Airfix German Reconnaissance Set...Sd.kfz.222 and Kübelwagen...DAK, 1/76 scale...

For now, this is just the box-top.  I'll add some more images this afternoon or evening...A childhood classic.  This is a new box, taped and everything.  I will be building the DAK set.  As a child, the idea of a desert patrol was filled with adventure and derring-do, as opposed to other theatres.  I include LRDG, SAS and Popski's Private Army on this romantic list, of course.  

49889324901_b77e4055fd_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 10

Oh yes! Now this is a blast from the past John.

I remember very well building quite a few of these and have had a liking for the Sdkfz 222 ever since.

Completely agree with you about the long range desert patrols, there really is something about them fighting the environment as well as the enemy and some fantastic stories of heroism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

some fantastic stories of heroism.

I have heard that the earliest LRDG 'volunteers' were actually oil company guys who knew the lay of the land, etc...I just ordered the Dragon 1/72nd scale LRDG Chevy with the Hauler PE set.  I enjoyed building the Tamiya 1/35 scale years ago.  Let's see how it looks in True Scale!  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

just ordered the Dragon 1/72nd scale LRDG Chevy with the Hauler PE set.  I enjoyed building the Tamiya 1/35 scale years ago.  Let's see how it looks in True Scale!  

I've  had a look at that ,it looks a nice  model kit ,but  the xtra pe set will really set it off, i look forward to seeing that one john

Hi John,

For a moment there I though you meant the Airfix mess of an 8 wheeled armoured car. Whoever did the research for that was having a really bad day so it is a non existent hybrid of the S.Pz.Sp.Wg - Sd Kfz 234/4 (body and gun) with the divided mudguards of the  earlier Sd Kfz 231. Amazingly, in spite of the well known and reported inaccuracy I believe Airfix have just re-released it yet again.

Anyway, getting on to the kit you are actually building, I am pretty sure I built it though I had by then probably bought the first of my Fujimi 1/76 versions of the 222 which I rather like - I have several now. The beauty of the small tanks etc in the Fujimi range is that they added either a motorcycle of a Kubelwagen to fill the box, so I now have numerous Jeeps, Kubelwagen, BMW sidecar combinations and Harley Davidsons (I think). Having said that, the Airfix kit should be fine. I would have painted mine in the Humbrol Authentic paints HM2 Africa Corps sand which was quite yellow/orange (possibly too orange according to modern thinking) - the HM1 British sand was lighter and more brown. My old Humbrol conversion chart suggests Hu63 Matt Sand as a replacement for HM2, and 93 Desert Yellow for HM1, but as with the British, there was more than one "sand" colour used by the Africa Corps and  at least one was a brownish shade as in Jamie's paint range so Hu 94 as recommended should be ok. Initially they used the standard "Panzer Grey" as delivered, often with a coating of mud painted on, and later a patchy sand scheme on top according to my ref. books

This should be a quick build and I will watch with interest. This GB is certainly turning into a trip down "Memory Lane".

Pete.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

I remember buying one of these, getting it home, opening the box and wondering if they'd only packed half the kit. 

Small but nicely formed. I'd have liked some representation of the grenade screen on the 222 turret but that would be a bit of an ask in this scale. 

John 

• Like 1

Hi John,

Fujimi provide the screen but although the mesh is modelled it is solid and thick so the purist would no doubt cut it out leaving just the frames and insert some suitable mesh - I was playing with the idea of the nylon mesh from a tea stainer but never bothered.

Pete

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

summer holiday out in the garden fighting some fictional desert battle. 

Yes!  Making noises too...Mmmmm....Rrrrr...grngrngrngrn....

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

This should be a quick build

And it is, so far...

49893300097_95e89cc7ab_c_d.jpg

49893300067_1e4d711069_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Absolutely loved this kit, hot summer holiday out in the garden fighting some fictional desert battle. 

The terrain in my back garden was such that I could play out an amphibious landing, having to fight its way up a hillside.  The worst casualty was when a DUKW got chewed up by our dog.

Anyway, this is probably one of the few combo kits that you can hold in the palm of your hand ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, klr said:

The terrain in my back garden was such that I could play out an amphibious landing, having to fight its way up a hillside.  The worst casualty was when a DUKW got chewed up by our dog.

Anyway, this is probably one of the few combo kits that you can hold in the palm of your hand ...

Mine was a bit like the film Sahara a cut off allied unit trying to defend a strategic hill from an overwhelming Afrika corps! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, John Masters said:

Tank Force with Victor Mature

OK.  It was better back in the day when I was 10 years and I watched it Saturday afternoon...Nifty vehicles, however.  I couldn't find anything on a vehicle database.  I know that most are British vehicles repainted to look Italian (Bedfords) or Churchills one up like something other than those but there are some smaller trucks I would like to know...for instance...

49896590721_9f2b3924b7_c_d.jpg

and this one.  It looks French to me for some reason.

49896590681_bf5b4a39a1_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

Did some painting and more assembly last night...Vallejo Desert Yellow.  Looks alright for a first go-round.  Weathering will mute it a bit.

49896364658_f8ffd5128d_c_d.jpg

Wheel hubs are done.  I'll mask them all for the Rubber Black from the airbrush.

49896883316_808925dd34_c_d.jpg

And I have some jerry cans too.  I'll dig through the bins to find some other doo-dads to load up on the 222 and in the back seat of the Kübelwagen.  

49897193967_eef798f031_c_d.jpg

-John

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

they are coming along very nicely.

Thanks MM.  I am getting very excited about all the minutiae...rolled tarpaulins, cables, jerry-cans, buckets, etc...one must load these vehicles up with stuff!  Scratch building with a magnifying glass...Get ready for scratch-built shovels!😁  I have found some excellent resources online that show exquisite details.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thanks MM.  I am getting very excited about all the minutiae...rolled tarpaulins, cables, jerry-cans, buckets, etc...one must load these vehicles up with stuff!  Scratch building with a magnifying glass...Get ready for scratch-built shovels!😁  I have found some excellent resources online that show exquisite details.  

That sounds fantastic John! Really looking forward to your scratch-built shovels!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Masters said:

OK.  It was better back in the day when I was 10 years and I watched it Saturday afternoon...Nifty vehicles, however.  I couldn't find anything on a vehicle database.  I know that most are British vehicles repainted to look Italian (Bedfords) or Churchills one up like something other than those but there are some smaller trucks I would like to know...for instance...

49896590721_9f2b3924b7_c_d.jpg

and this one.  It looks French to me for some reason.

49896590681_bf5b4a39a1_c_d.jpg

--John

Hi John,

Looks very like the Ambulance in the RAF Emergency set to me - the bulge behind the driver (for the spare wheel I think) plus the fact that is seems to be right-hand drive are a bit of a giveaway. I am no expert on soft skins but I think it could be an Austin K2. I seem to remember having a Dinky toy of a small post war British truck (30 cwt?) that looked somewhat like the first pic, but perhaps that is French? I am sure somebody will know.

Cheers

Pete

Pete

7 minutes ago, PeterB said:

it could be an Austin K2

It is.  A quick search confirmed it.  Could be a fun build...

So far, wheels are painted...

Before...

49897795406_2ba93f7dd1_c_d.jpg

After...

49897279628_533d20a9bc_c_d.jpg

I took the time to use some of the Tire Black on the undersides of the vehicles.  It's a good base for any further weathering.

49898106352_cee4c08843_c_d.jpg

49897279418_d5aa322e05_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4