Dragon 1/48 Ju-88C-6

I was inspired by Calum's ICM 1/48 Ju-88C-6 build with the 'pox'. Great build and a different paint scheme which made me dig out my Dragon kit along with all the different bits and pieces I had collected for this build when I got around to it. This kit has also been sold under the Revell & Promodeller name.

have also been reading 'Bloody Biscay - The History of V Gruppe/Kampfgeschwader 40' by Chris Goss a great insight into this units combat against the RAF, USAAF and USN above the Bay of Biscay during the period of July 42 to August 44. Two great reasons to get a start on this project.

If I needed a third reason its because I've been on a twin engined build spree lately having done Tamiya's Beaufighter Mk.21, Promodeller's Me 410B with Hobby Boss' Me 262A-2a currently in the paint shop and putting the final touches on Great Wall's P-61B Blackwidow.

Looking at something like the top two examples from KG 40 during its period of  Bay of Biscay First one F8+RY looks like I may have to mask the RLM 76 camo and the other do it freehand.

RLM 76 patches over original RLM 70/71 Splinter with RLM 65 undersides.

spacer.png

All the bits & pieces I've collected over the years.

Kagero Ju 88 Vol III.

Squadron Signal Ju 88 in Action Pt.2

Verlinden Ju 88 cockpit detail set (Monogram) We'll see how it goes in the Dragon kit.

Eduard Ju 88C canopy mask (A must have for this type of canopy)

Eduard Ju 88C-6 Etch set (Interior & Exterior) This may not be used as I bought it before I realised that I don't like PE. Some parts may be used to cover some of the numerous ejector pin marks.

Techmod Ju 88A-1

Xtradecal Ju 88A, C, G

Airdoc Ju 88 Pt. 2 Ju 88A KG 1, 3, 26 & 30 (Lots of decal sheets just so I have plenty of options and can make any code - except F8 of KG 40 which I'm liking the look of)

spacer.png

When I pulled all the bits and pieces out I wondered why I got Verlinden's resin cockpit. But I soon discovered on closer inspection of the parts why. A disappointing thing with this kit is the numerous ejector pin marks in very conspicuous areas. The cockpit parts are riddled with them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another short coming is the props. What's going on there? Different lengths & shapes of the tips. May look at aftermarket and see what's available or just sand them to similar shapes.

spacer.png

Good points

The radios/radar instruments are all good as well as the main instrument panel. Just as good as the resin stuff.

D95NQha.jpg

spacer.png

That's as far as I've got so far.

Will give the resin a clean up tonight and maybe a start at dry fitting it into the forward fuselage.

Can't guarantee a quick build especially with the amount of resin to go into the cockpit, but we'll see how we go.

Cheers

Edited by Red Dog
  • Like 3

Little bit more done.

Put all the resin into the cockpit. No problems with the fit. Went very well and very simple to put in place. Regards to Verlinden.

Painted those parts today with Tamiya XF-63. Next move to add some highlights and shadows and colour to some of the bits and bobs.

spacer.png

Lovely details which will be enhanced with more paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

• Like 3

I’ve got this kit in the Pro Modeler boxing, so I’ll be watching with great interest! Mine came as a night fighter, so it’s got all those radar antenna. 

Looking forward to seeing how the cockpit comes together!

Update

Cockpit parts painted.

spacer.png

A touch of colour.

Not much colour in this cockpit apart from the seats, few dials and levers.

Fk3h3Ak.jpg

FptCihR.jpg

spacer.png

Assembly of these parts next.

Cheers

• Like 2

Thanks phildagreek.

Cheers Rad Max 8.

Been a bit slower than I would have liked (I was going to say that life has got in the way, but seeing as i don't have a life that can't be the case. I will blame it on having to home school my 6 year old, keeping both daughters apart and house chores during this time). As well as other modelling projects.

Finally got cockpit together. plenty of dry fitting a bit of cursing and some putty.

Had a problem with the under side piece. As you can see it required some putty to avoid a step and to fill some gaps.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Have painted undercarriage and associated doors and have afixed said undercarriage to wings.

Engine nancelles and fuselage halves glued together and awaiting main assembly.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will start to look like an aeroplane soon.

Next up is the mammoth task of masking the greenhouse canopy. I do have a masking sheet which will reduce the time considerably but it still takes time and patience (something I'm lacking at the moment for some reason). Something you have to be in the mood to do. If not then you can get into that mode of 'close enough is good enough'. Something I try to avoid as a good start to a model can quickly deteriorate into 'let's just get thing done ASAP'.

Will be back soon with more.

Cheers

• Like 2

Excellent work to date. I really like the resin parts. The seat painting looks really interesting.  I can tell you it is worth doing the canopies.  I just unmasked my 1/48 ICM Do 215's canopy today and the model really came to lift. These big canopies really look good.