Skyraider crash landing

Hi there!

I've recently been drawn towards dioramas. I've always found them to be super cool - and as a kid I started a few but they never got finished. Found Warhammer games instead and off I went.

Anyways, I've been back in the hobby for year and a half now, making quite a few airplanes which are my passion. But like I said, recently I've picked up interest in the dioramas again and wanted to try to do one. I got couple models on the post, but I wanted to start with something that I already have. And I have this:

spacer.png

I don't normally do 1/48 - so the ones I do I usually try to do something special with them. I've gotten this Monogram 1/48 as a gift it came to my mind as I was flipping through the 'Bent & Battered Wings'.

Couple of images stood out for me:

spacer.png

On the back of the book there is this photo which is like a ready diorama on its own! :) Now, I don't have a Banshee, but I have a Skyraider:

spacer.png

So maybe something like this. Maybe not as beaten, I think this plane has had a fire after it came down - but something in similar vein.

spacer.png

Rough idea for the diorama. The extras are from old Monogram B-24 kit, including the tractor.

spacer.png

Not the greatest of details but inspired by the scratch building master @JeroenS maybe we can pull something off and make it look more detailed. Probably can't do anything about the tracks, but what we can't make better, we will hide with mud! :D

Let's see what comes out of this.

• Like 5

My, aren't you keeping busy 🙂 ... OK, I'm in, let's see what you make of this. Looking good, couple of guys standing around, knowing it all better of course. Hand in pocket meanwhile. 

One thing though: 

10 minutes ago, reini said:

scratch building master

Noooo... way, way too much honour. Especially in this section of the forum, I've been here before...  I'm just "scratching" the surface 🙂 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, reini said:

So maybe something like this. Maybe not as beaten, I think this plane has had a fire after it came down - but something in similar vein.

spacer.png

Something a bit like this perhaps?

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@dcrfan Thank you! That will be great help. Maybe even bit too ambitious challenge for me, but it seems I have to do something about the tracks after all. :D

Is that your kit? Impressive work :)

BTW that tractor, did it see use after the war? Just thinking does it still fit a scene with Skyraider?

16 hours ago, reini said:

@dcrfan Thank you! That will be great help. Maybe even bit too ambitious challenge for me, but it seems I have to do something about the tracks after all. :D

Is that your kit? Impressive work :)

BTW that tractor, did it see use after the war? Just thinking does it still fit a scene with Skyraider?

Sadly no.  Mine is only in early stage of cutting out all the fill in around the suspension components.  I'm only aware of WW2 use but given the number of survivors I suspect many remained in service for some time.

2 hours ago, dcrfan said:

I'm only aware of WW2 use but given the number of survivors I suspect many remained in service for some time.

It seems so - looks like here's one pulling a Panther in 1952:

spacer.png

spacer.png

My dad does little bit of wood working as a hobby - so he made me this out of scrap piece of wood.

spacer.png

Parts laid out. The left wing will be chopped off around the wing fold mechanism, so the guy wont be standing on the wing...

spacer.png

Cockpit started. My skills wont be enough to completely re-do all the details, but I added some just to make it little bit more interesting. Also sanded of the belts, later to be replaced. I left the lap belts in place, they will do their job.

spacer.png

Engine control levers out of plasticard rod.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some details added to the side panels.

spacer.png

Basecoat of Dark Ghost Gray.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the cockpit is done, everything looks better with little bit of paint.

spacer.png

Fuselage closed.

Until next time, sorting out the wings most likely.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, reini said:

And the cockpit is done, everything looks better with little bit of paint.

A whole lot better in this case! Nice work.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...