UGEARS : U-9 Grand Prix Car 1:12th Scale

Having been inspired by the various 1:12th Scale Bentley models on here, I've been inspired to get back into model making. Long time since doing this in my childhood in the 70's and 80's and the new re-release of the Airfix Bentley 1:12th scale kit is on pre-order. I'll be looking to take inspiration from others to create a weather look version based on a real Bentley, TBC which one I find and photograph.

So in the meantime I wanted to break myself back into this hobby gently and spotted the UGEARS U-9 Grand Prix Car, 1:12th Scale wooden model kit online...

spacer.png

So over the coming weeks I'll drop some progress images here. Thought this would be a fun build, so enjoy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Looks like it will be a fun project. I'm in.

I thought I'd start gently getting back into it but this looks quite complex if I'm honest 😊

59 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I bought the old man one of their Combine Harvester kits a year ago. I think he's frightened of it.

How long should I wait before I offer to do it for him? 😇

I'll be able to answer that one soon for you 😂😃 me thinks...

So here we go, spent a couple of hours last week putting the engine block together. Care must be taken as the wooden parts are very fragile. I've tried to video the build and will add a link to a new YouTube channel I've created to follow this build but for now here are some pics of the part finished engine block. More photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/188561501@N08/albums/72157714352464856/with/49908823721/

IMG_20200517_013746

IMG_20200517_013835 IMG_20200517_013739

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Part 2 of the Engine build completed now...

IMG_20200523_004625

IMG_20200523_004656

IMG_20200523_004808

So the engine has been installed onto the main chassis plate. I'm guessing that the rubber band elements is used to power the car because yes this will become a windup vehicle that can travel forward and in reverse.

The only issue I have is that the engine is not moving smoothing when I turn the crank by hand. The kit suggests using wax to lubricate the wooden parts that move but I've chosen not to use that as this would attract dust over time and clog up the inner workings. So what I think the issue is, because the crank and valve cam is laser cut from the ply wood, we have sharp square edges, as can be seen in the pic above where the piston 'big ends' are catching on the sharp edges. 

I've therefore taken the radical decision to dismantle the engine and file away all the sharp flat edges to smooth off the cranks with the hope this will make the completed engine rotate more freely. Fingers crossed that fixes the engine sticking when I turn it by hand.

Next stage (if my idea above works) is to build the drive shaft and steering wheel/dash. 

Loving this kit. Very relaxing to work on this during these strange times :)

Edited by UKmodeller-Reborn
  • Like 1

New photos of the next stage of this build. With the engine built and installed onto the chassis, I moved onto the driver shaft, dashboard and steering wheel. A lot easier than the engine build :) Some photos below, or check out the full collection here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188561501@N08/albums/with/72157714655744801

UGEARS U-9 Grand Prix Car wooden kit - Step by step build - Drive shaft and dashboard/steering wheel

IMG_20200604_030041

IMG_20200604_025910

I am enjoying your build log especially the excellent pictures and videos. Thank you for your time and effort putting it all together. I am building the grand prix as well with additional guidance from the UGEARS YouTube English version video series at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFqhqNAoM84&list=PLt6iWKCJhpXmzVp22ru1sVtHhr26UdsI9

I appreciate your tip about rounding sharp edges on some of the moving parts. I am using Howard Feed and Wax wood polish to lubricate and condition the unfinished wood. It is a blend of beeswax, carnauba wax and orange oil which brings out the beauty of the natural wood as well as making it a lot easier to insert parts. See:

www.howardproducts.com

I have used this product on other motion models without any dust accumulation problems over time.

This really is a fun build. UGEARS does a nice job providing a lot of entertainment at a very reasonable price. I look forward to your next post.

1 hour ago, wlell said:

am using Howard Feed and Wax wood polish to lubricate and condition the unfinished wood. It is a blend of beeswax, carnauba wax and orange oil which brings out the beauty of the natural wood as well as making it a lot easier to insert parts.

Nice idea. I may well look at using that across the entire model once built. It will be going into a display case so that'll limit dust build up. It may also give the wood protection from moisture or drying out. It's been a fiddly build but so far all seems to be OK and the sanding off the cranks made a world of difference to the smooth running of the engine 😊

• 5 weeks later...

Finally found some time yesterday to do more on this. The next stage is the chassis build which included the sides to the car and the seat being added, plus dropping the drive shaft and dash into place

IMG_20200607_010930

Also added the bonnet...

IMG_20200607_010930

I've noticed now the drive shaft is installed that the free moving engine has once again become impossible to turn over! I originally wanted this as a static display piece anyway and I'm starting to loose patience with the mechanism 😢

IMG_20200607_010700

I might decide once it's all built to potentially take it all apart again to try and solve the issues of the drive mechanism or simply just enjoy the beauty of it as it is. More photos, just click on the image below. 

UGEARS U-9 Grand Prix Car wooden kit - Step by step build - Engine buildUGEARS U-9 Grand Prix Car wooden kit - Step by step build - Chassis build part 1

• Like 1

Finally completed the car...

IMG_20200713_003854

I'll be honest, I like the overall aesthetics of this kit, of course laser cut wood will have it's limitations but it was a fun little project to have a go at...

IMG_20200713_012145 IMG_20200713_012216

The only disappointing thing is that the mechanism for the car to actually move under it's own power (wound up elastic bands) does not work at all. After I got the engine working smoothly, it's all clogged up again with the rest of the transmission. A part of me thinks forget it, just enjoy it for how it looks, but the engineer in me wants to actually get it working, so still tempted to take it all apart and maybe actually use the wax to lubricate the parts that need it, though I think it's less about lubricating the wood and more down to just the tolerances you get with something like this.

IMG_20200713_012356

Click on the pic below to see more images

UGEARS U-9 Grand Prix Car wooden kit - Step by step build - Completed model

• Like 4