AV-8A Harrier

7 hours ago, SoftScience said:

If ever there was a tooling to revive, it's this one

I couldn't agree more as it's a great kit. Hopefully when Kinetic get their fingers out and actually release their long overdue AV-8A and Gr.1 kits people will start to sell these off and we will be able to get them more readily and more cheaply than you can at the minute.

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Bah! I knew that wouldn't last.

Looks like you've got the joints sorted quite nicely, I have a feeling that I will have similar ones to deal with on my AV-8B and ones on the underside wing to fuselage joint but thats what we have plastic putty for.

A few days later and all the major joints have been cleaned up and rescribed. For raised lines I scribe with a blade and then run some TET over the resulting ridges to fuse then into a line.

The model has been temporarily set on  it's main wheels to test it's stance. Everything seems in order.

IMG-20200520-215702773.jpg

Two questions. 

1. Do real harriers have that split line in thr instrument coaming?

2. There should be hinged flappy door thingies (official USMC designation ;) ) on these, no?

IMG-20200520-215719796.jpg

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Two questions. 

1. Do real harriers have that split line in thr instrument coaming?

2. There should be hinged flappy door thingies (official USMC designation ;) ) on these, no?

1) no ... 2) yes.... Happy to see this one up and on its feet albeit temporarily. Looking good here. 👍🏻

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been playing around with the ow-gzil-yerry doors ;)

I can't quite get them to look right. This is the closest I got, but they still look like the plane needs an orthodontist. 

IMG-20200525-213418.jpg

Ignore the semovente in the back. Though it IS a kit I build as a kid, it is not a GB entry.

• Like 4

Not much to report, but I cleaned up the auxiliary doors.

The intake parts don't fit too cleanly, so the joint will need to get smoothed out, and the closed doors on the bottom side will need to be rescribed. *Gulp!

IMG-20200527-233546.jpg

Not looking forward to the task, so it may be a bit before the next update.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Progress has slowed as mojo for plastic has gone out the window.

But I've been trying to put a few minutes into this project to maintain momentum.and get it to the paint stage, which I anticipate will be more fun.

Anyhow, you can see here the rescribed closed auxiliary doors on the bottoms of the intakes, as well as the oddly placed Aiden pods. Who knew it would be these things that were the problematic part of the model. When I fist put them on I put them too close to the centerline and reversed right and left. Unfortunately, they stuck so good that I had to pry them off, and lost some of the flange around the base. I tried to fill where I can, bit I'm going to scrounge other boxes for a centerline pylon and some kind of ordnance to mask that somewhat messy area.

IMG-20200604-215523.jpg

• Like 3

It's definitely better to have any untidiness underneath, rather than on top - as my models will testify :winkgrin:.

Seriously though, it's looking really good so far.

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...