Raf hc.3 chinook

Revell 1/72 chinook HC.3  ,A quick lockdown build ,i used a bit of spare pe grill for the engine cones, and some spare raf centenery decals,  the slimmer sponsons were cut out and the bigger ones glued in and some blade antennae, and other bits and bobs were cobbled together, everything else was oob

GhlNhYy.jpg

DsMHcjX.jpg

U4MrM55.jpg

5K5Aett.jpg

• Like 45

14 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Nicely done - have at least one of these to do myself, and actually was examining the plastic only a couple of days ago!

Cheers andy, it builds up nicley, the front screen- canopy is  an awkward  fit, but the sponson change is well marked out, I've  got another set of those side centenery raf decals you can have if they take your fancy

Not a helicopter aficionado, but this one looks great for me. The Chinook and the S-55 are my favourite whirlybirds. Well done Glynn!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, binbrook87 said:

Fabulous. I do like the pre-shading that you've done, really lifts an otherwise plain colour like overall green. Brilliant job 👏

Cheers, im glad you like it ,  i didn't pre shade it ,it was more an oils experiment, i gave it an all over coat of nato green ,and did the rest with oils, a first for me, because i actually like pre shading models👍

Very smart mate, really good effect on the finish - looks very realistic.  That is something that I still need to try on a suitable build.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, scottyphbeta said:

I've not long bought one. How was the cutting of the sponsons, does it need much filling afterwards?

Theres already an engraved line on the rear of the fitted sponsons, just dragging a scriber a few times in it does the trick,  and off they come ,the only filler i used was vallejo plastic putty in a few places, the fit is quite good

• 2 years later...
On 13/05/2020 at 17:46, Hewy said:

Theres already an engraved line on the rear of the fitted sponsons, just dragging a scriber a few times in it does the trick,  and off they come ,the only filler i used was vallejo plastic putty in a few places, the fit is quite good

I totally agree. It's a bit daunting in prospect, but once you take a breath and start, indeed it comes out very cleanly. Then a quick light file to clean up the edges, and then after fitting the new sponsons, just a coat of mr surfacer afterwards to seal the lines.