Corgi 1/72 Vickers Wellington Mk1c RAF Coastal Command

A number of years ago I became interested in some of the Corgi Aviation diecast models as a means of adding aircraft models quickly to my airfield dioramas which I displayed on our Bridlington and Wolds model club display table at a number of model shows. Some of the Corgi models are quite superb, in 1/72 scale the Lysander, Swordfish, Wessex helicopter, Whirlwind helicopter and Wellington stand out as being very good and in 1/144 scale the Valiant, Victor, Vulcan and Nimrod are also very good models.

The models tend to be a mixture of metal diecast and injection moulded plastic parts to try and keep the weight acceptable, and the metal fuselage parts are fixed together with small screws hidden behind pop-out rubber plugs. The tyres tend to be rubber.

I would dismantle some of the 1/72 models, add detail and repaint the interiors, reassemble, convert to other versions and repaint them in different schemes and markings.

This form of ' modelling ' was a tonic for me at times, and surprisingly I found that some of the Corgi models captured the look and character of the real aircraft better than any of the plastic kits of them which were available at the time, and possibly even today.

resized_05d1212f-ac8c-41bb-9c2b-9d65b344

I bought this Wellington GR VIII model which represented a Malta-based machine with radar, without a nose turret and with black undersurfaces.

I decided to convert it to a UK-based Coastal Command Mk1c which served with 304 ( Polish ) Squadron. I took the fuselage apart and was amazed to find geodetic structure cast inside which seemed an odd thing to go to the trouble of doing, as you would not see this unless you took it apart. I added extra internal detail and crew members. I removed the nose fairing and was lucky to find a nose turret from the old Airfix Wellington in my spares.

resized_e30f5859-3c65-4255-bae4-108e1d0f

The one photo I took during the rework. Pilot replaced and navigator, wireless operator and beam gunner added.

I reassembled the model and then sprayed all the undersurfaces and some of the fuselage windows with Halfords White Primer. I repainted the green on the upper camouflage. Corgi have done a nice job of replicating the fabric covering on the wings. I found some suitable decals in my spares but had to paint the serials by hand.

And so may I present my Corgi Wellington 1c.

resized_64351f8c-bb3a-4453-a1ef-264bffbb

Detachable open bomb bay with bomb load included.

resized_3d1d85f0-24ae-4a52-a97c-39bc7e8d

Corgi provide the option to display the model with bomb bay open or closed. This model has rubber tyres.

resized_49462f25-9ced-4bf1-8cbb-4fe59773

Nose turret added from an old Airfix Wellington.

resized_6d55e761-9efe-4414-a9d2-dcbf1d47

resized_17f66a50-8a6e-44e6-89ef-530eba50

Bombing-up for an anti-submarine patrol over the Bay of Biscay.

resized_bdd58c89-34c8-417b-ba5d-74a84b04

Corgi glazing is superbly clear and well moulded.

resized_6ddce735-5c12-4a77-a6c0-c21c052d

resized_ccaf8481-8a66-46b3-bed1-b95c5205

resized_96bc3966-af96-4ec5-a535-2ce55a7d

resized_72215394-f38b-4312-85f3-fd006225

Exposed and windy dispersal at RAF Dale on the Welsh coast.

resized_b4943d83-579b-4da5-acb2-13b88169

resized_e7929b65-a514-4110-9dec-02d80c84

resized_48beb54f-1883-4146-8b3e-52367b22

resized_b8af973f-28a8-4d01-82c4-f457256f

Corgi diecast Liberator conversion in background.

resized_34b86a97-ef58-45bf-97dd-4930a25e

Bomb bay closed, warming up engines ready to go U-Boat hunting..

resized_e02ef95e-0601-4ae3-aa20-fff6e0b5

resized_9d401230-4bb3-467a-98f9-17078c1b

Clearance to go from runway controller.

That has been my Corgi Wellington 1c. I was not sure about posting this as some people do not regard this as proper modelling. I was going to post it in the Diecast Models Topic section but that seems to be for peoples' unconverted diecast models collections.

Any comments will be welcome, and if they are generally favourable I do have a number of other diecast models I can post if people would like to see them.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 45

Right up there with your usual high modelling standard, Adey, that's come up a treat. I would be so bold as to question the degree of "coppering" on the collector rings and exhaust pipes, on which there has been considerable discussion elsewhere in BM.

The original model wears a similar unlikely toning. 

