German Sea Fury Target Tugs - colour?

petetasker

Prop powered fighters have never been my thing but I seem to have developed an unhealthy interest in Airfix’s new 1/48 Sea Fury. I’ve ordered a few reference books but in the meantime can anyone confirm which red the Germans used on their target tugs - thanks in advance

Ooo.. lovely, Pete. I have no idea on the specific colour but your post takes me back to a cold day hanging around the general aviation apron at Gatwick in the early 1970s and two of these beasts trundled in, both now UK-registered. They wre clearing customs on their way to Blackbushe. Fantastic! I have some grainy B&W shots somewhere but nothing in colour, sadly.

Martin

• Like 1

The Air Britain Photo Library has some color photos of the ex-German Sea Fury TT. 20s.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Hawker Sea Fury TT20

Here're photos of a Sea Fury with German registration.

0000271.jpg

0000271_2.png

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 1

Did they have single seaters or are you planning a conversion?  I do have some hard copy photos in a box in my loft of the example at Duxford taken a few years ago. I was using a decent SLR with colour roll film at the time so the colours are a good match to my eye at the time.   I can look these out if it helps? It seems a dark cherry red, I would guess an RAL colour. 

1 hour ago, neilh said:

Did they have single seaters or are you planning a conversion?  I do have some hard copy photos in a box in my loft of the example at Duxford taken a few years ago. I was using a decent SLR with colour roll film at the time so the colours are a good match to my eye at the time.   I can look these out if it helps? It seems a dark cherry red, I would guess an RAL colour. 

Hi Yes they had one single seater D-CACY. Found lots of shots of it on the web but I wondered whether some official colour was used. Might even be tempted to do a 1/32 two seater if I can find a Fishermodeks kit that won’t cost me a kidney

2 hours ago, zebra said:

I don't have any info on the colour but had to go and find my photo of D-CACY at Duxford in 1996:

German Sea Fury

It looks to me like it could be RAL 3003 ruby red - have a look here: https://www.ralcolorchart.com/ral-classic/ral-3003-ruby-red

Also looks like FS 31136 wouldn't be far off.

Cheers for this. I’ve just about decided to go with FS31136 with a bit of shading and weathering plus the single port side aileron that was presumably cannibalised from one of the two seaters which had day glow outer wing sections.

• Like 1