Ready for inspection

Hello all.

I have noticed that there are a lot of models being posted up in the RFI sections at the moment. Anyone would think that all of a sudden a lot of us have a lot more time to spend on making models for some reason.:shrug:

The problem there is that a lot of well built kits are getting missed simply as so many are being posted. I went on to the aircraft RFI this morning after not looking for a couple of days and realised there was a lot that I had missed, because they had been pushed onto page two. I know from posting my own build that once they drop off page one they get viewed a lot less. Now I know that it's up to me to go looking, but perhaps it could be made easier.

Perhaps, for example, in the aircraft section there could be separate areas for RFIs split by scale or using the same era divisions as the discussion topics. The same could apply to the other sections. That way the completed models can be appreciated a lot longer.

Just my thoughts, and I know it will be more work for Mike and co, but what do others think?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's a difficult one as personally I like the set up as it is,I totally agree superb models do get missed and  it's a great  shame when there's a

surge in posts and within a couple of hours quality builds end up on page two and get overlooked,I have to admit on occasions instead of a simple

like I will add a comment  to the odd one to get it noticed(not mine I hasten to add).Now I'm not a real lover of modern or Civil types but see and comment

on many in RFI if they were in separate section I think I and many other's might  simply skip the section and miss some inspirational work.

• Like 3

Work In Progress threads suffer similarly.  I used to post WIP threads on various forums, but gave up as no-one paid any attention to mine - no point in going to the extra effort of interrupting a build every 5 minutes to take photos if no-one is even going to give you the time of day.

Those that do get the attention, in RFI or WIP, on any forum or other form of social media, are those by modellers who spend big on big kits, on as much aftermarket items as possible, and/or scratchbuild everything that isn't already in a kit and available as aftermarket items.

Even happens in a Group Build, when you'd think people would be looking to see what's going on...

Thread's being overlooked is an age old problem, not really one related to an increase in people's activity.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Hello all.

I have noticed that there are a lot of models being posted up in the RFI sections at the moment. Anyone would think that all of a sudden a lot of us have a lot more time to spend on making models for some reason.:shrug:

The problem there is that a lot of well built kits are getting missed simply as so many are being posted. I went on to the aircraft RFI this morning after not looking for a couple of days and realised there was a lot that I had missed, because they had been pushed onto page two. I know from posting my own build that once they drop off page one they get viewed a lot less. Now I know that it's up to me to go looking, but perhaps it could be made easier.

Perhaps, for example, in the aircraft section there could be separate areas for RFIs split by scale or using the same era divisions as the discussion topics. The same could apply to the other sections. That way the completed models can be appreciated a lot longer.

Just my thoughts, and I know it will be more work for Mike and co, but what do others think?

I kind of agree, its become a bit of a monster and stuff does easily get missed. How / if we look at it I dont know. We already have a fair few members who struggle to pot in the right section as it is.

Julien

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

using the same era divisions as the discussion topics.

That's the obvious one, I would suggest.

I can understand the frustration of the authors for not getting noticed and of the other modellers for missing interesting builds, so maybe having separate sections by era would help.

At the same time we can see that there are two "problems" with such an approach:

- certain sections would be more popular than others, that may result in missing great builds from eras in which someone is not too interested (for example, I rarely venture into the WW1 discussion section but I don't mind watching a WW1 subject in the RFI section).

- modellers would sometime be left wondering which section their build belongs to... and at the same time modellers would mistakenly put a model in the wrong section, resulting in more work for the administrators.

Confusion with the era is something that already often happens when it comes to the Modern section, where I often see questions on types that really belong to the Cold War era. Not that it bothers me too much, but it shows how divisions based on eras are often hard to get right. And then there are those subjects that cross from one into the other...

Maybe an easier way to divide subjects in the RFI would be propellers and jets, with each section including anything with one or the other, regardless of era and military of commercial. Of course this means that helicopters and other similar machines would need either a separate section or fit into one of the other two.

• Like 4

I can understand the frustration but it doesn't take too much effort to go back through the pages. If everyone makes their titles clear and concise it only takes a glance to see which ones are of interest, it's when folk try to be witty with their titles (as I have done on occasions) that posts will be scanned over but missed. If I were a Mod here I would not want the extra work of moving F-4 Phantom posts back into Cold War from Modern only to find that they might be a Greek or Turkish F-4 which might actually be Modern!

Just my penny's worth.

Duncan B

• Like 5

I tend to review RFI daily. So I don't miss many but yes scanning pages 2 and 3 is worthwhile. There's always something good to see. 

Basically, this thread covers Aircraft, because of the sheer number of entries daily. Aircraft make up the vast bulk of what gets posted on BM. But I do agree with Duncan that the title of the RFI thread should be better laid out. Maybe if there were boxes to fill in that were obligatory, people might follow it better. For instance, a title that would identify straight away what the model was, and not something snappy and catchy. And, and I think that this is very important, a box for the scale of the model. So many times members leave that info off. With those first two being required, then you can have the tags afterwards, where any other info can be added. I know what I've said is similar to what already exists, but with subtle differences so that straight away, the reader can tell what the model is and what scale it is. Anything else can (hopefully) be gleaned from the text.

John.

• Like 9

Is this an appropriate time to revisit the vexed issue of a separate RFI section for civil aircraft?

Edit: This is the link to the earlier discussion which in hindsight I should probably have included. If RFI Aircraft was to be split, civil aircraft would seem a natural separate section rather than having airliners scattered among several sub-forums of basically military interest. From the point of view of the airliner modeller that wouldn't be any improvement on the present situation, in fact probably worse.

