Vettel / Ferrari to part ways at end of 2020

NoSG0

Although he's a very good driver, I always felt he was a little overrated - Mark Webber gave him a good run for his money at Red Bull, and his margin over Raikonnen wasn't as big as Alonso's had been before him at Ferrari. Leclerc is clearly superior. 

• Like 1

I think I agree! I much preferred Mark Webber,I even have his Revell 1/24 kit. Obviously I haven't made it as yet...I also think Alonso is vastly overrated too,well in the last few years anyway. Vetell's replacement won't now be Nico Hulkenberg either.wonder what happens now? Chris.

I'm not surprised, he's overated in my opinion and was lucky at RedBull and Webber wasn't.

Can't really say he achieved much at Ferrari, it really showed the cars potential when Leclerc started outperforming him pretty much from the get go. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he retires now as I can't see him wanting to drop down to a slower car, but only he knows

I read comments from some folks wondering if Hammy was going to Ferrari.  Well, not yet at any rate.

So Sainz to Ferrari to be rear gunner  Seems LeClerc is the future of the team.

Riccardo to McLaren?

Alonso coming back with someone? Possibly?

There are some official announcements to come, so there may be a surprise yet?

11 pages of back and forth. More to come.

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/215082-official-sebastian-vettel-leaves-ferrari/

Edited by NoSG0

8 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Although he's a very good driver, I always felt he was a little overrated

Totally agreed.  During his Red Bull days he had the best car. 

4 hours ago, NoSG0 said:

Riccardo to McLaren?

That would be awesome!

4 hours ago, NoSG0 said:

Alonso coming back with someone? Possibly?

An article in AutoWeek a while back made it sound unlikely Alonso would even be driving for the McLaren entry at Indy.  If they enter.  

Riccardo to McLaren would be fantastic!

35 minutes ago, JCH said:

Riccardo to McLaren would be fantastic!

Riccardo to Ferrari would be even better!! 

Danny's Renault contract will allow him to shift to another team from 2021 and he is made of good Italian stock, so it's a great fit in my books. 

Time will tell and I also agree that Vettel would rather retire than go to the back of the grid. 

Cheers.. Dave 

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Riccardo to Ferrari would be even better!! 

Being a McLaren fan I would beg to differ.  Not to change the subject, but I wonder if they will push back the big rules changes for 2021?  My thinking is that the lessor teams need to get their money out of this years car development.    

And is that Robert Shaw?  That dude was the essence of cool.  

I think the silly-season of driver musical chairs is going to be pretty epic over the coming months... although my money is on Sainz getting the seat. 😎

I can't see Alonso going back there given his split from Ferrari was apparently not so rosy. Still, stranger things have happened.

59 minutes ago, JCH said:

Well it's definitely not me!! 

Yes, Robert Shaw plays 'Rabbit Leader' in the 1969 Battle of Britain movie and I've been a long time fan since I first saw this flick back in my youth. The 2021 rule changes is certainly an interesting issue and your suggestion to push this back makes sense. Now I'd better go back to the Aviation pages of this forum, if feel like a novice here. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Vettel need harmony in the team, but Ferrari didnt gave him anymore, thats why Vettel made a lot of mistakes the last years. Especially since Le Clerc is in the team who is really a good driver and he dont shows respect to Sebastian. Vettel is not the exceptional talent as Michael Schumacher was. I cannot believe he will hire at other team but go in retire time.

8 hours ago, JCH said:

Being a McLaren fan I would beg to differ.  Not to change the subject, but I wonder if they will push back the big rules changes for 2021?  My thinking is that the lessor teams need to get their money out of this years car development.    

I'm a McLaren fan too, but still think Ferrari would be a better move for Ricciardo. But he did leave Red Bull to be a number one driver & that wouldn't happen at Ferrari

9 hours ago, Captain Mark said:

although my money is on Sainz getting the seat. 😎

I can't see Alonso going back there given his split from Ferrari was apparently not so rosy.

