The Alraigo Incident - Sea Harrier emergency landing

Hi all,

When Sub Lieutenant Ian Watson took off from HMS Illustrious on 6th June 1983 in a Sea Harrier, he probably never imagined landing later that day on a Spanish freighter - with his radio and navigation faulty and fuel almost out, he had no chance of making it back to the carrier. The ship he landed on the MV Alraigo docked four days later in Tenerife, with its new cargo safely aboard. You can read more about what would be called The Alraigo Incident

This was my attempt to recreate that in 1/72 for the 'In the Navy' GB here on the forum. The diorama build thread is here but to recap..

Kit: 1/72 Esci Sea Harrier FRS1

Build: Dropped the flaps, opened the upper blow in doors, otherwise OOB

Paint: Revell acrylics with airbrush, Flory Models Wash, Klear, Satin Varnish

Decals: Whirybird for Sea Harriers

Extras: Base from a picture frame. Containers & Van built from plastic card. Wood pallet from coffee sticks.

Figures: From Esci 'Nato Pilots' set

Am happy how it turned out, especially the shipping containers. The van is probably the weakest part of it all and could be more refined. But was my first time trying to scratchbuild anything that wasn't a box!

49882899908_dcf535215f_b.jpgEsci_Sea Harrier_Alraigo_diorama (3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49883427736_4af129391f_b.jpgEsci_Sea Harrier_Alraigo_diorama (4) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49883427651_f7d020847a_b.jpgEsci_Sea Harrier_Alraigo_diorama (5) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49883732842_25b2937635_b.jpgEsci_Sea Harrier_Alraigo_diorama (6) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49883732817_26fa2ceb3d_b.jpgEsci_Sea Harrier_Alraigo_diorama (7) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49883732472_d08a34a3f6_b.jpgEsci_Sea Harrier_Alraigo_diorama (9) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49883427021_cce4bc7112_b.jpgEsci_Sea Harrier_Alraigo_diorama (10) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49882898463_258ac1d3c2_b.jpgEsci_Sea Harrier_Alraigo_diorama (12) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and stay safe.

All the best.

Dermot

• Like 56

Nice work on that Dermot, I remember this from ages ago. Your WIP brought back the memory & this has capped it nicely, a fine bit of modelling Indeed. 👍

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Hi all,

When Sub Lieutenant Ian Watson took off from HMS Illustrious on 6th June 1983 in a Sea Harrier, he probably never imagined landing later that day on a Spanish freighter - with his radio and navigation faulty and fuel almost out, he had no chance of making it back to the carrier. The ship he landed on the MV Alraigo docked four days later in Tenerife, with its new cargo safely aboard. You can read more about what would be called The Alraigo Incident

This was my attempt to recreate that in 1/72 for the 'In the Navy' GB here on the forum. The diorama build thread is here but to recap..

Kit: 1/72 Esci Sea Harrier FRS1

Build: Dropped the flaps, opened the upper blow in doors, otherwise OOB

Paint: Revell acrylics with airbrush, Flory Models Wash, Klear, Satin Varnish

Decals: Whirybird for Sea Harriers

Extras: Base from a picture frame. Containers & Van built from plastic card. Wood pallet from coffee sticks.

Figures: From Esci 'Nato Pilots' set

Am happy how it turned out, especially the shipping containers. The van is probably the weakest part of it all and could be more refined. But was my first time trying to scratchbuild anything that wasn't a box!

49882899908_dcf535215f_b.jpgEsci_Sea Harrier_Alraigo_diorama (3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Dermot

HEY!   I remember seeing this photo around on the Internet, mostly on the likes of Pinterest. I never thought to see an actual model diorama of it!!

That is really amazing, that is really great work. It is like, instead of looking at a flat 2D photo, you got yourself a 3D hologram photo!!! Really great!!

You should be given an award for it. That's a very good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Now that brings back memories! Cracking work on one of the most memorable incidents with the SHAR and a happy ending at that for the Alreigo Kid and the FAA - imagine an F-35B doing that party trick now, the van might be a toasted Marshmallow!

The SHAR coud practically land anywhere - Frigates, LPDs and container ships.

Would like to see some F-35Bs training to land on destroyers and frigates now days for emergency diversion purposes, alass the woke society would not approve and boat helidecks might require some heat absorbing coating that will cost more than the F-35B...

I wonder if some cheeky boffin has created a simulator sortie for an F-35B diverting to a frigate helideck or container ship as part of the Sim training program at Marham 🙂

HMS Albion & Bulwark and Bay class would be a good stand in...