F-105K

Devilfish

Entering service in 1963 to fill GOR.339.  Named the Thunder GR.1, the F-105K was the first two seat version of the F-105.  The only changes from the US version were a conformal bomb bay to hold the Red Beard target marker, and the deletion of the 20mm gun, it being replaced by a strike camera.

By the early 70's an updated version was put forward, which would see it re-engined and new avionics and cockpit displays.  A Ferranti TFR, and side looking radar was fitted, along with an LRMTS under the nose. The nuclear role, having gone to the Navy, was removed, and conventional weapons catered for.  

213 Sqn flew the Thunder GR.3 from RAF Gutersloh, mostly in the recon role, with the EMI pod, up until 1984, when the Thunder was replaced by the Hornet GR.1

Kit is the 1/48 Hobbyboss F-105G

GR.1 (Monogram kit) and GR.3 

49878815382_1ecf056095_c.jpg20200510_145546 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

49878509986_836d21919e_c.jpg20200510_150703 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

49878815202_5971bb6848_c.jpg20200510_150709 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

49878815137_70a113acc7_c.jpg20200510_150722 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

49877976238_7442cb2169_c.jpg20200510_150726 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

49878509666_ae5231bdfa_c.jpg20200510_150808 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

49877976218_acf5f62d6c_c.jpg20200510_150740 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

• Like 34

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

Love them but we would have put a Spey in and made it fatter and slower.

The Spey is actually smaller in diameter and shorter than the TF-30 fitted to the F-111F

• Like 1

Nice work

my first reaction on seeing them in grey green camo was that if you squinted sideways at them they looked a smidgen like a Sepecat product. 

perhaps an Armee de L’air one next?

15 minutes ago, Devilfish said:

The Spey is actually smaller in diameter and shorter than the TF-30 fitted to the F-111F

The F-105 used the J-75 (I think the A-7 used the TF-30).  When the UK government decided to put the Spey into the Phantom it needed a redesign to a) fit the thing and b) to allow the higher airflow needed - hence the RAF Phantom being about 6 inches wider than the J-79 powered version.

22 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

The F-105 used the J-75 (I think the A-7 used the TF-30).  When the UK government decided to put the Spey into the Phantom it needed a redesign to a) fit the thing and b) to allow the higher airflow needed - hence the RAF Phantom being about 6 inches wider than the J-79 powered version.

Sorry, so busy at work, I'm confusing my builds.  The Spey is still the same diameter as the J-75, but iirc , longer. 

The F-4J used the J-79 which is about 5 inches smaller in diameter

16 minutes ago, Devilfish said:

Sorry, so busy at work, I'm confusing my builds.  The Spey is still the same diameter as the J-75, but iirc , longer. 

The F-4J used the J-79 which is about 5 inches smaller in diameter

No problem - but I think the key is that the Spey is a turbofan and needed a higher airflow than the turbojet J-79 hence the wider intakes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

No problem - but I think the key is that the Spey is a turbofan and needed a higher airflow than the turbojet J-79 hence the wider intakes.

Can't get everything right, lol

Looking super in the wrap around camo.

19 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Very nice - the F105 does look very British with those curves, like a super Hunter

I'm thinking "Super Hunter" would be a great name for this.

1 hour ago, Devilfish said:

The lighter one was Tamiya Dark Sea Grey (XF-54?)  

Wow. Looks so much darker than I thought it would. How'd you make the grey appear so light and defined? :)

13 minutes ago, Lewis95 said:

Wow. Looks so much darker than I thought it would. How'd you make the grey appear so light and defined? :)

It's probably the lighting.  I just put a panel line wash over it.  Other than that, it's as it comes out of the jar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting! 😊

Was GOR. 339 the programme the ill fated Hawker P. 1121 was supposed to fill?

I've considered an RAF F-105 for some time and, given the broadly similar performance /capabilities (obviously projected for the P. 1121), I'd think the 105 would be an ideal off the shelf replacement.

My own concept would involve a minimum change aircraft with British avionics, Martin Baker bang seats and, retaining the 20mm cannon.

I'd also add a Sidewinder launcher to each of the inboard pylons.

Budgetary constraints prohibit me from buying the necessary kits at present . I had envisaged using the Trumpeter 1/32 F105 but, will have to downgrade to the 1/48 H B kits!

Allan

Very cool indeed, I once did one in Boscombe Down A&AEE colours - they look great with RAF roundels on them!

On 8/15/2020 at 7:10 AM, Albeback52 said:

Interesting! 😊

Was GOR. 339 the programme the ill fated Hawker P. 1121 was supposed to fill?

I've considered an RAF F-105 for some time and, given the broadly similar performance /capabilities (obviously projected for the P. 1121), I'd think the 105 would be an ideal off the shelf replacement.

My own concept would involve a minimum change aircraft with British avionics, Martin Baker bang seats and, retaining the 20mm cannon.

I'd also add a Sidewinder launcher to each of the inboard pylons.

Budgetary constraints prohibit me from buying the necessary kits at present . I had envisaged using the Trumpeter 1/32 F105 but, will have to downgrade to the 1/48 H B kits!

Allan

No, it was the one that lead to the TSR.2.  The RAF did actually look at the F-105 not once, but twice to fill this role, but rejected it.  Not sure what the reasons were, but I guess it just wasn't "space age" enough...

1 hour ago, Devilfish said:

No, it was the one that lead to the TSR.2.  The RAF did actually look at the F-105 not once, but twice to fill this role, but rejected it.  Not sure what the reasons were, but I guess it just wasn't "space age" enough...

Thanks for the info. 😊👍.

Probably rejected at the time because of its high NIH (Not Invented Here) factor too!!, 😉.

At the time, the 105 was still a relatively new aircraft which would likely have performed very well in the role that the Buccaneer ultimately fulfilled. If I recall correctly, the latter was  ordered (rather reluctantly) by the RAF following TSR 2 demise.

I have plans to do both single and, 2 seat versions.

Allan

Ps. I think the type also looks really mean and, raring to go!

Edited by Albeback52

On 5/13/2020 at 12:09 PM, iainpeden said:

Love them but we would have put a Spey in and made it fatter and slower.

And got  ourselves the world's slowest, heaviest, most powerful and costliest F-105s years late because of the problems with (in my view anyway) completely unnecessary changes to an already good design!! 😂😂.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...