Mark - Welcome.  Post some pic of your work!  If you recall Alonso torpedoed McLaren when he left the first time, and returned. 

You were right: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149406/sainz-set-to-replace-vettel-at-ferrari-in-2021

Which leaves room now for Danny to McLaren!!!

Who is going to want to be no.2 to LeClerc? If Ferrari are confident enough in LeClerc they may have to choose between an experienced also-ran who can help develop the car and will play second fiddle (think Barrichello to Schumacher, Raikkonen to Vettel - today that might be Hulkenburg or Bottas), or another young driver keen to develop (Giovinazzi is the obvious candidate in thus category). I don't think Sainz or Ricciardo will fit, given LeClerc's status and talent. Lewis won't want to leave for a worse car. Maybe Verstappen could be enticed by the money.

Some interesting points:

McLaren has a Sainz contract for 2020 and option for 2021.  This could cost some $$$$$.  So he still may go, but I think that it wont be cheap.

Marko says RB cant afford to hire Vettel

Some are speculating that it could be Ricci without a seat as mabe:

Alonso to Renault

Vettel to McLaren.

Maybe Bottas could be at risk? Though I agree that Merc does not want another Hammy vs Rosberg season.

Sainz to Ferrari, Ricciardo to McLaren, who knows to Renault. 

BTW, here's a cool link at the BBC of the 1950 British GP at Silverstone. And they say modern F1 is a procession and boring because one team dominates.........

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/formula1/52641917

Edited by Paul Bradley

Vettel is a bit overrated ?

Vettel brings his mojo to a team. He works very hard off the track, is loved by the team and by the workers at the Ferrari factory. He's not as good at it as Michael was, but his personality brings a lot to Ferrari.

Alas Ferrari F1 management isn't what it used to be. The days of Ross Brown and Jean Todt are long gone (Vettel would have fit perfectly with those two). It's clear that Vettel misses the relation he had with Christian Horner and he gets more respect from Toto Wolf then from his own team boss.

That's why he's leaving Ferrari, a bit the same reason why Michael retired.

I'm sure that Vettel will get hired by a german manufacturer. It might be the Mercedes F1 team, or DTM, or even a new Mercedes Le Mans team. Vettel is a very big name for german motorsport.

It would be interesting if he were to race with the Mercedes F1 team, next to Hamilton (now there's a driver that's overrated). Hamilton is not loved by his team (Toto Wolf calls him a cry-baby) and brings very little to the table for the team and for german motorsport.

Look at Nico Rosberg, he's a big asset for Mercedes since he's retired from F1. I dont think Vettel will retire from F1, but he will definitely continue to play a major role for german motorsport and for german car manufaturers.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pascal said:

Vettel is a bit overrated ?

Pascal- I have sensed for some time that you are personally close to the inner workings at Ferrari. Besides your fabulous models, your reference pictures have been at the molecular level- not easily attainable for the average model guy. I have long admired your work, advice and references.

So your words carry weight with me.

Apologies if I've guessed wrong...:wall:

@ Codger : how are you mate ?

Thank you for your kind words. Yes I do know a lot about Ferrari, but I also know a lot of italians and germans. My italian friends are the real Ferrari affectionados, for them Ferrari is a holy as the Vatican, and Michael Schumacher is a god.

They tell me time and again how much italians adore Vettel and the things he does for the workers at the factory. For those italians Vettel is a much italian as he is german.

My german fans are of course big fans of Vettel and Mercedes, wich leads to very interesting conversations about Ferrari and Vettel.

PS : Funny that you mention my Ferrari models, this week I continued with my F40 production line (after a 5 year break 😪:

• Thanks 2

It's looking more like Carlos to Ferrari; Danny to McLaren: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/13/ferrari-expected-to-sign-carlos-sainz-to-replace-vettel-for-f1-season?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlBVVMtMjAwNTE0&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTAU_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayAUS

Certainly would be a positive for Danny, especially with McLaren going back to Mercedes engines next year ...