• Like 5

Unfortunately I'm not convinced that there is a strong enough reason to further complicate the forums and sub forums in order to save what is just in effect a couple of mouse clicks to move to the next page and then scroll through.  

• It would take far more mouse clicks and effort to navigate round the additional RFI, WIP
  • It would open a can of worms for the other genres outside of aircraft, resulting in yet more sub forums
  • It would increase the Mod burden yet again and result in even more time spent clearing up after the:
    • hard of understanding 
    • couldn't be bothered to check/read before posting

I know this isn't the right forum, but...

• On checking the other major forums, they have a single RFI and WIP for all genres mashed in together, we are already providing genre specific areas.
  • It ensures that WIPs and RFI's have greater exposure to browsing members whose interest may be piqued by something out of their normal interest area within a genre.

Additionally, if likes are your measure of success, please ensure that your post is titled, tagged and scaled correctly. There is no option in the forum software to enable click boxes and besides which If posters cant title and tag as it is, its more than likely futile to enforce.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I know I miss a lot of good builds in both RFI and WIP because I don't look in everything posted. That's my own fault. I do look at titles with a specific mention of the model in it that is of interest to me directly. In the stuff I post, I try to put as much as I can but to the point in the topic line, I think I put to much sometimes in the title line. That being said though, I'll look at a model titled with truck in it over a model title with tank.

I’m not convinced the Aircraft RFI Section needs any further breakdown but  the AFV section (large armour excepted) lumps armour in with soft skins, so why not have a section for tanks & APC’s and another section for soft skinned military vehicles - trucks, jeeps, ambulances, refuellers and artillery etc? Or military vehicles that fight and those which don’t?

Probably won't make an ounce of difference. At the moment, we have a separate section for 1/16th AFV's, but if you look at the current WIP and RFI, you'll see the 1/16th scale in there as well, so it's not being utilised.

John.

• Like 1

Now I feel bad about putting my builds in and getting in the way of the good stuff!  Trouble is, this is the only place I can show my models to like-minded people... My friends and family tend to remember important appointments when I select "photos" on my phone.  I periodically run down the RFI thread and toss handfuls of "likes" but I know I'm missing some killer builds.  I don't bother with the WIP stuff usually... The techniques described are invariably far too advanced for my ten magic thumbs.  Hats off and a big salute to the admin team... None of them will ever have to buy their own pint in my local pub.

I tend to miss RFI completely. Instead I browse the various WIP sections and follow anything that catches my attention. That way I get to see the finished build AND how it got there which is perfect for me and I get a daily diet that covers everything from sci-fi figures to WW1 armour to aircraft that were in action this morning. Bargain :)

Andy

• Like 1

I think that the activity here will die down again as people return to work so restructuring the forum would be unnecessary in the long run

• Like 1

Perhaps if more use were made of the "like" button instead of myriad posts saying simply "nice model" or the like, the RFI model would not get swamped with so many posts and get lost as the page turns.

Just a thought.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, roginoz said:

Perhaps if more use were made of the "like" button instead of myriad posts saying simply "nice model" or the like, the RFI model would not get swamped with so many posts and get lost as the page turns.

I'm not sure, but do posts in the RFI forum go toward your post count? If so that might explain the number of meaningful content free posts.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in RFI and having added a few examples, have given up. The time and effort to photograph and upload just isn't repaid in useful criticism ... basically, you're all too nice! Remember we learn from our mistakes, but only if they are pointed out to us.

In a photography forum I once frequented, users had the option of submitting their images either for 'appreciation' or criticism. Perhaps something like that could be done here? E.g if a person wanted constructive (possibly harsh) criticism, then they could add "for review" or similar in the subject line. If this is not present, then posts would be restricted to questions about the model or technique.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

The rules of the forum are that only nice postings are allowed.  Or at the very least, "critical" postings are frowned on.  Some (a few) modellers actively resent having anything but praise, or anything that could be interpreted as a need for them to learn something new.  The overall value of "playing nicely" makes for a generally well-behaved forum but has the drawback ckw highlights..  Personally I would prefer to have acceptable criticism as the default and those who prefer otherwise to have at the top of their input. DO NOT DARE TO CRITICISE MY WORK!

It is not as though the majority of RFI are anything but very good or better.  In all fairness, by the time the model has reached this stage it is rare for any helpful comments to be, well, helpful, except perhaps in terms of modelling techniques.  However it should be remembered that every posting is proclaiming to the world that "THIS IS HOW IT WAS" and capable of being plucked out of context and taken as gospel by future modellers of the type.  It seems only fair to be able to add, where appropriate, a small footnote to the effect of "Not quite..."

• Like 3

Personally I feel if your brave enough to show your work regardless of the quality. Then you deserve a like at the Minimum, and some may very well deserve a compliment. It takes a lot of nerve for some people to show there work, particularly if they don't have the best confidence. I try to get the RFI everyday but sometimes I get busy and miss builds. I try to scan the previous pages but don't always have the time. 

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

I personally keep a page open on my phone for the aircraft RFI and the 'sort by'  is set to 'start date'. That way I shouldn't miss anything, as I can check back through to the last topic I replied to. Seeing as the default setting for the sorting in the WIP and RFI is 'recently updated' could it not be changed to 'start date' ? Seems the best solution to me but then I don't have a website to run so I will bow to superior knowledge.

• Like 1