Sources for Biplane Rigging Line and Brass Rod

sjsald

Hi Everyone, I am still new to this so I appreciate everyone's patience with all of my questions.  Do people have a good source for rigging line for 1/72nd and 1/48th scale aircraft? Furthermore, any good sources for brass struts to replace some cast resin struts? 

I super appreciate the advice! :) 

I'm afraid that Brass Strutz (T/m) are no longer available. Most of the machinery such as the wire drawing bench was scrapped when Mike Eacock died. I rescued the key wire forming machine element but found that the special forming die roller sets had disappeared so it was rendered useless as they were engineered by Mike and were not commercial items.

I like the finest soft Iron Florists wire, which I use in 1:48 or Albion Alloys Point one (0.1) and Point 2 MM (0.2) Nickel Silver wire. Ceramic (Rigging) wire is available in the States.  All the ones mentioned are cut to length rigid wires.  For the stretch threads then Easi-Line appears to be the most popular or the non stretch old standby, is Nylon invisible thread. Some lycra threads such as Goldzak (if you can get it) are good but some cheaper brands are UV sensitive.

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, John Aero said:

I'm afraid that Brass Strutz (T/m) are no longer available. Most of the machinery such as the wire drawing bench was scrapped when Mike Eacock died. I rescued the key wire forming machine element but found that the special forming die roller sets had disappeared so it was rendered useless as they were engineered by Mike and were not commercial items.

For 1;48th I like the finest soft Iron Florists wire, which I use in 1:48 or Albion Alloys Point one (0.1) and Point 2 MM (0.2) Nickel Silver wire. Ceramic (Rigging) wire is available in the States.  All the ones mentioned are cut to length rigid wires.  For the stretch threads then Easi-Line appears to be the most popular or the non stretch old standby, is Nylon invisible thread. Some lycra threads such as Goldzak (if you can get it) are good but some cheaper brands are UV sensitive.

John

Thank you John! This is super helpful :) 

For 1/72 there are several possibilities.

So-called "invisible thread" is a nylon monofilament available at  craft and sewing supply stores. It comes in two colors, clear and "smoke." I like the "smoke." Nylon monofilament is also available as fly fishing leader.

Caenis fly-tying thread is available in black and white, but can be colored with a paint marker. It is extremely fine. Some modelers of 1/700 ships like to use it for rigging.

Some modelers have used fine steel wire, usually found as surgical or suture wire. But it is hard to handle and can actually be dangerous if mishandled, slicing fingers to bone.

Easy-Line is popular among some modelers. It is stretchy, but is rather thick and has a lumpy appearance.

Stretched sprue is another old standby, but sprue stretching is a black art to some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

For 1/72 there are several possibilities.

So-called "invisible thread" is a nylon monofilament available at  craft and sewing supply stores. It comes in two colors, clear and "smoke." I like the "smoke." Nylon monofilament is also available as fly fishing leader.

Caenis fly-tying thread is available in black and white, but can be colored with a paint marker. It is extremely fine. Some modelers of 1/700 ships like to use it for rigging.

Some modelers have used fine steel wire, usually found as surgical or suture wire. But it is hard to handle and can actually be dangerous if mishandled, slicing fingers to bone.

Easy-Line is popular among some modelers. It is stretchy, but is rather thick and has a lumpy appearance.

Stretched sprue is another old standby, but sprue stretching is a black art to some.

Thank you Michael! This is also super helpful

If you want stretchy thread I've got the superfine thread from Uschi van der Rosten and it's like they say, almost invisible unless you get close.

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categories/shop-rigging-and-various/ second item down, select the thickness from the drop down box.

• Like 4

For  struts I have seen people carve them from cocktail sticks and skewers for larger sizes.

There is also a commercially available device for 'squeezing' airfoil section struts from metal tube. I think it is called the 'Strutter' and possibly made/sold by Albion Alloys (not cheap, but probably cost effective if you do lots of biplanes...

Matt

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rossm said:

If you want stretchy thread I've got the superfine thread from Uschi van der Rosten and it's like they say, almost invisible unless you get close.

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categories/shop-rigging-and-various/ second item down, select the thickness from the drop down box.

I forgot to mention Uschi's thread. It's great stuff, too.

• Thanks 1

I use 0.15mm fishing wire for biplane rigging and aerials, ideal for 48th scale (probably a bit big for 72nd, but I use it anyway).

Still trying to find suitable teardrop/aerofoil brass rod...

• Like 1

hi  all ,

I use a very fine  Armature Wire, and then flatten lengths with Bench Vice that was'nt completed durin' my Apprenticeship

( last Century !)   The moveable smooth faced Jaw is free movin' in the guide .

I stand it up, place 70mm lengths of this wire on the fixed also smooth Jawed and.

drop the moveable about (6) times onto the wire . Bein' Copper with some shiny coatin', the Copper gets work hardened

and stiff, so it's very easy to cut with scissors, .........and hope you have cut the right length !

I have predrilled  #75 holes  before assembly of the Kit  and leave stubs of the wire protrudin' out to be removed when it

comes around to riggin' the Model .

cheery "stay safe 'n' model " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G.3156

• Like 1

hi Keith ,

I have long forgotten the Gauges of Wire.  

I would write...... just "Eyeball " it  after referencin'  Walk Around Photo's if possiable

The smaller you get the more you can git away with !

btw : does anyone know where to source 1/144 Seagulls !..... NO joke !

I need some for a ex Naval Aircraft at an Air Museum.

.......... I can do the "droppin's "

cheery  "stay safe'n' and Model "  mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Like 1

21 hours ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi Keith ,

I have long forgotten the Gauges of Wire.  

I would write...... just "Eyeball " it  after referencin'  Walk Around Photo's if possiable

The smaller you get the more you can git away with !

btw : does anyone know where to source 1/144 Seagulls !..... NO joke !

I need some for a ex Naval Aircraft at an Air Museum.

.......... I can do the "droppin's "

cheery  "stay safe'n' and Model "  mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

Might be easiest to make some, at that scale dtail isn't a problem. A small blob of white milliput and paper or very thin plastic card for wings.