Miles Messenger scale drawings/plans

Mattlow

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can point me towards a good set of plans for the Miles Messenger? I have a three view, downloaded from the 'net which looks quite decent. I think it is from a book on Miles aircraft whose plans feature on the Museum of Berkshire Aviation website.

I'm hoping to have a go at doing one in 1/48 scale

I've gleaned quite a few details from various sources, such as this excellent pre-flight and flight on Youtube. But any pointers to good scale plans would be most useful and appreciated.  Matt

• Like 1

I have long intended to do a 1:48 model of the Messenger and the Gemini as these are another two of my all time favorites from my boyhood days at Tollerton aerodrome. Also I was able to fly in G-AKIN last year.

There are 1:72 scale plans of the Messenger and the Gemini which has a virtually identical airframe, and they are all based on the original Aeromodeller plans, both in the magazine and the Harboro Book of Miles Aircraft.  The same plans unfortunately also appear on the net and in the Air Britain Miles books. There are some errors in this Messenger plan. One is that the whole tail group is drawn a scale 3" too far forwards. I confirmed this by actually measuring  G-AKVZ.  There are also other issues.

To this end I've drawn my own plans for both of these aircraft by gathering together information from differing sources. VZ has the early Military square rear cabin windows whilst KIN has the later ovoid shaped ones. The windscreen was originally more upright which was replaced by a more rounded Gemini type on most later machines.  You can PM me if you wish. 

One of my first vacform kits was a 1:72 Messenger in 1972.

John

• Like 4

Thanks John

I shall PM you. My interest is partly, maybe even significantly driven by having lived in Woodley for many years. Just a couple of minutes' walk from the site of the airfield (mostly dug out for gravel, hangers remaining as various industrial units. I used to cycle home from school on the old perimeter road. It's now another nondescript housing estate with all the roads named after aircraft, but no Miles aircraft that i can recall... :(

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Your post brought back memories for me too.

When I was a kid, a regular visitor to Elmdon (as it was known then) was the Gemini of Motor dealer Percy Blamire. I seem to remember it being bronze with blue trim and that the owner raced it regularly in the King's Cup air races at Baginton, Coventry.

I recall it being a very smart little aircraft.

Nice memories of the viewing field at Elmdon.

Dave

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 2:00 AM, Fastcat said:

Hi,

Your post brought back memories for me too.

When I was a kid, a regular visitor to Elmdon (as it was known then) was the Gemini of Motor dealer Percy Blamire. I seem to remember it being bronze with blue trim and that the owner raced it regularly in the King's Cup air races at Baginton, Coventry.

I recall it being a very smart little aircraft.

Nice memories of the viewing field at Elmdon.

Dave

Hmm..I can recall attending the Midland Area Model Flying Rally at an airfield (Halfpenny Green?) not too far out of Birmingham around 1966? In the afternoon we were buzzed by a twin engine light plane with blue trim that I'm reasonably sure was a Gemini. (twin tail?) After much frantic goings on the pilot put it down on the grass, wheels up. Turns out he had some problem or other and wished to make an emergency landing.. rather awkward as the whole field was packed with aeromodellers and models floating about all over the shop. and there were no comms between air and ground....He got down safely as I recall but was not happy.

Could this have been the same aircraft and perhaps owner?

I remember a couple of trips to Elmdon (Birmingham Airport ) in the 60's but later had to catch the Intercity train London to Brum in Xmas 1972 as the weather closed Brum down) this after a 27hr flight from Brisbane, Australia so I never actually 'flew' in to the airport LOL.

• Like 1

Ah, Halfpenny Green or Bobbington as it was also known. No, it's not too far from Birmingham, I cycled there a couple of times. From memory, amongst others I saw a Brantly Helicopter and the tiny Cosmic Wind "Ballerina" a lovely little aircraft. 

Regarding the Gemini, it's possible as the Gemini was based at Coventry (Baginton) and was a familiar sight in the Midlands.

I managed a couple of flights out of Birmingham, one of them in a Bristol Britannia. 

By 1966, I had a motor bike and had left school and didn't visit Elmdon as often.

Dave 

On 10/6/2020 at 8:08 AM, Fastcat said:

Ah, Halfpenny Green or Bobbington as it was also known. No, it's not too far from Birmingham, I cycled there a couple of times. From memory, amongst others I saw a Brantly Helicopter and the tiny Cosmic Wind "Ballerina" a lovely little aircraft. 

Regarding the Gemini, it's possible as the Gemini was based at Coventry (Baginton) and was a familiar sight in the Midlands.

I managed a couple of flights out of Birmingham, one of them in a Bristol Britannia. 

By 1966, I had a motor bike and had left school and didn't visit Elmdon as often.

Dave 

At the time I was a member (junior) of the Blackheath and Halesowen MAC. and we often flew on the common (not quite sure where) I emigrated from Quinton with my parents in 67 and settled in Brisbane, Australia .. I too discovered motorcycling (ideal climate out here but the roads are rubbish!) Just downsized from a 900 to a nice light 320cc ...it was either that or a mobility scooter! LOL.

IIRC the Gemini was a locally based a/c I sometimes wonder if there has ever been a kit of it and whether it was repaired, it didnt seem to be too bad, a nice landing by all accounts. Unfortunately picked a bad day and wrong time..

• Like 1