International Air Tattoo 1981 (final batch added)

Great shots, particularly like the hovering Harrier. That attendance list looks like some script off The Matrix... seems like a modern show would have 10% of that number!

• Haha 1

Exactly which scanner is it please?

The photos are superb. I can remember going to greenham with my dad on a coach from Coventry and being stuck in the traffic jam until gone midday. The would have been 75ish.

The first real show I really remember was maybe 1983, in my Ford Capri aged 20 🙂, with the line of Phantoms. There was a German recce one at the near end, with cameras hanging down, and, I think, the Alcock and Brown  at the far end. Not sure about the latter, but happy to be corrected

Wonderful

Andy

• Like 1

Thank you for the pictures and the recollections from others who were there. My first one was the 1979 show, l remember it being wet and l was not sure if they would allow cameras in only to see a lot of photographers there. Then went to the 1981 show fully equipped.Robert

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Exactly which scanner is it please?

The photos are superb. I can remember going to greenham with my dad on a coach from Coventry and being stuck in the traffic jam until gone midday. The would have been 75ish.

The first real show I really remember was maybe 1983, in my Ford Capri aged 20 🙂, with the line of Phantoms. There was a German recce one at the near end, with cameras hanging down, and, I think, the Alcock and Brown  at the far end. Not sure about the latter, but happy to be corrected

Wonderful

Andy

Hi Andy. Thanks for the kind words and I'm pleased to have brought back some good memories (of IAT and Capris!) A couple of years ago, I wanted a scanner for slides/negatives and prints, and my research pointed me towards the Epson Perfection V370 Photo. Amazingly, it is still available new. https://www.epson.co.uk/products/scanners/consumer-scanners/perfection-v370-photo

I find print scanning far easier than slide scanning.

Thanks again.

21 hours ago, Robert said:

Thank you for the pictures and the recollections from others who were there. My first one was the 1979 show, l remember it being wet and l was not sure if they would allow cameras in only to see a lot of photographers there. Then went to the 1981 show fully equipped.Robert

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert. I'm pleased to have prompted the good recollections! I think that 1979 was my first IAT as well.

Thanks for the information on the scanner. That is amazing, as most electronic products would be about three generations old by now!

Andy

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

Thanks for the information on the scanner. That is amazing, as most electronic products would be about three generations old by now!

Andy

You're welcome Andy. Yes, I was surprised as well, particularly as it wasn't a new model when I bought it. I suppose that flatbed scanners are not in great demand due to multi-function devices. 

Interesting. How long does it take to scan a slide?

I only have a couple of hundred I suppose, but more prints of course

Andy

Edited by Red Dot

2 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

No longer than scanning a photo. depends on the resolution you want.

But the scanning is only half the story!  I've found that when I have been scanning 35mm slides, many of which are 40 or more years old, there is still a lot of post processing to do.  I use a Plustek 8200i slide scanner and the accompanying Silverfast software for the initial scan. I then open the image up in Adobe Photoshop Elements to crop, adjust lighting, and unsharp mask. The time consuming part though is removing the dust spots and blemishes that weren't picked up by Silverfast; these can take ages to correct.

Mark

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That's part of the fun!

I must confess that I enjoyed the scanning and was pleased with the outcome of (most) of the images after a few minutes scanning and a few minutes tweaking in the software. How simple it seemed compared to my memory of hours and hours in the dark room with Dad....

5 hours ago, Red Dot said:

The 25th Anniversary Phantom Meet was '83 with the Raspberry Ripple Phantom specially decalled; the Alcock and Brown(e ) Phantom was '79.  See my thread for photos of the Raspberry Ripple  and German F-4s, and Trevor's '79 Herk thread for a photo of the A&B bird.