While I realise that die cast models such as this are aimed at the collectors market, I'm sure the aerials would not last long if it were purchased as a present for little Johnny.........

More of your die cast conversions, please !

Rog

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, roginoz said:

More of your die cast conversions, please !

Here... here! 

No matter if it's plastic or die-cast, those photographs are so atmospheric, you can almost hear those engines roaring in the last few shots. 

The ground crew and equipment always adds to the story and this is yet another of your superb takes on modelling that inspires many others. 

Cheers and very well done.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SafetyDad said:

That Airfix nose fits pretty well doesn't it?

Absolutely, I was very lucky there.

regards, adey

Looks superb Adey and I know wht you mean about the Corgi models,...... I`ve been tempted to alter some myself. 

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Great work! More than happy to see more of the die-cast models. Something I've always been intrigued by when seeing them in stores but never owned any, apart from the Battle of Britain aircraft produced by Dinky to coincide with the film in 1967?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice result!  

If you upgrade ready model there is added value, so RFI is for sure right place!

There is gradation from model constructed ab initio (100% scratch) , through scratch conversions, upgrading only, model done directly OOB toward die cast  ones...To make life more complex  the basic series of Hobby Boss are half way between ready and unassembled since usually fuselage is in one part with wings... 

Do not forget, that added mustaches to Mona Lisa by Marcel Duchamp made it his work! ;)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JWM said:

Do not forget, that added mustaches to Mona Lisa by Marcel Duchamp made it his work!

thanks 😂

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

Please show more of your conversions.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and encouragement, I will be very happy to show you more of my diecast conversions.

kind regards, adey

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

I`ve been tempted to alter some myself.

You should have a go Tony and you may be surprised by what you discover hidden away inside ................. this is what I found completely hidden away from view behind a solid cockpit bulkhead in the Corgi Canberra...............

resized_336a85d0-7f1f-4599-9fbf-c298b195

navigator and AEO were hiding behind the pilot.

Only someone taking it apart would discover them............... and who in their right mind would do that ....................

regards, adey

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Excellent conversion.

I have about 200 diecast models and was always the plan to sell them again once I had made the same model in kit form.

All still boxed in the garage since moving 6 years ago, need to dig them out and see what I need to thin out.

• Thanks 1

Lovely conversion Adey.  I too used to have a couple of hundred die cast models, Corgi, Hobby Master, Century Wings etc.  The beauty was being able to unbox them and put them straight on display.  For the most part when you put a decent finished kit next to them there is no comparison.  I would say though that there are some absolute crackers out there.  Corgi does rule the roost on pretty much all the WWII stuff - all the Heavies for example.  The other manufacturers have taken over with all the fast pointy stuff.  The price of the things eventually put me off and I have sold pretty much all of my collection.  I have done loads of conversions myself, especially the Corgi TSR-2 - literally done dozens of those!!

Great work buddy and look forward to seeing more your outstanding models.

Phil

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adey m said:

... navigator and AEO were hiding behind the pilot.

They might be all part of the overall ballast requirements Adey and who doesn’t need a decent 1/72 Canberra kit? Looking forward to seeing this one very much. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2020 at 8:35 PM, adey m said:

You should have a go Tony and you may be surprised by what you discover hidden away inside ................. this is what I found completely hidden away from view behind a solid cockpit bulkhead in the Corgi Canberra...............

resized_336a85d0-7f1f-4599-9fbf-c298b195

navigator and AEO were hiding behind the pilot.

Only someone taking it apart would discover them............... and who in their right mind would do that ....................

regards, adey

I have quite a few die casts in schemes that I would struggle modelling,.....like the Raspberry Ripple scheme plus some specials like an Aussie Sea King and the green and white striped Junglie. It is a shame that some of my canopies have gone white and opaque,... especially the Canberra and Buccaneer. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

It is a shame that some of my canopies have gone white and opaque,... especially the Canberra and Buccaneer.

That really surprises me Tony, the quality of Corgi glazing seems to be top quality and I have never had a similar problem. I store all my models away in boxes or cupboards out of any direct sun light.

regards, adey

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, adey m said:

That really surprises me Tony, the quality of Corgi glazing seems to be top quality and I have never had a similar problem. I store all my models away in boxes or cupboards out of any direct sun light.

regards, adey

It’s uv light that does it @tonyota possible fix is to remove it and paint gloss varnish on it and if that fails sanding the outer surface with very fine sandpaper’s then micro mesh before glossing. I’ll ask on another forum 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1