before conversion to HAR10 standard in the mid-60s. 

The old Airfix kit dated from even earlier, with 1958 printed on the inside of the ancient Whirlwind HAS22 fuselage. I added a bit of detail in the cockpit and cut the side windows so they could be open, but that was about it. I just wish Airfix would make an HAR10!

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG_6730.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Lovely conversion of a very old Airfix Whirlwind, yours must be even earlier than the Polar Exploration one I built for my brother. Yellow must be a very difficult colour to cover dark grey plastic with and you have done an attractive job of it.

The yellow Whirlwinds, Wessex and Seakings from Leconfield have been a part of the scenery along this coast for most of my life, I really miss them.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Thanks 1

That is a handsome little fellow.  I love the all yellow scheme of the RAF Rescue helo's.  Cracking job and a great display pair.

• Thanks 1

Well done on all accounts and seeing that you were on 3999 likes, I just had to round it up to a neat 4000! 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments and likes chaps! The old kit did need a bit of work but the basic shape seemed quite good.

I used matt white primer first, learned from this forum, then a couple of coats of 'golden yellow' gloss spray. There's bits I had to touch up with Humbrol 69 but the photos hide it well.

@Rickoshea52 there's a Sea King in the stash, though I'm tempted to do the Sycamore first.

A lovely old school Whirlwind from an ancient Airfix kit. Well done on the yellow finish - its's never easy but you've done a fantastic job!

Mark

• Thanks 1