Tamiya 262A - 1/48

Hi All - finally got round to finishing this up - this has probably been my longest build yet, done during the lockdown here in NZ. It's a lovely kit and really enjoyed putting it together. It's very well engineered - even for Tamiya and surpassed every kit I've done since returning to the hobby. Can't recommend it enough - if I had to knit pick, some rivet detail on the upperside would have been nice. And I'd recommend some aftermarket decals if tamiya decals have given you trouble in the past.

I added an Aires resin engine which was excellent and provides a huge amount of detail - it wasn't too hard integrating it with the model though it took a fair bit of work. It was my first stab at a resin engine so it was a good one to start off with. I also had a PE set from Eduard, however I left most of this on the fret - just using some wiring and the seat belts. The cockpit is quite detailed already, as is the wheel and gun bays. You can choose to display the latter open or closed - I didn't glue the covers in so I can switch them over which is nice. 

Painted with Mr Color, Tamiya Acrylics and Alclad - weathering with AK and Tamiya enamel washes and further weathering with oil paints. 

baSUkan.jpg

7MrfWPC.jpg

SsB9o6s.jpg

SXWamA6.jpg

LrbV6AA.jpg

PlziM0I.jpg

9XXDEIn.jpg

FbVHSbQ.jpg

MwUO5VL.jpg

3n8x4Bs.jpg

A8hLpcs.jpg

yHJJ5LU.jpg

pisTDjN.jpg

N9qiNV6.jpg

OG5xD5P.jpg

Thanks for looking - The WIP is here if you're interested: 

Hope you're doing well and staying safe where ever you are :)

John

• Like 44
  • Thanks 3

That's outstanding work - the engine detail is exquisite. If the kit's as good as you say I may have to stray away from my RAF/RAAF/FAA comfort zone! :clap2:

Best regards,

Roger

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Great build and the detail work is outstanding!

17 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

I thought I was looking at the original. 

Thanks guys :)

3 minutes ago, Dunny said:

That's outstanding work - the engine detail is exquisite. If the kit's as good as you say I may have to stray away from my RAF/RAAF/FAA comfort zone! :clap2:

Best regards,

Roger

It really is - I was surprised as it's quite old at this stage (released 2002) and I thought it was better than their Spitfire from last year - The fit is bang on everywhere and I had zero issues which is strange as I nearly always have issues :) 

• Thanks 1

This came out so well. It was fun to watch from the beginning of your WIP thread. 

I must say, the engine is really quite spectacular. The extra details you added make it that much more complete. 

Thanks for sharing this great build!

• Like 1

That is superb, brilliant result. Looks every inch the miniature of a real 262. I wouldn't be too fussed about the rivet detail as the real planes had filler galore.

8rh3e9l_sKVSYfT_6i6zfkMkuq2L_eSidOhBheLc

• Like 2

Very well done.

The more I look at it the more details I see that I like, like the dirt accumulated next to the rims of the wheels or the dragging of dirt behind the wells of the landing gear.

Great and nice job !!

Andrés S.

• Like 1

That's a cracking build John! The detail and the weathering is spot on.

Love the extras. The engine, gun bay and wheel wells look fantastic!

Gonna have a mooch at your wip now, looking forward to this...

Geoff 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Parabat said:

That is superb, brilliant result. Looks every inch the miniature of a real 262. I wouldn't be too fussed about the rivet detail as the real planes had filler galore.

8rh3e9l_sKVSYfT_6i6zfkMkuq2L_eSidOhBheLc

Thanks Parabat - you're correct of course.  I actually tried to recreate the effect that you see there - where the paint becomes slightly discolored over the putty but it's quite subtle and not really visible in the photos. As I said, I was knit picking re. rivet detail - the kit details are crisp and very nice in every sense. Tamiya really upped their game on this one :)

Thanks for all the kind comments guys :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...