Removing Tyre seams

Andy J

Hi there, so a while ago someone asked the easiest method of removing the tyre seams from car kits. I mentioned that I often make up different mandrels for different size tyres fix them into a power drill and sand away. Well this morning I found an easier way to do this using items that I think most people will have in there garage. 

spacer.png

So there it is a socket and extension. Fit that into your power drill on low speed and away you go. The fit between socket and tyre is excellent and makes de seaming the tyre quick and easy. For those people that already use this method well done, for those that don't give it a go it works a treat 

Regards Andy 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

That's a good idea - have you got an after pic too, so we can see the effect of the sanding?  It's probably quite similar to actual road wear, which is nothing more than a giant sheet of scaled up sandpaper :)

That’s a genius idea! On my last build, I put the tyre on the wheel & used some styrene rod to attach to my drill (on the slowest setting) but it would still wobble & slip. I’ll definitely be trying this on my next one 

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's a good idea - have you got an after pic too, so we can see the effect of the sanding?  It's probably quite similar to actual road wear, which is nothing more than a giant sheet of scaled up sandpaper :)

As requested Mike, I think it looks spot on however more or less wear can easily be added. Oh and it took 12 seconds to achieve this according to the stopwatch on my mobile phone 🙂

spacer.png

So easy to do Mike and I've found that most tyres require a socket size of between 10-13 mm which I reckon most people will have. This tyre is meant to be slick on tyres with tread pattern it works just as well.

Edited by Andy J
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Mansfield said:

That’s a genius idea! On my last build, I put the tyre on the wheel & used some styrene rod to attach to my drill (on the slowest setting) but it would still wobble & slip. I’ll definitely be trying this on my next one 

Genius 🤔 not sure about that, I think obsessed modeller is more like it . Try it for yourself trust me it's so simple I actually enjoy doing them now 😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So easy to do Mike and I've found that most tyres require a socket size of between 10-13 mm which I reckon most people will have 

We have sockets, yeah :yes: I presume you wanted slicks for this one, so the next question is - does it work on tyres with tread that you want to keep? :hmmm: I've got a couple of road-legal Lambos (not real, sadly), and those are bound to have seams and must have tread.

Wow some people take a lot of convincing here you go 

spacer.png

Looks like a new tyre with a few miles put on it to me 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Nice one Andy! Thanks for the tip.

You and everyone else are most welcome mate. I have a simple way to fix clear parts into car bodyshells as well that requires no glue so next time I reach that stage of a build I'll post some pics 👍

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I have a simple way to fix clear parts into car bodyshells as well that requires no glue so next time I reach that stage of a build I'll post some pics 👍

Please do! For some reason, I can build the whole car without any glue going where it shouldn’t. Until I get to the windscreen, then some magically under my thumb just before I pick it up!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Mansfield said:

Please do! For some reason, I can build the whole car without any glue going where it shouldn’t. Until I get to the windscreen, then some magically under my thumb just before I pick it up!

No glue required Mr M so that's the end of that problem 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

That's a great idea Andy, shall be trying that on the Calibra's slicks!

Keith

Thanks Keith, works well on all tyres but especially slicks 🙂